Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Even Storm is treated as a side character these days. She's mostly used to prop up other characters. It's disappointing to see.

Part of the problem stems from "creating the new flavor of the month" mutants and that usually lasts for awhile then the characters fade into the background. They have so many mutants that they don't spend enough time to give the majority any kind of long term development that will make a lasting impact.

There will always be certain characters that will get development, major character arcs some life altering event. And it's usually the same clique. That's why it's important to bring in diverse writers and yes, that means poc, that can bring different perspectives to the table and maybe elevate some of the lesser known/used characters.

That will also require a conscientious effort from editorial. The toolbox has a variety of tools. Stop just using the screwdriver.

Extraordinary Member

The known X-men are too iconic now.

We’ll never have a point again where the team retires (O5) making way for a new team (ANAD) to become the main X-Men.

spoilers:

In the Empire: X-Men book Monet was heavily advertised, didn't do much in the first two issues, and spent this entire issue asleep. In X-Force this week, Cecilia Reyes was in two panels, said "Oh hell no!", and then got her throat slashed (despite having the best power in the room to avoid getting injured).
    end of spoilers

For some reason writers just don't feel the need to utilize and uplift the POCs that the franchise has. Sometimes I think that writers/ editors hear our cries for diversity so they put in these characters and then disrespect them out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    spoilers:

In the Empire: X-Men book Monet was heavily advertised, didn't do much in the first two issues, and spent this entire issue asleep. In X-Force this week, Cecilia Reyes was in two panels, said "Oh hell no!", and then got her throat slashed (despite having the best power in the room to avoid getting injured).
    end of spoilers

For some reason writers just don't feel the need to utilize and uplift the POCs that the franchise has. Sometimes I think that writers/ editors hear our cries for diversity so they put in these characters and then disrespect them out of spite.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. Cecilia going out like that made 0 sense, but this is the same week one of the Cuckoos forgot she had a diamond form so I guess these sorts of mistakes will happen. I'm glad for the little of M and Cecilia we've seen in the Dawn of X era so far, both deserve way more shine and appreciation. So does Idie. She had a nice little run during the Schism era and then everyone forgot about her.

I'm surprised people are questioning whether or not M is black...I mean, duh. It's just that, like Sunspot, colorists seem to think having 1 black parent and 1 nonblack parent = looking as white as possible most of the time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A Wakandan mutant school, or one opened by Wakanda in another country, and specifically for mutants, might be one way to sort of organically gather a bunch of black mutants together, without it feeling weirdly coincidental. "All the melanin gathered at this end of the room again. What are the odds?" (Not that we've ever needed an excuse for a whole team of white mutants to get together, like the original five X-Men, so an all black or all Asian team *shouldn't* be any different, but, of course, it wouldn't be seen that way...)
    Well you need to understand it would be seen that way because it would be written that way. I mean even your comment speaks kinda to how the purpose would be to bring people of a specific race together so of course that's how they would write the comic, more than likely they would put a writer on the project who in the first few panels would write something like "black mutants were largely ignored during Krakoa..." Or something like that and no matter what they write after that it won't matter because they will have established this is the PoC book. And yes that's how people are going to look at it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Part of the problem stems from "creating the new flavor of the month" mutants and that usually lasts for awhile then the characters fade into the background. They have so many mutants that they don't spend enough time to give the majority any kind of long term development that will make a lasting impact.

There will always be certain characters that will get development, major character arcs some life altering event. And it's usually the same clique. That's why it's important to bring in diverse writers and yes, that means poc, that can bring different perspectives to the table and maybe elevate some of the lesser known/used characters.

That will also require a conscientious effort from editorial. The toolbox has a variety of tools. Stop just using the screwdriver.
    While I don't disagree with your actual premise of we need more diverse writers I kinda disagree with the reason you said we do. It doesn't have anything to do with the race or even gender of the writer whether a character is successful. It's more business related now where characters they want to bring into the MCU will get 5 books even with low sales. Comics aren't about comics anymore. Comics are literally written as source material for the MCU. And this has been the case for 10 to 20 years since Iron Man came out. Since Iron Man success the comic book industry changed and was setting up the next generation of characters. But the problem is Twitter is a heavy influence on the movies so Twitter and even some of tumblr is determining how characters are written. It's not about race or gender of writer it's about race gender and if they have a Twitter or tumblr account.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The known X-men are too iconic now.

