Page 113 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Priest did not care for Black Panther. He was suppose to do a Falcon series after the Cap America & Falcon book ended. That is why it had that odd ending in issue 12.

Priest gave a MASTER CLASS on how to write a character you don't care for and leave your ego at the door.

Some times those gig as DUMPED on them.

Leah Williams was not pitching a Gwenpool book to Marvel (she was pitching Colossus). It was dumped on her because Marvel was fighting with Disney over Gwenpool. Certain HIGHER UPS wanted her GONE because they did not understand her.

Duke Thomas-I suspect he was dumped on Tom King for Batman run. Duke did one panel cameos and was MIA for 2 years in that book. We saw Batman train and have adventures with all his sidekicks in EVERY ISSUE except ONE-Duke.

You don't see Jason Rusch in DC anymore do you. Gail Simone and Ethan Van Sciever did not care for him. Yet they represent the last time Jason was written with RESPECT.

Priest was set to leave Marvel after being ordered to kill off Ironfist and plans for a new Luke Cage series went south. Conan got dumped on him (with Jim Lee doing the cover to his first issue on that run).
    Priest said he didn't like T'Challa initially because what he knew of the character (initially very little and based around Roy thomas era) he didn't like because he didn't do anything other than be a background character.

He said he came to love the character as he learned more about him and then used Ross as well as his abd general fab ideas of the character to masterfully make him shrouded in mystery. That being said, what I said earlier still holds true. If you don't like a character, shitting all over theor franchise and playing up the character you want isn't the way to go about it. Be professional, follow continuity and set your feelings aside.

That's like purposefully doing a bad job at your place of work in hopes that your manager says "Oh well clearly this work is beneath you, let's move you to this more favorable position because obviously you have shown with your actions that you will out in effort here that your failed to do currently".

Doesn't make sense. Plus with Coates atleast, he openly showed disdain for T'Challa and negativity MONTHS before he book even started so why take the job? Of you haven't even started yet you have so much negativity to say about the character why not pass up the offer?

Why willingly **** on something you clearly don't like and tell fans your doing it anyways?? He left the franchise worse then when he started and has continued to do so. Especially when there were others more qualified *RJ* (though held less clout) who would of done a better job and sustained a healthy franchise and possibly been able to get those spin offs launched to further build up his world? To me it comes off as arrogant and narcissistic behavior to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I guess we'll be living off this and comics for the next 6 years since no T'Challa for BP2.
    They shoulda let T'challa kill him. You know this was a late additions because it connects to nothing. He gets knocked flat in an instance and then... t'challa and the warriors just let him get up later instad of finish the job lol? LIke wut?

Letting bruce in a hulkbuster do it wasn't interesting at all lol. Outside of Thanos putting those hands on Hulk, Bruce was my least favorite part of IW/EG for the main characters anyway.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I really liked the last KiB BP issue. It was well written and it had amazing art. I am glad to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They shoulda let T'challa kill him. You know this was a late additions because it connects to nothing. He gets knocked flat in an instance and then... t'challa and the warriors just let him get up later instad of finish the job lol? LIke wut?

Letting bruce in a hulkbuster do it wasn't interesting at all lol. Outside of Thanos putting those hands on Hulk, Bruce was my least favorite part of IW/EG for the main characters anyway.
    You're right they should have. That punch should have been a killer shot.

Just looking back over KiB, I appreciate the fact that Redjack used a lot of tech and showed T'Challa's super intellect in his battles against the symbiotes. You saw it throughout the entire story.

How many times have we heard about Wakandan tech but only ever get glimpses or small tidbits here and there. Just an observation that makes me enjoy the story even more.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 02-12-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    I really liked the last KiB BP issue. It was well written and it had amazing art. I am glad to see it happen.
    Yeah, the art by Peralta was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You're right they should have. That punch should have been a killer shot.

Just looking back over KiB, I appreciate the fact that Redjack used a lot of tech and showed T'Challa's super intellect in his battles against the symbiotes. You saw it throughout the entire story.

How many times have we heard about Wakandan tech but only ever get glimpses or small tidbits here and there. Just an observation that makes me enjoy the story even more.
    Covid killed the gundam chance for Empyre. Lol

Too late now, but this one shot is the reason we needed a tie-in book to do the WK battle in Secret Empire. I think the only reason we got an overall victory in Empyres main book is because Al Ewing was part of it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post

Doesn't make sense. Plus with Coates atleast, he openly showed disdain for T'Challa and negativity MONTHS before he book even started so why take the job? Of you haven't even started yet you have so much negativity to say about the character why not pass up the offer?

Why willingly **** on something you clearly don't like and tell fans your doing it anyways?? He left the franchise worse then when he started and has continued to do so. Especially when there were others more qualified *RJ* (though held less clout) who would of done a better job and sustained a healthy franchise and possibly been able to get those spin offs launched to further build up his world? To me it comes off as arrogant and narcissistic behavior to do that
    The thing is it still comes down to being a NAME-that can get your book attention in places where comics are ignored.

Both came with a built in audience but the one Marvel wanted was probably the one Coates had. Pretty much the same with all those writers (aside from Vita)-they all had fanbases not linked to comics.

Marvel might have thought he would grow into liking Panther and we know how that went....

And remember other than Miles-who was Coates competing with for black hero readership? Nobody thought Spawn was going to get a resurgence like he is having now.
    Nobody expect Bitter Root, Seven Secrets, Blood Parish, Abbott, Excellence, Far Sector and Killadelphia to be that good.
    John Ridley was the warm up with Next Batman and Other Side of Dc Universe. Redjack was the main course with Green Lantern and Panther.
    And we STILL got Nubia, Shilo Norman, Green Lantern main book, Jace Fox, Abbott, a book about a black Mob doctor, Shadow Man and Milestone coming.

Excluding Ridley-Coates has a bigger name than them. Yet Black Panther is a mess.

Coates to his credit bought in sales. He just couldn't keep it up mainly due to STORY. There is a reason Miles Morales keeps getting multiple printings.

The problem with Coates isn't that his name wasn't big enough. His reputation for his editorials and non-fiction was plenty big.

The problem is that his skills as a writer of fiction weren't (and aren't) up to par. His novel earned great reviews, but consider this (straight from it's Wiki page):

Constance Grady of Vox praised the "clarity of Coates's ideas and the poetry of his language" but largely panned the novel as a "mess" with monotonous characters and lacking a strong plot development to make up for it. She criticized the movement between the plot-driven and allegorical storytelling modes as "whiplash-inducing"
    Even the positive reviews on GoodReads focus more on HOW he tells the story, raving about his lyrical language and less about details like character and plot. It's the hallmark of a "literary" writer, a genre that tends to wow the critics but bores readers to tears. And he simply hasn't improved.

It is either amped or it is absorbing the energy to release in the next panel

RJ, which is it lol?

It's not clear in the art (illustrators have to be free to flex) but the first thing to hit the ground is the jetpack. When you see T'Challa hit the symbiote he's just fallen about a thousand feet. That impact gives him considerable kinetic juice to power up. That's what you see when he's smacking symbiotes around and where he got the energy for the pulse.

The OTHER reason he had his people sheath up is the vibranium alloy coverings PROTECT THEM from the pulse. They're just standing there while the pulse rips through everything else.

Not an accident. Nothing is an accident.
    Last edited by Redjack; 02-12-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The problem with Coates isn't that his name wasn't big enough. His reputation for his editorials and non-fiction was plenty big.

The problem is that his skills as a writer of fiction weren't (and aren't) up to par. His novel earned great reviews, but consider this (straight from it's Wiki page):

Even the positive reviews on GoodReads focus more on HOW he tells the story, raving about his lyrical language and less about details like character and plot. It's the hallmark of a "literary" writer, a genre that tends to wow the critics but bores readers to tears. And he simply hasn't improved.
    This review is about "The Water Dancer"

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    This review is about "The Water Dancer"
    Yes, which is why I said "his novel". By his own words, he worked on it for over a decade, and it's still a mess.

I was watching failed MMO video on YT and there was an Avengers game where Tchalla could cloak and shoot energy daggers. I saw the clip but cant remember what called. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Yes, which is why I said "his novel". By his own words, he worked on it for over a decade, and it's still a mess.
    My fault, I meant to put a question mark at the end. Lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The thing is it still comes down to being a NAME-that can get your book attention in places where comics are ignored.

Both came with a built in audience but the one Marvel wanted was probably the one Coates had. Pretty much the same with all those writers (aside from Vita)-they all had fanbases not linked to comics.

Marvel might have thought he would grow into liking Panther and we know how that went....

And remember other than Miles-who was Coates competing with for black hero readership? Nobody thought Spawn was going to get a resurgence like he is having now.
    Nobody expect Bitter Root, Seven Secrets, Blood Parish, Abbott, Excellence, Far Sector and Killadelphia to be that good.
    John Ridley was the warm up with Next Batman and Other Side of Dc Universe. Redjack was the main course with Green Lantern and Panther.
    And we STILL got Nubia, Shilo Norman, Green Lantern main book, Jace Fox, Abbott, a book about a black Mob doctor, Shadow Man and Milestone coming.

Excluding Ridley-Coates has a bigger name than them. Yet Black Panther is a mess.

Coates to his credit bought in sales. He just couldn't keep it up mainly due to STORY. There is a reason Miles Morales keeps getting multiple printings.
    As I said in another post, Coates brought in sales temporarily but looking back at his run unless Marvel is run by fools they can’t possibly think his direction is worth doubling down on. It was a commercial flop. But because Marvel isn’t really looking for competent black comic creators and is more interested in Negro whisperers like Coates I’m sure we’ll be getting more of the subpar writing he and his friends are putting out. You’ll notice that neophytes to comic writing like John Ridley and NK Jemisin weren’t given tentpole franchises when DC put them on.

They got books with new characters from established franchises or wrote an out of continuity story. Marvel let a dude who had never published a single work of fiction headline their biggest black hero at the height of his push with virtually zero checks on anything he did (until the relaunch, which I’m sure came with a demand for more action). And once the built in audience bailed (because MCU fans rarely become long-term readers), all you had was a base of BP fans, which current sales indicate were not feeling his direction (though obviously I’m sure there are a couple long time fans who like/are ambivalent to Coates). The Coates experiment was a failure on pretty much every level in terms of the overall health and presentation of T’Challa and his world. Marvel should’ve given him a Dora or Storm mini series that tied tangentially to the main BP book, which should’ve gone to an experience writer. That’s clearly who he wanted to write anyway and his dearth of ideas and eye for literary bullcrap might’ve been able to shine in that capacity.

Exactly. This should have been treated as an entire fight. MCU wakanda struck again. Would have loved to hear Chadwick give that entire speech on the run up throw down with Black Dwarf.