Page 559 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561562563569609659 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Coates is the way to go away.

Now going from Priest to Coates is like jumping from Burton to Nolan (not saying quality...) in terms of approach/style.

Especially if you're into deconstructing a hero and seeing how his flaws impact him and everyone around him.

Although based on comment here it would probably be viewed like jumping to Snyder. Divisive. However, if you buy into it really works.
    Fixed and corrected.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Now this isn't talking abotu the quality of Coates...

But jumping into it without any knowledge of past events can leave a reader very confused.
    I tend to agree. That being said, if the goal is to read the stuff that explains where Coates's run starts, you have to read Avengers vs. X-Men and that's not necessarily ideal. But I would also add this: If the goal is to suggest a Wakanda that's been run down, it's not the best intro for what normally to expect. I have a problem with his writing from time to time, but Who Is the Black Panther still feels like the best modern introduction to the character.

BTW, next on my reading list is Black Panther: The Sound and the Fury by Ralph Macchio. I didn't realize the Karate Kid was such a comics fan (just kidding, I know it's former Marvel editor Ralph Macchio). I'm a fan of Macchio as an editor, but this is the first thing I can recall reading that he's written. His Panther is a bit too wordy for my tastes. Not quite Spider-Man level, but certainly closer in that direction.

I'm also convinced that Marvel was pushing to feature Klaw around this time. He was in the main book and this simultaneously. I think more could have been done to line the books up, though. It's definitely awkward reconciling the two. Thankfully, Sound and the Fury is fairly independent of continuity.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I tend to agree. That being said, if the goal is to read the stuff that explains where Coates's run starts, you have to read Avengers vs. X-Men and that's not necessarily ideal. But I would also add this: If the goal is to suggest a Wakanda that's been run down, it's not the best intro for what normally to expect. I have a problem with his writing from time to time, but Who Is the Black Panther still feels like the best modern introduction to the character.

BTW, next on my reading list is Black Panther: The Sound and the Fury by Ralph Macchio. I didn't realize the Karate Kid was such a comics fan (just kidding, I know it's former Marvel editor Ralph Macchio). I'm a fan of Macchio as an editor, but this is the first thing I can recall reading that he's written. His Panther is a bit too wordy for my tastes. Not quite Spider-Man level, but certainly closer in that direction.

I'm also convinced that Marvel was pushing to feature Klaw around this time. He was in the main book and this simultaneously. I think more could have been done to line the books up, though. It's definitely awkward reconciling the two. Thankfully, Sound and the Fury is fairly independent of continuity.
    Besides AvX, there was also Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers, that went into the blood feud between Wakanda and Atlantis kicked off by Namor's attack on Wakanda in AvX, as well as T'Challa's personal enmity with Namor resulting from said attack even as they were forced to work together in the reassembled Illuminati. It still gets me that as the world was coming to an end, Wakanda was basically offered up as a sacrifice to appease Thanos and his Cabal so they'd buy time for Earth-616 by annihilating the other Earths colliding with it. Really messed up and disturbing in its implications, at least for me. Even if all that was essentially undone at the end of Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars . . . I wouldn't be surprised if it would still affect on some level how T'Challa and Wakanda interacted with the rest of the world going forward.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

If memory serves me correctly, both came out around Marvel's "Legacy" revamp/push/sales pitch

hence pushing klaw
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    People who say Wakanda was always the main focus fall into one of three camps:

1. They’re speaking out of grief.
    2. They’re woefully misinformed about the Black Panther mythos.
    3. They never really cared about T’Challa as a character to begin with.
    I would say they more so fall into category 2 or 3

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I would say they more so fall into category 2 or 3
    Just out of curiosity. If we got a full T'Challa trilogy would it be easier to accept?

I think if we did I would have went from 50/50 to being ok with it. Obviously disappointed, but at least I know I got the full T'Challa trilogy and another Avengers film with him as one of the leads.

Just out of curiosity. If we got a full T'Challa trilogy would it be easier to accept?

I think if we did I would have went from 50/50 to being ok with it. Obviously disappointed, but at least I know I got the full T'Challa trilogy and another Avengers film with him as one of the leads.
    That's what most of us were expecting. If we get the trilogy plus being in the next batch of Avengers movies, then yes, I think many would be satisfied.

If I got three real black panther movies and then 2-3 real avenger movies (aka more than 3 minutes), then honestly... kill him off all you want lol.

I don't think you would HAVE to kill him off... with that long of a time span, T'challa in universe would be pushing it age wise to continue being Black Panther. He could be King with another Black Panther (shuri? an heir?) which allows T'chalal to still be alive but someone else take over the "hero" aspect.

