Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Since we're being real here... Let me throw this out there.

To be considered black in the United States: The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    M has never identified as a black woman yet to my knowledge not that I care either way. I still love the character. Everybody always says she is being whitewashed but it almost seems to be the other way around.
    Does she need to come out as a black woman?

She’s progressively been colored lighter since her first appearance. She is definitely being white washed.

I would personally categorize M as biracial as it's disingenuous and genetically...inaccurate to classify her as a black woman and you can't conflate being biracial with being black as the two are just not the same. It is dangerous to ascribe blackness indiscriminately to anyone just because one of their ancestors several times removed, might have been black. They might have black ancestry but that does NOT make them black. Monet has an entire NON-black mother and that unequivocally delineates her experiences as a so-called black woman from Idie, for example, who is the progeny of two indisputably, unambiguously black individuals. It's just not the same and it's wrong to embellish the two. The character that looks like a dark-skinned Indian woman or a tanned white woman any time she's illustrated is not going to cut it as it pertains to representation for the average black woman.

You don't have the privilege to tell me what she is and isn't until she identifies with something by her own self.

Who is to say that she might be a more light-skinned Algerian looking person. Because of her Algerian descent.

Sorry I meant to say her fans seem to do the opposite of whitewashing to her. I've embraced her biracialness since day one. I like that she is biracial in my mind it makes her more worldly

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    I would personally categorize M as biracial as it's disingenuous and genetically...inaccurate to classify her as a black woman and you can't conflate being biracial with being black as the two are just not the same. It is dangerous to ascribe blackness indiscriminately to anyone just because one of their ancestors several times removed, might have been black. They might have black ancestry but that does NOT make them black. Monet has an entire NON-black mother and that unequivocally delineates her experiences as a so-called black woman from Idie, for example, who is the progeny of two indisputably, unambiguously black individuals. It's just not the same and it's wrong to embellish the two. The character that looks like a dark-skinned Indian woman or a tanned white woman any time she's illustrated is not going to cut it as it pertains to representation for the average black woman.
    Any time she's drawn? Did you ever see her in Generation X? You're gonna tell me none of these look black to you?
    TKWt6i8.jpg
    Mg6e1Ul.jpg

And when she first appeared as a character, she looked like this.
    Phalanx Covenant (2).jpg
    Still not black?

With Monet it's reversed. her father is black. Meanwhile because there was a white character named St. Croix, people headcanon it as her grandfather & use that to say she's not black. A white Ancestor doesn't = white.

Her skin has gotten whiter and her features have changed because in general, America still deals with tons of racial bias & they don't advertise what's seen as "too black."

The Rock is mixed but he's VERY ambiguous-looking & could pass for damn near any & everything. But in general, his blackness is not focused on much as a celebrity. During his years in wrestling, his Samoan heritage got all the attention, as a result he's not recognized by many fans as the first black WWE Champion, and instead Kofi gets that attention. Namely because he looks more black & many black people can identify with him before they can The Rock, who's seen as getting a lot more opportunity because he's "not too black." As someone questioned, would he & Vin Diesel be getting so much push & stardom if they were dark as Tyrese.

Storm's skin has gotten tan like Halle Berry over the years. Only time they really use dark skinned black women is if they're villains. Otherwise, they mostly stay in the back to get used sparingly if they aren't lightened up & toned down.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-16-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Any time she's drawn? Did you ever see her in Generation X? You're gonna tell me none of these look black to you?
    TKWt6i8.jpg
    Mg6e1Ul.jpg

And when she first appeared as a character, she looked like this.
    Phalanx Covenant (2).jpg
    Still not black?

With Monet it's reversed. her father is black. Meanwhile because there was a white character named St. Croix, people headcanon it as her grandfather & use that to say she's not black. A white Ancestor doesn't = white.

Her skin has gotten whiter and her features have changed because in general, America still deals with tons of racial bias & they don't advertise what's seen as "too black."

The Rock is mixed but he's VERY ambiguous-looking & could pass for damn near any & everything. But in general, his blackness is not focused on much as a celebrity. During his years in wrestling, his Samoan heritage got all the attention, as a result he's not recognized by many fans as the first black WWE Champion, and instead Kofi gets that attention. Namely because he looks more black & many black people can identify with him before they can The Rock, who's seen as getting a lot more opportunity because he's "not too black." As someone questioned, would he & Vin Diesel be getting so much push & stardom if they were dark as Tyrese.