We’ll never have a point again where the team retires (O5) making way for a new team (ANAD) to become the main X-Men.
    This guy gets it! Furthermore, I think that if this same Storm were created just last year, being same great character, she would get low to no love like all the black characters. Sorry, wrong reply post
    Last edited by dkrook; 08-12-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    While I don't disagree with your actual premise of we need more diverse writers I kinda disagree with the reason you said we do. It doesn't have anything to do with the race or even gender of the writer whether a character is successful. It's more business related now where characters they want to bring into the MCU will get 5 books even with low sales. Comics aren't about comics anymore. Comics are literally written as source material for the MCU. And this has been the case for 10 to 20 years since Iron Man came out. Since Iron Man success the comic book industry changed and was setting up the next generation of characters. But the problem is Twitter is a heavy influence on the movies so Twitter and even some of tumblr is determining how characters are written. It's not about race or gender of writer it's about race gender and if they have a Twitter or tumblr account.
    So, by your logic X-office writers circumnavigate black Twitter and listen to all white fans and what they say about who and what should be written?? Naw, can't see that and if that was exactly what they did then now the X-office would be labeled racially tone deaf and just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So, by your logic X-office writers circumnavigate black Twitter and listen to all white fans and what they say about who and what should be written?? Naw, can't see that and if that was exactly what they did then now the X-office would be labeled racially tone deaf and just stupid.
    I mean they kinda are racially tone deaf... JDW did an interview on MLK day about X-leaders and mentioned Storm a total of one time.

We’re not likely gonna have characters reach ‘Storm/Logan/Scott’ popularity but we could certainly have new characters reach Magik/Laura levels of popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Characters get can't development if they don't get used and having diverse creative talent brings in different perspectives and may have ideas on how to elevate poc mutants. Writers tend to choose to develop characters they feel comfortable writing or have some ideas they they want to explore.

One sure fire way to do it is use the character and use them often and to give serious development in meaningful ways. Wolverine was almost a throwaway character in an Incredible Hulk story until somebody thought he was a character that they could flesh out and give more development to. They promoted him very heavy to the point where he was on nearly every team in Marvel.

As far as Twitter/tumbler etc. and the crybabies who are afraid of different, what the hell are they reading the X-Men for?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Characters get can't development if they don't get used and having diverse creative talent brings in different perspectives and may have ideas on how to elevate poc mutants. Writers tend to choose to develop characters they feel comfortable writing or have some ideas they they want to explore.

One sure fire way to do it is use the character and use them often and to give serious development in meaningful ways. Wolverine was almost a throwaway character in an Incredible Hulk story until somebody thought he was a character that they could flesh out and give more development to. They promoted him very heavy to the point where he was on nearly every team in Marvel.

As far as Twitter/tumbler etc. and the crybabies who are afraid of different, what the hell are they reading the X-Men for?
    THIS! Obviously it's harder to elevate a character these days but given them even a few decent story arcs will create a fan base.

I think it's so funny when I see fans post about hating "SJW X-Men" because what have y'all been reading this whole time?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

THIS! Obviously it's harder to elevate a character these days but given them even a few decent story arcs will create a fan base.

I think it's so funny when I see fans post about hating "SJW X-Men" because what have y'all been reading this whole time?
    For the usual (overgrown) adolescent male power fantasy, of course. A lot of people who read superhero comics, especially X-Men, do so not out of resonance or engagement with the moral lessons superhero comics attempt to impart, but for scenes of their favorite characters "being badass," which all too often precludes deeper engagement with the story and the ethos presented by said story. As such, these people don't take very kindly to having their vicarious power fantasies "interrupted" or "sidetracked" by questions of more complex morality that might force them to examine their own deep-seated beliefs and biases.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

True, that's what a lot of folks are asking for. Do something meaningful with the characters, make them engaging and give me a reason to be interested.