But yeah... just wnat my favorite character treated with the same respect as Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, GoG, FUCKING ANT MAN!, and such.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Full trilogy before what? Chad passed away? Atleast by that point his story was told to completion or near completion (depending on what was going on in the Avengers) but his solo series would of been completed so it would be less... Stupid of Disney? I don't care what it is, T'Challas story should be told to completion period end of story give me a Recast, a full trilogy of T'Challa the black panther, have his story arc finish through out the Avengers and then let him retire or ride off into the sunset.. then someone else can pick up the mantle.
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 07-02-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Ewing needs to bring back the Ultimates(minus America Chavez & Carol Danvers is ) so that we can have the inevitable clash between them and SWORD.
    Had to fix that for ya my brother

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    King in Black: Black Panther is a good read.

And if you have Disney + go to avengers assemble and look up season 5. The season is called Black Panther Quest and it’s incredible.
    Good or bad... the BP runs are all very different.

So, see how you like Priest and go from there. If you don't like it, luckily or unluckily, Hudlin's run is very different lol. The Coates is even more different. Or youc an go old schol with Jungle Action.

But, personally, outside of Priest... See Wakanda and Die is my favorite story ever. Recently, Black Panther: King in Black is a great war story one shot.

Hudlin's "Who is the Black Panther" is generally very well received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Black Panther Priest Collections (Sturm Und Drang is my favorite story arc)
    Who is the Black Panther/Hudlin's Run(Including See Wakanda & Die)
    Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive
    Rise of the Black Panther
    King in Black: Black Panther

Just to name a few.

You can also buy the encyclopedic book titled 'Marvel Black Panther The Ultimate Guide' to have an in-depth knowledge about the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Also check out David Liss' Black Panther run.

It was like a "Born Again" story for BP. Same villain too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    Do NOT waste your time bothering with Coates' run.
    Coates is the way to go.

Now going from Priest to Coates is like jumping from Burton to Nolan (not saying quality...) in terms of approach/style.

Especially if you're into deconstructing a hero and seeing how his flaws impact him and everyone around him.

Although based on comment here it would probably be viewed like jumping to Snyder. Divisive. However, if you buy into it really works.
    Thanks for the recs guys! I guess I'm just gonna get Hudlin's complete collection and see how his run is.

Was Hudlin's run terribly written in the sense that it was unreadable or that he did drastic changes that didn't sit well. His run seems very divisive.

As for Coates in gonna check his out eventually. I've seen back and forth judgements with his run but the art is beautiful and so are the covers.

How was David Liss?
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 07-02-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Thanks for the recs guys! I guess I'm just gonna get Hudlin's complete collection and see how his run is.

Was Hudlin's run terribly written in the sense that it was unreadable or that he did drastic changes that didn't sit well. His run seems very divisive.

As for Coates in gonna check his out eventually. I've seen back and forth judgements with his run but the art is beautiful and so are the covers.

How was David Liss?
    Hudlin just wrote a very different T'challa and has a very different style to Priest. Priest is rather unique how he writes.

Hudlin also retconned a lot of Wakanda and T'challa history, kinda on accident. Hudlin also married T'challa to Storm, which was very controversial.

Hudlin also didn't continue where Priest left off on his book, which, to be fair, Priest left it in a kinda shitty place because the book got cancelled.

It definitely is not unreadable. It is just different. It is rather simple comic book, some compared to a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" style, while Priest's writing can get rather complicated to decipher fully at times.

I personally read Hudlin in smaller doses. I'll read an arc and then might not read another Hudlin story in a long time. It feels like a fun palate cleanse. When I read it in large chunks, some of the flaws become more apparent and it gets kinda boring for me. Just my personal opinion.

David Liss run is very enjoyable IF IF IF IF IF you can get past the fact they threw T'challa in Hell's Kitchen with no powers. The premise was.... odd? and not well liked at the time. Unfortunate, because the big is really fun and the last arc, Kingpin of Wakanda, ups the stakes big time and was easily Liss's best story.

Also, Liss is a cool dude lol. He used to stop by, treated the character with nothign but respect, he just got handed a weird premise.

Yes, it would. It would have even been more acceptable if he got a fourth.

Thor is having a fourth movie so so the same could have been applied to T'Challa as well.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

If memory serves me correctly, both came out around Marvel's "Legacy" revamp/push/sales pitch

hence pushing klaw
    That was my assumption. I still wonder if Klaw's addition to Avengers of the New World was a last minute re-write.

BTW, the next two books up are Rise of the Black Panther and Killmonger. I'm thinking of reading these in reverse publication order to try to get closer to chronological order. I want to see how well the two do together continuity-wise.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Well one month to go until the avengers expansion. Though given the recent controversy surrounding the game, T’Challa definitely deserves a lot better.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"