Storm's skin has gotten tan like Halle Berry over the years. Only time they really use dark skinned black women is if they're villains. Otherwise, they mostly stay in the back to get used sparingly if they aren't lightened up & toned down.
    Actually since WWE bought WCW, Ron Simmons is recognized as the first African American heavyweight champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    I choose those because of powers variety, Bling would be more or less the same as Frenzy (the muscle of the team) Locus can fly so Angel Salvadore would not be needed, and Monet is a one woman army but I guess a telephat would be needed.
    Bling! does not have the super strength on par with Frenzy, Shes super dense, and can shoot Diamond shards from her body.......Locus cannot fly only levitate shes a teleporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    We also have Threnody and Astrid Bloom who could shake shit up.. Also wasnt that new wolverine villain Persephone a mutant or nah? And dont forget HUB with the natural hair. I need her back asap.
    lol HUB Yes!
    Astrid Bloom tho.....The X-Fans would be nowhere near ready...
    Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I literally went through the entire Initiative run and found no reference to Deborah Fields being mentioned to be a mutant.
    I mean I dont know what to tell you.... It must've been in one of her other appearances

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    During the Age of X story arc -- But, it's been question if that particular female character was Deborah Fields or Idie Okonkwo.
    Well its still a good chance shes a mutant...

M has never identified as a black woman yet to my knowledge not that I care either way.
    It seems an odd thing to keep track of....esp since you dont care ...

I still love the character. Everybody always says she is being whitewashed but it almost seems to be the other way around.
    I meeeeean Anyone who thinks that is either A. Colorblind or B. Can't possibly know not that much about the character.
    GrindrStone(D)

Whoa I am talking about the fans in this forum not the colorist. I am a huge fan of M and not everyone has their facts in order. I just don't like people making a character something that she may or may not be. I don't care what that character becomes just idon't act as if there's already a flag planted in place telling you which one it is that's what gets me a little annoyed. My eyes she is biracial because she has never said otherwise. I love M for her personality not her race.

I understand she has been every shade of brown she can be but with her ancestry all of it can make sense. Some writer needs to make a definitive comment that could clear it up.

Funny that in order for a character to be black, it has to be "declared" and"proven." But if they're anything else, it's fine. Wolverine never has to declare his whiteness.

I don't think Synch ever said he was black, so I guess he's not either.

Darn, did Frenzy ever say she was black, if not we have no black X-characters besides Storm...and did she ever even say she was black? From Africa, sure but since it's different races in Africa, she may not be black either, if she didn't specify. Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Actually since WWE bought WCW, Ron Simmons is recognized as the first African American heavyweight champ.

Not really. lol People recognize him for WCW accomplishments but it doesn't count after he moved to WWE and is mainly known for
    1. Being a member of Undertaker Ministry
    2. Being a member of Acolytes
    3. Being a heel in his feud with the Undertaker for daring to point out how WWE doesn't push its black stars. Complete with Undertaker saying he played the race card which is harsher in hindsight given Undertaker's own racism that's come to light in recent years.
    4. Being part of The Nation of Domination

Otherwise, even people within the company call Rock the first and get controversy on it because many don't think he counts. When he won the belt, I think commentary declared him the first.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-16-2020 at 04:38 PM.

She is biracial at this point in time. Until I see otherwise that is where I stand. Stop making her something that she is definitively not. Fans and colorist alike.

Funny that in order for a character to be black, it has to be "declared" and"proven." But if they're anything else, it's fine. Wolverine never has to declare his whiteness. I don't think Synch ever said he was black, so I guess he's not either. Darn, did Frenzy ever say she was black, if not we have no black X-characters besides Storm...and did she ever even say she was black? From Africa, sure but since it's different races in Africa, she may not be black either, if she didn't specify. Tsk tsk.
    It is not like that. When M showed up her father had not been introduced yet, just the white looking Saint Croix old man, who was in the Mutant underground movement. At the time I assumed she was just some mix of french and algerian. Since then she has been drawn more arab bereber looking and more black looking. You do not need to assume bad faith just because people thought an algerian caracter with a french surname was some mix of french and algerian.

She is biracial at this point in time. Until I see otherwise that is where I stand. Stop making her something that she is definitively not. Fans and colorist alike.
    Well until many others see otherwise, she's black given how she was predominantly drawn in her very first appearance & GenX. She never declared to be biracial either. Stop making her biracial which isn't definitive either. See, the dismissal goes both ways. lol

And if one really doesn't care about her race, it shouldn't bother them that some will classify her as black given how she looked early on.

Well until many others see otherwise, she's black given how she was predominantly drawn in her very first appearance & GenX. She never declared to be biracial either. Stop making her biracial which isn't definitive either. See, the dismissal goes both ways. lol

And if one really doesn't care about her race, it shouldn't bother them that some will classify her as black given how she looked early on.
    Biracial and black are the same thing in the States anyway, no?