Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

It’s funny because people still say Supes is perfect despite pretty much all of his stories for the last couple of decades being about how flawed he is.
    Young Justice - Is a dick to Kon and takes an entire season to realize he needs to reach out to Kon
    How many people do you know would be fine with a clone being created without their knowledge or consent? Hell, Clark's reaction in the show is actually better than in the comics where he left the boy in the care of a money-grubbing agent. Superman has always had a hands off approach when it comes to other members of the Super-family. The issue with the show is them not acknowledging the implications of Clark being violated but calling him a dick is ignoring a lot context and even then, it's just one season.

DCAU - He screws up spectacularly in the finale of STAS, and the Cadmus arc in JLU is all about him making mistake after mistake
    How was the finale of STAS his fault? He was brainwashed. It's like blaming Bucky for what he did under Hydra's control. The Cadmus arc is also an exaggeration. Everyone made mistakes there and the situation is as much Waller's fault if not entirely.

Rocksteady SS - He’s evil (albeit under mind control)
    See above. This one isn't even showing him as flawed because, again, he is not in control of himself.

DCEU - Is a colossal failure as a hero and is going to be evil until Batman saves the day
    Did I miss the part in MoS were Superman fails to defeat Zod and Batman swoops in or when Batman kills Doomsday? I get you don't like this take but at least actually criticize what you've seen happening on screen.

Smallville - Oh boy does he have to be dragged kicking and screaming towards being Superman
    Clark was saving people as early as the first episode without any pressure. His issues were the Jor-El A.I. trying to control his life and remove his empathy for human. You know, that thing Superman needs to actually care about people. This revisionist history about how Clark actually acted in Smallville seems to be based on people disliking the lack of Tom Welling in a Superman costume.

I don’t know how anyone can still view him as perfect since the last time he was portrayed in an unabashedly positive light was uh Donner maybe? At some point they need to let him actually be the “ultimate” hero because their deconstruction hard on has made him look pretty crappy.
    Here's the thing - I'm not particularly fond of evil Superman either or at least how it is handled. But the perception of Superman being perfect likely has to do with fans reacting to any portrayal that shows any weakness or difficulty overcoming obstacles as an aberration worthy of total contempt. It isn't the only reason but it is definitely a major one. Just look at the versions you listed - the only one that outright counts as a bad portrayal of Superman is Injustice where he's a villain and even there they point out that this is not how he is supposed to act. Everything else is either him being victimized or making mistakes that have very, very extenuating circumstances.

The only reason the Donner movies portray him as a positive figure is by ignoring the implications of his actions.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-24-2020 at 07:03 AM.