Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
Not surprised at all, in previous works the writer said they didn't start reading BP until Coates' run and that the book basically saved his life. Which is good for him obviously lol but he's clearly operating from a place of extreme bias that won't be uncommon from many reviewers moving forward. Ridley's run won't get the same universal acclaim as Coates partly because many people are gonna think his take on T'Challa is the atypical one.

As I said in a previous post, most of the media folks commenting on BP nowadays did not give a damn about the character prior to the MCU so their only in-depth knowledge of the character comes from Coogler and Coates. Neither of whom delivered traditional portrayals of T'Challa's personality or flaws. The raw ego, paranoia, and aggressiveness of Ridley's T'Challa is a direct repudiation of the deferential and overly cautious prince we tend to see nowadays in Marvel media. Hell, I remember Grace Randolph didn't care for the Avengers game version of T'Challa because he was "too bulky" and "too mean" lol.

There's a segment of the fandom that unfortunately don't like a T'Challa with some bass in his voice or his manipulative tendencies. And as we already see in that article, part of that is gonna come down to them wanting the female side characters to play a bigger role and for T'Challa to rely on them. The reviewer didn't have a single thing to say about how T'Challa talked down to EVERYONE in that issue, including Cap and Strange. But all of a sudden its an issue that he's not treating the Prime Minister of Wakanda like she's a goddess. I imagine that's gonna be a recurring theme of criticism as this run continues and it'll never not be annoying or a bad faith argument. Expect a lot of tears on Twitter if T'Challa embarrasses Storm in issue #200 lol. Despite everyone loving when Storm beat up Shuri, disrespected Ramonda, and berated T'Challa in XOS.
Honestly it just reeks of a clearly biased agenda "How Dare T'Challa, the title character and the face of the franchise act in character! How dare he not postrate himself Infront of the women in the book!" While ignoring the context, just like the comment about annulling the marriage whole ignoring the content that Storm brought in a strike team, attacked him Infront of their people, threw her ring away and didn't do anything when Wakanda was flooded till after the fact.

Honestly, Ridley started off pretty strong, I hope he realizes that Coates method ain't it, how he started T'Challa off is HOW HE SHOULD BE. T'Challa works best when people fully don't trust him or know what exactly he is thinking or planning.

If he punks out on issue 200 with Storm then he doesn't deserve to be on the book. And they should grab someone who knows what is needed for T'Challa. But I have a feeling he knows this and won't punk T'Challa