Page 114 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214614 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I was watching failed MMO video on YT and there was an Avengers game where Tchalla could cloak and shoot energy daggers. I saw the clip but cant remember what called. Anyone know?
    Pc game called Marvel Heros

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    As I said in another post, Coates brought in sales temporarily but looking back at his run unless Marvel is run by fools they can’t possibly think his direction is worth doubling down on. It was a commercial flop. But because Marvel isn’t really looking for competent black comic creators and is more interested in Negro whisperers like Coates I’m sure we’ll be getting more of the subpar writing he and his friends are putting out. You’ll notice that neophytes to comic writing like John Ridley and NK Jemisin weren’t given tentpole franchises when DC put them on.

They got books with new characters from established franchises or wrote an out of continuity story. Marvel let a dude who had never published a single work of fiction headline their biggest black hero at the height of his push with virtually zero checks on anything he did (until the relaunch, which I’m sure came with a demand for more action). And once the built in audience bailed (because MCU fans rarely become long-term readers), all you had was a base of BP fans, which current sales indicate were not feeling his direction (though obviously I’m sure there are a couple long time fans who like/are ambivalent to Coates). The Coates experiment was a failure on pretty much every level in terms of the overall health and presentation of T’Challa and his world. Marvel should’ve given him a Dora or Storm mini series that tied tangentially to the main BP book, which should’ve gone to an experience writer. That’s clearly who he wanted to write anyway and his dearth of ideas and eye for literary bullcrap might’ve been able to shine in that capacity.
    Despite having a solo at the height of his popularity, we've lost five years of good BP stories. Then we get KiB:BP to see what a solo run should have looked like. We finally get T'Challa leading the Avengers and his solo is just a hot mess. If someone had told us that T'Challa would be leading the Avengers and have a solo simultaneously, we would have flipped out. Now we're just flipping fingers.

@Redjack. I just found out you're doing a Green Lantern book coming soon. Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Exactly. This should have been treated as an entire fight. MCU wakanda struck again. Would have loved to hear Chadwick give that entire speech on the run up throw down with Black Dwarf.
    Yeah, that fight should have gone just a little bit longer. He should have had a moment like Steve when he caught Proxima's spear. Did you see the look on Proxima's and Corvus Glaize's face when he did that?

They thought something like that was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, that fight should have gone just a little bit longer. He should have had a moment like Steve when he caught Proxima's spear. Did you see the look on Proxima's and Corvus Glaize's face when he did that?

They thought something like that was impossible.
    Yeah, we aren't asking for anything out of the ordinary in IW at all.

Hulk vs Thanos

Strange vs Maw

IM and SM vs Cul

Vision, Wanda, Cap, Widow, Falcon vs PRoxima and Corvus

Red Planet Crew vs Thanos

Okoye, Widow, Witch vs Proxima

Hulkbuster vs Cul

Cap and Vision vs Corvus

I don't think it is being a "selfish" fan to ask for one of those moments too in a movie filled with thsoe moments lol. I liked T'challa's part in IW... I just wanted a "boss fight." He got to be a king, and then have a decent cool running/smash goons moment. But it was a fight in his home country with his people dying after a very popular movie... wanting him to get his "boss fight moment" is natural, especially in a thread filled with T'challa fanboys.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Hulk vs Thanos

Strange vs Maw

IM and SM vs Cul

Hulkbuster vs Cul

Cap and Vision vs Corvus

I don't think it is being a "selfish" fan to ask for one of those moments too in a movie filled with thsoe moments lol. I liked T'challa's part in IW... I just wanted a "boss fight." He got to be a king, and then have a decent cool running/smash goons moment. But it was a fight in his home country with his people dying after a very popular movie... wanting him to get his "boss fight moment" is natural, especially in a thread filled with T'challa fanboys.
    And then with not having him for the majority of Endgame(Although him coming through the portal almost made a grown man cry. Me and my daughter where in the theater and people went wild when that happened.), it would have been cool to have a signature moment in IW.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Hulk vs Thanos

Strange vs Maw

IM and SM vs Cul

Hulkbuster vs Cul

Cap and Vision vs Corvus

Remember the movie was done before Black Panther came out. So when the movie took no prisoners, it was in theory too late to add or do anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The thing is it still comes down to being a NAME-that can get your book attention in places where comics are ignored.

Both came with a built in audience but the one Marvel wanted was probably the one Coates had. Pretty much the same with all those writers (aside from Vita)-they all had fanbases not linked to comics.

Marvel might have thought he would grow into liking Panther and we know how that went....

And remember other than Miles-who was Coates competing with for black hero readership? Nobody thought Spawn was going to get a resurgence like he is having now.
    Nobody expect Bitter Root, Seven Secrets, Blood Parish, Abbott, Excellence, Far Sector and Killadelphia to be that good.
    John Ridley was the warm up with Next Batman and Other Side of Dc Universe. Redjack was the main course with Green Lantern and Panther.
    And we STILL got Nubia, Shilo Norman, Green Lantern main book, Jace Fox, Abbott, a book about a black Mob doctor, Shadow Man and Milestone coming.

Excluding Ridley-Coates has a bigger name than them. Yet Black Panther is a mess.

