Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It depends on how the person looks which determines how much black they actually got.

Example The Rock is biracial.

But for the most part, he's recognized as biracial or Samoan.

If he's referred to as just "black", it's as controversial as Monet is right now. Even among black people who don't think he counts as an advertisement for black given how ambiguous he is which is pleasing & passing among the non-white media. When he wanted to play John Henry, he got a HUGE amount of blow-back on that and wasn't chosen either.

On the flip, people like Obama or Tia & Tamera Mowrey are biracial but classified as black without much blow-back because they look more black than anything else. They clearly got a heavier dosage of black than The Rock did.

If they get pulled over by the police, they'll get harrassed as black quicker than the Rock will, and it's still many people who don't know he's half-black and just recently found out.
    So if you are biracial you are black unless you happen to look more like other non white group, like The Rock does. Gotcha. For the record I am from the Canary Islands, where people is mostly a spanish/bereber mixture, ranging from light skinned to pretty dark. M was the first character that I thought would look kind of like that, so I was kind of biased. Now we are back to just jetstream, who showed up in Hellions as a white person.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Maybe if one is non-black thats the attitude you have but its quite an oversimplification. A black person knows theres a difference between a black and biracial individual. Theres a level of racism associated by lumping al into the same category especially since their experience is not the same. This isnt the thread for it, but society just viewing any biracial as black comes with its own problematic issues which is felt across industries and every day life
    Oh, I absolutely think it is a superweird thing to do, but it is how I thought things went in the states. Sorry I was not clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Funny that in order for a character to be black, it has to be "declared" and"proven." But if they're anything else, it's fine. Wolverine never has to declare his whiteness.

I don't think Synch ever said he was black, so I guess he's not either.

Darn, did Frenzy ever say she was black, if not we have no black X-characters besides Storm...and did she ever even say she was black? From Africa, sure but since it's different races in Africa, she may not be black either, if she didn't specify. Tsk tsk.

Not really. lol People recognize him for WCW accomplishments but it doesn't count after he moved to WWE and is mainly known for
    1. Being a member of Undertaker Ministry
    2. Being a member of Acolytes
    3. Being a heel in his feud with the Undertaker for daring to point out how WWE doesn't push its black stars. Complete with Undertaker saying he played the race card which is harsher in hindsight given Undertaker's own racism that's come to light in recent years.
    4. Being part of The Nation of Domination

Otherwise, even people within the company call Rock the first and get controversy on it because many don't think he counts. When he won the belt, I think commentary declared him the first.
    Yeah, WWE officially recognizes him as the 1st Black heavyweight. While it may have happened in WCW, once it was purchased by WWE, they officially made it apart of their canon.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 08-16-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Besides Storm which Black female is poised/trained/ready to be the leader of a team?

I know Blink was co-leading Exiles but that was Blink from AoA.

So who's ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]Besides Storm which Black female is poised/trained/ready to be the leader of a team?

So who's ready?[/COLOR]
    CeCe.......
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Besides Storm which Black female is poised/trained/ready to be the leader of a team?

So who's ready?
    If they do x-corp as the financial team, M should be the leader. But I do not know if that would be a very interesting comic. I kinda could see Frenzy in the place of Psylocke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    <Snip!>It seems an odd thing to keep track of....esp since you dont care ...

I meeeeean Anyone who thinks that is either A. Colorblind or B. Can't possibly know not that much about the character.
    A.) I am legally red/green (Jean/Rachel) color blind

B.) If I had to quantify my current digital comic collection you'd have to add my screen name to your ignore (Please don't do that -- I like dialoguing with you) list. Have you not noticed that I can readily post pics that most can't even find on the net?
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-16-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    You don't have the privilege to tell me what she is and isn't until she identifies with something by her own self.

Who is to say that she might be a more light-skinned Algerian looking person. Because of her Algerian descent.
    This is an interesting point. She could be descended from the Berbers. They're odd in how as a group they have a wide range of skin tones(some are actually descended from Romans). Monet's mother(Jamila) was "a descendant of the Algerian royalty".. but modern-day Algeria IRL doesn't HAVE royalty in the same sense that England does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Algeria It might be that she's related to "the power" and de-facto royalty even if not officially. Which goes back to the Berber thing. Algeria doesn't have "black" people in the same sense that Congo and Nigeria do. It has Berbers, Arabs, and people of mixed heritage. They're mid-range in skin tone.

