Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Why do people think Kevin Feige will do the X-Men justice?

I don't get why people think the MCU X-Men will be the best ever. After Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home I really don't have any faith they can pull off X-Men. Maybe Fantastic 4 but only because the bar has been set so low.

Because he's done [mostly] everything else justice? The Spider-Man movies were made with interference/collaboration from Sony, who clearly have no idea what they're doing with that franchise. At the very least, he cares enough about Marvel's characters not to make the same egregious mistakes Fox did.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Because he's done [mostly] everything else justice? The Spider-Man movies were made with interference/collaboration from Sony, who clearly have no idea what they're doing with that franchise. At the very least, he cares enough about Marvel's characters not to make the same egregious mistakes Fox did.
    well I personally disagree the mcu has been hit or miss when it comes to depicting characters. Iron Man and Captain America are fantastic but they never could hit the sweet spot with Thor or Hulk both of which going through huge personality changes. They also dropped Hank and Jan from the Avengers and made them bland old mentor types to Scott and Hope.

I thought the original X Trilogy was fantastic with First Class and DoFP also being amazing. Sure there have been some stinkers

Fox failed with both Cyclops and Storm.

Advantage: Feige
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

I loved Cyclops and Storm in the original movies. Not to mention you have to take into account these movies had much smaller budgets and were shorter. Also Marvel still failed most of their villains. I'd argue failing Hulk and Thor is a bigger offense and depending on who you ask Spidey

That's like saying Obama was President, so there's no more racism.
    Then why don't people hate the Avengers? Literally all we have seen throughout these movies is support for the Avengers
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-29-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I loved Cyclops and Storm in the original movies.
    Compare Scott and Ororo in the comics to their Fox-men versions. Fox failed them utterly, and they are the leaders of the team. Feige's Tony and Steve are better than their comics counterparts. Feige elevated them. I can't wait to see his Cyke and Storm!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I loved Cyclops and Storm in the original movies. Not to mention you have to take into account these movies had much smaller budgets and were shorter. Also Marvel still failed most of their villains. I'd argue failing Hulk and Thor is a bigger offense and depending on who you ask Spidey
    You're in the minority there mate, Cyclops and Storm are genuinely thought to be shafted. Cyclops undoubtedly got the worst of it. His screen time in X2 and X3 is undeniably limited to say the least (a pity because i think Marsden was a good choice). Storm was fine at best imo. Halle Berry wasn't great and there was nothing about Storm that felt like the Storm we all know and love. I'm not gonna talk too much about Thor because I think he's been on the up and up since Ragnarok. Hulk is at a disadvantage because they can't give him a solo film due to film rights, which is a shame (But hopefully having him share a movie with Wolverine can get past this a bit?). Spider-Man is another thing entirely. I personally don't mind the changes made to the character, as I feel his characterisation in the MCU is something we haven't seen before, but I understand some of the problems people have with it.

Then why don't people hate the Avengers? Literally all we have seen throughout these movies is support for the Avengers
    Avengers are different. Barring Thor (who is an alien/God), all the Avengers have man made powers. Tony has a suit, Steve was given a serum by the government, Hawkeye shoots good, Hulk was a science experiment gone wrong. Mutants are different. Mutants signify the end of humanity, they signify the irrelevance of humanity. This is a staple of the X-Men brand. Busiek and Ross' "Marvels" explained this perfectly. The thought that there are people born with these gifts scares people. Think of how the world has been defined by fear since 9/11. Terrorists can be anyone, from anywhere. Now, in Marvel, who has powers is not limited to the few people who can afford a billion dollar suit of armour, it can be the guy next door who wakes up one day and can shoot laser beams from his eyes. It can be your old childhood friend who one day finds out she can put you in a coma by touching you. It's not the same as the Avengers or any other super group. It's frightening for the average person, especially in today's political climate.

Also, MCU is getting better at approaching more difficult ideas. Civil War, IW/Endgame, Black Panther etc have all been compelling in regards to their characters and their goals. I think they are at the right place to be experimenting with X-Men. Not to mention MCU have started to really develop their villains, so now the X-Men's rogues gallery can be explored fully, unlike in the FOX films who were dead set in their grounded approach. Feige has developed a world where we could possibly see even Mojo fight the X-Men, and I say let's fricking go.

And we all want to see those outfits.

As far as Cyclop James did a good job but he got a bad script. I think Bryan Singer just lost interest in developing Storm after his 2 main pics Angela Bassett and Janet Jackson had to turn the roles down. Angela wanted more money but Janet actually toured the set but her music world tour got in the way so it was a scheduling conflict. I know she would've killed it as Storm!

I love the Avengers movies but they still never really did it for me like the X-Men. I think it's cause of the connection. X-Men are like family members while Avengers are just friends who meet up to handle some business and then go about their way. It doesn't feel genuine like the X-Men. As far as the Hulk movies I own both. I never got what was the huge problem with them other than they didn't gross as much as expected.

I loved Cyclops and Storm in the original movies. Not to mention you have to take into account these movies had much smaller budgets and were shorter. Also Marvel still failed most of their villains. I'd argue failing Hulk and Thor is a bigger offense and depending on who you ask Spidey.
    Wow, I didn't think anyone liked Storm in any of the X-moves. The acting was stiff and not an accurate portrayal of her personality.

Avengers Age of Ultron? There is not universal support for the Avengers.

As for why people have such hope for the X-Men under Feige? Well his track record shows that people enjoy what he's done in building the MCU.

Fox's record, not so much.

We do not know yet how they are going to play up the Mutant hate in these movies because they haven't happened yet. We will see but I trust them.

And the Spiderman movies might not be amazing but they are good and Tom Holland in the Avengers movies is fantastic. He might not have the best movies but he is the best movie Peter Parker. At least to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Too generous.

Astonishing Member

Fox has done so much damage to the X-Men brand. It's hard to see Feige bring financial success after the franchise has been tainted.

Fantastic Member

well I personally disagree the mcu has been hit or miss when it comes to depicting characters. Iron Man and Captain America are fantastic but they never could hit the sweet spot with Thor or Hulk both of which going through huge personality changes. They also dropped Hank and Jan from the Avengers and made them bland old mentor types to Scott and Hope.

I thought the original X Trilogy was fantastic with First Class and DoFP also being amazing. Sure there have been some stinkers
    The original trilogy had its flaws. Storm and Cyclops for one. Need I quote Storm asking what happens to a toad...gagg. Then X3 was just a terrible movie. Not to mention Wolverine Origins. Then Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    The original trilogy had its flaws. Storm and Cyclops for one. Need I quote Storm asking what happens to a toad...gagg. Then X3 was just a terrible movie. Not to mention Wolverine Origins. Then Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.
    Which ironically was written by Joss Whedon

The main reason I’m hopeful for the MCU X-Men is because Feige has made me care about properties that I previously had no interest in. He elevated the Avengers and GotG, and actually got me to see Captain America movies in theaters. If he can put even half of that energy into the X-Men, then that gives me something to be excited about.