Page 110 of 463 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 6931
  1. #1636
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fall-From-Grace View Post
    Hmm.. this topic is interesting to me. Storm is the most important black female superhero, and in much of the art marvel has put out of her, she could pass for a white woman with a tan . The straight hair and blue eyes help a lot to create that perception imo . So yes, while her hair and eyes are too iconic now to change them, and I have no idea of knowing what exactly the intention was when she was created, I sometimes wish artists gave her some different hairstyles. She could absolutely rock some braids . Give her some african-inspired touches to her outfits, these sorts of things. Representation is important and I think a lot of the times Marvel could do a better job with Storm's imagery to achieve that.
    This point is spot on! I think even though Storm is a black character her depiction at times from a canonical perspective was conveyed to indicate otherwise. Anyone who would suggest that people are idiotic for being aware of the instances in canon that actually support such claims are the ones who appear as such.

    This following scan caused many within the fandom to make the argument she was not black:

    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-26-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  2. #1637
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    Please don't be insulting, I'm not accusing the character or writers I've seen pen her of white veneration, at least not intentionally, but I also know it took years to see Storm drawn in a way that was more reflective of her heritage and black X characters are so scarce her visual presentation holds that much more weight. Moreover, black women had zero say in her initial character design so forgive me for not embracing every single detail. I would never suggest changing them in comics, but I wouldn't be mad if they didn't show up in the MCU.

    I'm a black woman who respectfully asked a question so you can miss me with that entire second paragraph. rude
    your point is absolutely valid and that user had no reason to be as condescending as they were in that post. people can be disagreeable without belittling or insulting someone.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-26-2021 at 02:48 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  3. #1638
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    Please don't be insulting, I'm not accusing the character or writers I've seen pen her of white veneration, at least not intentionally, but I also know it took years to see Storm drawn in a way that was more reflective of her heritage and black X characters are so scarce her visual presentation holds that much more weight. Moreover, black women had zero say in her initial character design so forgive me for not embracing every single detail. I would never suggest changing them in comics, but I wouldn't be mad if they didn't show up in the MCU.

    I'm a black woman who respectfully asked a question so you can miss me with that entire second paragraph. rude
    Let the choir say amen.

  4. #1639
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    This point is spot on! I think even though Storm is a black character her depiction at times from a canonical perspective was conveyed to indicate otherwise. Anyone who would suggest that people are idiotic for being aware of the instances in canon that actually support such claims are the ones who appear as such.

    This following scan caused many within the fandom to make the argument she was not black:

    We had a long discussion about this in the previous Storm thread. The more Black people, particularly Black women get interested in Storm, they want to see her reflect the culture, especially when it comes to hairstyles.

  5. #1640
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    We had a long discussion about this in the previous Storm thread. The more Black people, particularly Black women get interested in Storm, they want to see her reflect the culture, especially when it comes to hairstyles.
    yea I recalled that exchange and I dont really see any issue with it honestly.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  6. #1641
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    Please don't be insulting, I'm not accusing the character or writers I've seen pen her of white veneration, at least not intentionally, but I also know it took years to see Storm drawn in a way that was more reflective of her heritage and black X characters are so scarce her visual presentation holds that much more weight. Moreover, black women had zero say in her initial character design so forgive me for not embracing every single detail. I would never suggest changing them in comics, but I wouldn't be mad if they didn't show up in the MCU.

    I'm a black woman who respectfully asked a question so you can miss me with that entire second paragraph. rude
    Bloody hell! It's getting so a person cannot have a sensible, rational discussion and opinion without someone unnecessarily taking offense, where none was given and none was intended.

    I wasn't addressing that second paragraph (the entire post actually) to you specifically at all. I don't know you so...No need to take it so direct and personal. But since you did....I have nothing more to say to you on the matter. Be at peace.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-26-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  7. #1642
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fall-From-Grace View Post
    Hmm.. this topic is interesting to me. Storm is the most important black female superhero, and in much of the art marvel has put out of her, she could pass for a white woman with a tan . The straight hair and blue eyes help a lot to create that perception imo . So yes, while her hair and eyes are too iconic now to change them, and I have no idea of knowing what exactly the intention was when she was created, I sometimes wish artists gave her some different hairstyles. She could absolutely rock some braids . Give her some african-inspired touches to her outfits, these sorts of things. Representation is important and I think a lot of the times Marvel could do a better job with Storm's imagery to achieve that.
    To answer your question: Artists and writers have, for the most part, always focused and highlighted on her African-ness with respect to her life's journey, her history, her heart, her connection, her dress. And there have been many instances where she's worn her hair in different , "Black" styles.

    In story, Her blue eyes and her platinum white hair are indicative of the power handed down through time to the daughters the line who possess great and significant power. Ashake, her grand-mother many times removed and a gifted sorceress, had blue eyes and white hair as well. N'Dare, her mother, didn't. It's just that simple. Plus it looks really cool and gives her a very distinctive look apart from the other Black MU women.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  8. #1643
    Incredible Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    Storm and Monica are easily my two favorite comic book characters, but I have to say, I've never been a fan of the blue eyes. I was annoyed seeing them on Monica for the same reasons I didn't like them on Storm, it felt like another example of black women distinguished or venerated for a typically white feature. I get the context is different between the two characters and they're exhibited differently, but it still feels like an incredibly loaded color choice.
    ???