We know her father Cartier had dark skin, and a similar facial shape to his father Louis(Monet's grandfather). Lenore St. Croix also had light skin, but Lenore is his STEP-mother. We don't even know the name of Cartier's mother.

So yeah, Monet is 1/2 Arab/Berber, 1/4 Monegasque(white), and maybe 1/4 "black". It makes sense for her to have relatively dark skin, but I don't think making her look like a typical black person is a good idea.
    Which... well she's drawn looking a lot like this person(of Amazigh origin):
    berberwoman.jpg
    long wavy black hair, medium-dark skin, and similar face shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Biracial and black are the same thing in the States anyway, no?
    That gets super weird when it comes to official documentation. Some paperwork cares about your ethnic identity/cultural heritage, and some cares about the way you look. It gets weird with mixed heritage since a lot of things assume only one. Which is where the the weirdness comes in. mixed ethnicity does not always mean white+ something else. What do you put down if you're black/hispanic/chinese? A lot of forms make you choose.

I used to work with this guy who people always thought was white... he was actually half Korean and part Native American. His actual facial features and skin tone weren't Caucasian. But he didn't look Korean or Native, and he had light skin. Apparently having dissimilar genes made for a weird mix where the conflict ended up making his features a bit generic.

BANNED
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-17-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    You notice how everyone have different skin colors.

There’s even someone who has a grey skin… When colorists are not lazy…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

A.) I am legally red/green (Jean/Rachel) color blind
    lol not sure how im supposed to feel about that.....Hounds Rachel...or rattail Rachel?? lol
    B.) If I had to quantify my current digital comic collection you'd have to add my screen name to your ignore (Please don't do that -- I like dialoguing with you) list. Have you not noticed that I can readily post pics that most can't even find on the net?
    I Wasnt tryna call you out or anything! Keep posting them pics tho!
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This is an interesting point. She could be descended from the Berbers. They're odd in how as a group they have a wide range of skin tones(some are actually descended from Romans). Monet's mother(Jamila) was "a descendant of the Algerian royalty". It might be that she's related to "the power" and de-facto royalty even if not officially. Which goes back to the Berber thing. Algeria doesn't have "black" people in the same sense that Congo and Nigeria do. It has Berbers, Arabs, and people of mixed heritage. They're mid-range in skin tone.
    I meeeeean Miss Algeria might have something to say about that......
    Last edited by BroHomo; 08-17-2020 at 03:19 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

Yes... I bought the issue when it hit the shelves back in the day And, the grey skin dude is Angelo (Skin) Espinosa.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    So yeah, Monet is 1/2 Arab/Berber, 1/4 Monegasque(white), and maybe 1/4 "black". It makes sense for her to have relatively dark skin, but I don't think making her look like a typical black person is a good idea.
    Damn that's a lotta fractions just to try and prove a comic character isnt black....I don't see how you can look at this pic of M and her brother...

and how her sisters look, and her Dad

and Still get maybe 1/9 black. *sideeye*

After reading the crap Miss Algeria got for winning, and how a certain demographic has been treated in Algeria. M reppin Algeria, Muslims, and Black would be a step in the right direction
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/o...be-muslim.html

Yeah See looks kiiiiiinda obvious Synch and M share similar tones
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

Well Skin has a physical mutation
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I meeeeean Miss Algeria might have something to say about that......
    She might... But, Miss Algeria just happened to be sightseeing in affluent neighborhood within NYC -- and some Karen/Bob called 911 and told them a black woman had just held them up at gunpoint -- you could bet your bottom dollar that even if the caller told 911 that the black woman fled the scene on a Harley Davidson going north the police would still stop and detain every black woman walking within a 10 block radius including Miss Algeria because the "One Drop Rule" is still the law here in the Good 'ol USA.

She might... But, Miss Algeria just happened to be sightseeing in affluent neighborhood within NYC -- and some Karen/Bob called 911 and told them a black woman had just held them up at gunpoint -- you could bet your bottom dollar that even if the caller told 911 that the black woman fled the scene on a Harley Davidson going north the police would still stop and detain every black woman walking within a 10 block radius including Miss Algeria because the "One Drop Rule" is still the law here in the Good 'ol USA.
    Yeah....We are saying the same thing lol
    GrindrStone(D)