Coates to his credit bought in sales. He just couldn't keep it up mainly due to STORY. There is a reason Miles Morales keeps getting multiple printings.
    You just proved my case though. Marvel went tleith the "bigger clout intellectual" who repeatedly stated multiple times he didn't like the character he was writing, showed obvious disdain for said character, he even said in interviews that he turned on his scripts for the entire S1 early as well as stating long time fans would not like the story... Abd they somehow thought that a bunch of finicky untested literary types would stick around??? I mean how short sighted can someone be? It's all about sustainability. It doesn't matter if initial sales are big if the return investment drops off rapidly and thr. You spend the next several years having to bail out the failure of a book and then end up putting said book on hold for a year. Literally he pissed away the sustained fan base in hopes that they would be replaced by another that gives zero fucks about the character or comics and then this is reinforced by Coates himself not caring about the character either. It's such a bizarre and extremely risky business move that fails more often than it succeeds. The point is to draw in a new audience while keeping the ones that consistently sustain the book. Not dropping them in favor of another who WONT stick around and then over the years not even improve on writing, pacing, storytelling, or even following and adhering to continuity or even worse, your own continuity.

It's not just the story, it's everything I listed above that is the issue. On too piling real world **** into a franchise that's supposed to be a what if black excellence franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    You just proved my case though. Marvel went tleith the "bigger clout intellectual" who repeatedly stated multiple times he didn't like the character he was writing, showed obvious disdain for said character, he even said in interviews that he turned on his scripts for the entire S1 early as well as stating long time fans would not like the story... Abd they somehow thought that a bunch of finicky untested literary types would stick around??? I mean how short sighted can someone be? It's all about sustainability. It doesn't matter if initial sales are big if the return investment drops off rapidly and thr. You spend the next several years having to bail out the failure of a book and then end up putting said book on hold for a year. Literally he pissed away the sustained fan base in hopes that they would be replaced by another that gives zero fucks about the character or comics and then this is reinforced by Coates himself not caring about the character either. It's such a bizarre and extremely risky business move that fails more often than it succeeds. The point is to draw in a new audience while keeping the ones that consistently sustain the book. Not dropping them in favor of another who WONT stick around and then over the years not even improve on writing, pacing, storytelling, or even following and adhering to continuity or even worse, your own continuity.

It's not just the story, it's everything I listed above that is the issue. On too piling real world **** into a franchise that's supposed to be a what if black excellence franchise.

I just pray that whoever the new guy is has the energy of Narcisse rather than Coates. If it’s the latter, then T’Challa is screwed for a looooooong time.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I just pray that whoever the new guy is has the energy of Narcisse rather than Coates. If it’s the latter, then T’Challa is screwed for a looooooong time.
    Man don't say that. We don't need 5 more years of The Bland Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The problem with Coates isn't that his name wasn't big enough. His reputation for his editorials and non-fiction was plenty big.

The problem is that his skills as a writer of fiction weren't (and aren't) up to par. His novel earned great reviews, but consider this (straight from it's Wiki page):

Even the positive reviews on GoodReads focus more on HOW he tells the story, raving about his lyrical language and less about details like character and plot. It's the hallmark of a "literary" writer, a genre that tends to wow the critics but bores readers to tears. And he simply hasn't improved.
    Damn.. a decade long project, Ontop of the 5 years he had been on BP and he still can't get it write... I sense that fiction is not his calling... But that review is amazingly spot on with the issue of Coates.. and the fact that his stories **** on everyone who's Wakandan, even his pet characters. The only two not **** on have been Storm and Eden.

But Marvel thought this was THE guy? Sorry I'm still going back and forth between being incredibly hyped from KiB, and salty that RJ still wasn't chosen. Marvel needs to see the support for RJ and get this man a BP ongoing.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Remember the movie was done before Black Panther came out. So when the movie took no prisoners, it was in theory too late to add or do anything like that.
    I mean... they gave Okoye a boss fight.

End Game was done before CM was out and she had a boss fight.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Yeah me too. I'm still hoping that RJ absolutely kills it at DC that Marvel reaches out to him to finally do that BP book on the future (hopefully sooner that later) but that's a I can say and hope for. We got a taste of prime rib in the for of KiB after being starved and fed scraps and stale/ old food for the past 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Damn.. a decade long project, Ontop of the 5 years he had been on BP and he still can't get it write... I sense that fiction is not his calling... But that review is amazingly spot on with the issue of Coates.. and the fact that his stories **** on everyone who's Wakandan, even his pet characters. The only two not **** on have been Storm and Eden.

But Marvel thought this was THE guy? Sorry I'm still going back and forth between being incredibly hyped from KiB, and salty that RJ still wasn't chosen. Marvel needs to see the support for RJ and get this man a BP ongoing.
    Marvel tried to go broke for woke when they chose Coates. But comic book readers are creatures of habit. We'll take a deep thinking story anytime but dang, you better have some moments to go along with it.

Then you offend your target audience with treehouse rape camps, victim-blaming and giving away his moments to other people while dissing the people who you really need to support your book.

He did a quadruple frakkery of epic proportions.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.

The over and under...

Depending on who the next writer is should we open the Vegas betting lines on how soon it gets cancelled from low sales!

If Redjack does not know who the next writer is it's possible they might not be black or not on the standard issue radar as a known commodity!

There will probably be an issue #1 sales spike but after that who knows!

Also... Will that next writer engage with the fans like Redjack and Hudlin did way back when!

I'm not wishing "Epic Fail" on anyone BUT...

Get Hectic!

Just a reminder issue #4 of the Taskmaster mini will have him in Wakanda going after Okoye. Should be out next month.