    There are literally people on the African continent who are born with blue eyes. I never understand when people have a problem with her hair or eyes. Not all of us black folk are the same anyways. I really dont like the 'storm isnt black enough' view people throw around. Her blue eyes and white are also could have been done to display her otherworldly feel her creators were clearly trying to stick to her upon debut.

  9. #1644
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    We had a long discussion about this in the previous Storm thread. The more Black people, particularly Black women get interested in Storm, they want to see her reflect the culture, especially when it comes to hairstyles.
    You mean reflective in the same way we as Black people idolise Beyonce, Mary J. and other actual noted Black women who wear blond weaves, coloured contacts etc.?

    The main difference being..Storm was "born" with those attributes. Beyonce wasn't.

    And before you get all hottup under the collar, I'm seriously asking...no shade or rudeness.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  10. #1645
    Incredible Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Purrrriod..

  11. #1646
    Master of None Baby_Hater666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    You mean reflective in the same way we as Black people idolise Beyonce, Mary J. and other actual noted Black women who wear blond weaves, coloured contacts etc.?

    The main difference being..Storm was "born" with those attributes. Beyonce wasn't.

    And before you get all hottup under the collar, I'm seriously asking...no shade or rudeness.
    You're really gonna post this snide comment deriding real life black women for not being born with the same features as a fictional comic book character originally created by white men lol. Thank you for highlighting the problem better than I ever could have.

  12. #1647
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    You mean reflective in the same way we as Black people idolise Beyonce, Mary J. and other actual noted Black women who wear blond weaves, coloured contacts etc.?

    The main difference being..Storm was "born" with those attributes. Beyonce wasn't.

    And before you get all hottup under the collar, I'm seriously asking...no shade or rudeness.
    I'm not offended at all. And you do know that there are more Black women who are inspirational than just Beyonce and Mary J right?

    Michelle Obama
    Naomi Osaki
    Serena Williams
    Karine Jean Pierre
    Simone Sanders
    Regina King
    Laila Ali
    Ava Duvurney
    Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    Stacey Abrams
    Keisha Lance Bottoms
    Maxine Waters
    Joy-Ann Reid
    Val Demmings
    Macy Grey
    Lupita Nyongo
    Angela Basset
    Toni Morrison
    Tiffany Cross
    Mae Carol Jemison
    Oprah Winfrey
    Naomi Campbell
    Grace Jones
    Cicely Tyson
    Diana Ross

    Just to name a few. Black Female beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, flavors hair color, and hairstyles. Black women have been revolutionizing hairstyles and are innovators. They go from blonde to black to blue to brown to beige. Storm has been daring as well at times with her style in the past. She should embrace that more and be on the cutting edge of style and fashion like her sisters. She doesn't always have to have a perm or mohawk

    There was no malice in my prior post, only admiration for Black female beauty and expressionism and hoping to see more of that culture represented by not only Storm but other Black female characters.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 02-26-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spelling, punctuation

  13. #1648
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Oh, and a shout out to Rep. Cori Bush!

  14. #1649
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm not offended at all. And you do know that there are more Black women who are inspirational than just Beyonce and Mary J right?

    Michelle Obama
    Naomi Osaki
    Serena Williams
    Karine Jean Pierre
    Simone Sanders
    Regina King
    Laila Ali
    Ava Duvurney
    Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    Stacey Abrams
    Keisha Lance Bottoms
    Maxine Waters
    Joy-Ann Reid
    Val Demmings
    Macy Grey
    Lupita Nyongo
    Angela Basset
    Toni Morrison
    Tiffany Cross
    Mae Carol Jemison
    Oprah Winfrey
    Naomi Campbell
    Grace Jones
    Cicely Tyson
    Diana Ross

    Just to name a few. Black Female beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, flavors hair color, and hairstyles. Black women have been revolutionizing hairstyles and are innovators. They go from blonde to black to blue to brown to beige. Storm has been daring as well at times with her style in the past. She should embrace that more and be on the cutting edge of style and fashion like her sisters. She doesn't always have to have a perm or mohawk

    There was no malice in my prior post, only admiration for Black female beauty and expressionism and hoping to see more of that culture represented by not only Storm but other Black female characters.
    beautifully said!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  15. #1650
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Well My point, exactatiously! Marvell.
    There are so many real women who are perfectly representational of being the beauty-full lack women we know and love and idolise and emulate...most and above all our mothers...who regardless of how they wear their hair are no less exquisite and exceptional or trying to emulate a white aesthetic.
    Yet Storm...a fictional, comic-book character, whose characterisation is anything if not solidly rooted in her history and culture, is the hill some are willing to die on?
    Come on.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-26-2021 at 06:27 PM.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •