Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still not quite sure what Boba's identity is in this show. He's a crime lord, except he doesn't actually commit any crimes. He also seems to just go along with his allies' wants and needs more than he makes his own decisions. At this point he's the new mayor instead of a Daimyo. For "The Book of Boba Fett" I still feel like they didn't make Boba distinctive enough as a character in his own show. That it got hijacked by the Mandalorian didn't help.

I was disappointed they killed Cobb off, but then the post-credit scene showed him about to get modified...but I'm not sure if that was worth a post-credit scene.
    So Boba's Dad was a every creature for itself BountyDude and what did it get him? Decapitated. Boba followed in his Dad's BountyDude ways and ended up in a Sarlacc's gullet.

But Boba learned the value of community from the Sand People. So he still wants to crime (tried to get the Pikes to pay protection) but NOW it's for the benefit of his adopted tribe.

But don't get it twisted. Boba and company are STILL extortionists. As in "Nice Cantina. Be a shame if something were to happen to it" extortionists.

However even the Real Life Mob would be obliged to beat hell out of any mope who tried robbing a store that was actually all paid up on protection money. Unless said thief actually worked for the Mob, of course.

On a planet like Tattooine that seems to have no Law Enforcement on it at all beside Tim Olyphant and Deputy Dead Meat this hilariously enough, makes Boba the Law by default.

And if the Pikes are willing to blow up probably the most profitable going concern on Mos Espa if not all of Tattooine, Space Jennifer Beals's joint just to prove a point, then the populace can't hope to fare any better.

So in this context Boba gets to be the good guy ( a situation even he is weirded out by) since he actually fought for his latest adopted community while his crooked peers sat on their hands and let Space Jennifer Beals get bombed.

So Boba's now learned to fight for things bigger than himself, even if he hasn't quite adopted Mando's sense of honor yet.

While Cad Bane of all people is going around saying: "You DO realize this guy is an @$$hole right? Remember?"

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I know they set up the rancor getting in on the action right away so I was expecting it...but I didn't think they'd go full kaiju battle with it which was awesome.

Other than that though I felt like this needed more time to develop for the fight to feel worth while. Sure, the mando and grogu stuff was awesome to watch but it didn't give us any development for Fett or what was going on in the city.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

As someone here mentioned before Cad Bane should have showed up sooner. He and Boba have an extensive history and I would have liked to seen it explored. Why couldn't some the tank flashbacks been Boba in his bounty hunting days and his relationship with Bane?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    As someone here mentioned before Cad Bane should have showed up sooner. He and Boba have an extensive history and I would have liked to seen it explored. Why couldn't some the tank flashbacks been Boba in his bounty hunting days and his relationship with Bane?
    If they hadn't wasted time with the Mayor, and then the Hutts we could have gotten to Bane and the Pykes sooner as the antagonists. By the time we got to them on the show there was nothing left to do but have a big fight. I would have liked a more complicated plot in the vein of other crime stories. Ultimately, it did the Star Wars thing and stayed with western style storytelling, peppered with some other movie genre references. It was fun, but could have been a lot more.

I definitely think they could have done more with the flashbacks. Show off more of the old Boba before his "Tusken reinvention."

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Boba was dead....until he wasn't
    Fennec was dead...until she wasn't
    Cobb Vanth was dead...until that last credit scene.

Cad Bane escaping death will not surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Don't forget Darths Maul and Sidious...
    I just wanted to stay within the confines of the show. Not get into every "non-death" in SW.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'm not surprised Grogu chose the chainmail instead of the lightsaber, but I am disappointed that there wasn't a "trick" to the choice Luke was giving him and we'd really get a Mandalorian Jedi. I kept waiting for Grogu to bring out the lightsaber, but nope. I'm happy to see Grogu and Din back together, but I feel like they could have kept them apart for longer and not immediately undercut the finale of Mando season 2 in a completely different show. I guess the only thing Grogu got out of his training for Luke is more mastery of the Force that he can use to back Din up. Also Luke just sends Grogu alone because I guess he's got more meditating to do or something.

Fennec assassinating all the other crime bosses was cool, but she should've left the Pyke for Boba so he could get revenge for the Tuskens.
    See, I'm not convinced we won't actually see some of that in Mando season 3. Luke sending Grogu back alone after choosing the chain mail could have been a test to see how he handled the situation- which he did better than Luke, who when faced with a Rancor just killed it. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke shows up again in Mando Season 3 to give Grogu Yoda's lightsaber, and maybe also teach Din how to wield the Darksaber properly.

I also felt that the final Pyke should have been killed by Boba; but on the other hand, it was Boba who ordered their deaths, so it was by his hand- from a certain point of view

I have to say though, the most shocking thing I never thought I'd see on Disney plus was the Mayor being hanged like that. Sure, all you saw was their feat, but you heard their neck break and saw him quivering, then hanging still in the center of the frame.

I thought the series was pretty good, with a few missteps. I will never like those 50's diner-looking bikes. I thought that Fennic and Boba were far too trusting of the other crime lords, and rolled my eyes that they were surprised they were betrayed. And I really feel that this could have worked better if this and Mando Season 3 ran concurrently, so that there could have been a true crossover between the two shows. Then it wouldn't have felt like the Mandalorian hijacked Boba's show for a few episodes. In a show with Boba Fett in the title, I want to see Boba, and I want to hear him talk.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    See, I'm not convinced we won't actually see some of that in Mando season 3. Luke sending Grogu back alone after choosing the chain mail could have been a test to see how he handled the situation- which he did better than Luke, who when faced with a Rancor just killed it. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke shows up again in Mando Season 3 to give Grogu Yoda's lightsaber, and maybe also teach Din how to wield the Darksaber properly.

I also felt that the final Pyke should have been killed by Boba; but on the other hand, it was Boba who ordered their deaths, so it was by his hand- from a certain point of view

I have to say though, the most shocking thing I never thought I'd see on Disney plus was the Mayor being hanged like that. Sure, all you saw was their feat, but you heard their neck break and saw him quivering, then hanging still in the center of the frame.

I thought the series was pretty good, with a few missteps. I will never like those 50's diner-looking bikes. I thought that Fennic and Boba were far too trusting of the other crime lords, and rolled my eyes that they were surprised they were betrayed. And I really feel that this could have worked better if this and Mando Season 3 ran concurrently, so that there could have been a true crossover between the two shows. Then it wouldn't have felt like the Mandalorian hijacked Boba's show for a few episodes. In a show with Boba Fett in the title, I want to see Boba, and I want to hear him talk.
    Maybe it also would have made Grogu's return more impactful if we had gotten to see more of Din in his own series solo building up to what we got here.

I did like this show but I am rather "meh" on it and agree with others it could have been more.

Bane should have definitely been introduced earlier, probably even make him the one who killed Boba's Tusken tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I mean, Mando's bisected two people in half - those were a little more surprising to me.

Maybe it also would have made Grogu's return more impactful if we had gotten to see more of Din in his own series solo building up to what we got here.
    Totally agree. I have no idea if what they have planned for S3 needs to have them together, but if they'd spent 2-3 episodes with Grogu/Luke and Mando going on that quest to redeem himself, then have Grogu drop out and return to Mando, it might have been more impactful than immediately undermining the finale of S2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Bane should have definitely been introduced earlier, probably even make him the one who killed Boba's Tusken tribe.
    That definitely would have made the showdown more impactful, especially since Boba only indirectly took the Pyke's out through Fennec.

They crammed alot into one season. I actually think that Bane would have been better as a Season 2 villain if there were one. This would have given them time to do more backstory between Boba and Bane.

Mid credit scene was meh. It would have been better if they used it on Cad Bane and set up Season 2.

I have to wonder: would Boba Fett have "protected" the people if the Pykes and Mayor had paid tribute? He was willing to take money from them as protection when he was with the Tuskens and he ran afoul of the Pykes because they didn't respect his position and tried to take him out. I'm not sure when the people became a priority for him.

Extraordinary Member

I think that the present day story for Boba was likely the victim of rushed production - they had a firm idea for his backstory, they had two Mandalorian episodes they could get done early, and they had an idea for a massive battle episode starring Boba… but the material connecting all of that was improvised, and at some point they got cold feet on “crime lord” Boba.

It feels like, in hindsight, they really decided they wanted feudal lord Boba, but by then had a bunch of scripts finished and production started, and just never got around to putting in any kind of expositon discussion to ease the turn. Something similar likely explains why Cad Bane took so late to show up - his return as the final boss was probably also made after the first three episodes were shooting.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    and at some point they got cold feet on “crime lord” Boba.
    I don't think so. I think they did exactly what they wanted with crime lord Boba. Which is nothing, but only because that's not what Boba Fett is.

Because Boba doesn't want to be a crime lord. He wants to be a defender, a guardian. He just doesn't have a context for how to do that beyond "rule the underworld that's causing the problem."

When Boba loses his Tusken family, he realizes just what the violence from his old life really does to people who don't deserve it. And he sets out to keep that violence from spilling out against innocents again. He's looking for an excuse to stand between the people of Mos Espa and the violence, not to actually rule the underworld. Taking Jabba's throne is just the only way he knows how to do that, given the life he's lived.

It's why his final battle with Cad Bane CAN'T be personal. Why they didn't have Bane be the one who wiped out the Tuskens. It's not about vengeance for Boba Fett, it's about principles. He's fighting Cad Bane because Cad Bane is the man he used to be. Cold, brutal, without limit. When Boba kills Bane he's finally leaving that part of himself well and truly behind.

Honestly, the biggest problems with BoBF were 1) too subtle with it's purpose and probably poorly executed expression of it's themes since most people seem to have missed them and 2) fan expectations of what the show SHOULD HAVE BEEN. They never tried to tell a story about crime lord Boba Fett because that's not what this story is, or ever was. But that's the show most people seem to have expected and they aren't taking that well. (Aside from what I think are legitimately fair criticisms of the the execution, because I do think that went awry along the way as well.)