Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I hear you regarding Avengers.

I will not defend/justify his issues regarding LGBTQIA back in the day. I am not sure if his mind-set has changed since then.

I'd argue that he was progressive in wanting to include more black fictional characters, particularly at DC (making his stance on LGBTQIA characters ironic).

IMO, Marvel produced the best bronze age comics under Shooter's watch.

I see a more open-minded push for LGBTQIA characters in more boundary pushing roles than heterosexual/asexual black men at Marvel, currently.
    You said Bronze age comics, comics now are very different. There is no reason to hire him again, maybe for a nostalgia line of books. He being ok with LGBT now still won't make up for diversity.

I would go hire some black talent and diverse talent, it's so hard find black people editing comics.

Black man being straight is really threatening. Just see the crying from some people because netflix launched 2 movies pairing white women with Black men.

https://www.cbr.com/king-in-black-bi...x-men-mission/

Are we going down the "Bishop is a threat to the X-Men" road again?

Divided loyalties? Secret missions? We just got dude back in the good graces of mutants. He's gonna jeopardize that for Beast?

I actually thought it was pretty cool, and would love to see Bishop used in X-Force. Hell, he can stay in Marauders too since he's barely used there anyway. Also, I think this part of the article explains why Bishop's secret mission as given to him by Beast wasn't even close to the worst plan Hank's ever had...

This could keep the two powerful and famous mutants from causing any more damage around the world. On the one hand, this isn't the worst plan in the world. Krakoa already has a tenuous relationship with the rest of the world, and Storm or Cyclops committing terrible acts -- even while under Knull's control -- could cause more drama for the island going forward. Storm's powers in particular make her a potentially global threat if she isn't contained. The fact that the Five exist in Krakoa and are able to revive any fallen mutant gives Bishop extra reason to take such a step, as either of them could be restored following their potential demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I actually thought it was pretty cool, and would love to see Bishop used in X-Force. Hell, he can stay in Marauders too since he's barely used there anyway. Also, I think this part of the article explains why Bishop's secret mission as given to him by Beast wasn't even close to the worst plan Hank's ever had...
    Why keep the mission a secret? Why not present that logic to the Council or the rest of the X-Men? I don't like Bishop being used as a pawn in other people's games. His status as a Captain should supercede anyone else's orders or mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Why keep the mission a secret? Why not present that logic to the Council or the rest of the X-Men? I don't like Bishop being used as a pawn in other people's games. His status as a Captain should supercede anyone else's orders or mission.
    I really don't get that. Bishop is the next in line to make decisions, not Beast

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    You said Bronze age comics, comics now are very different. There is no reason to hire him again, maybe for a nostalgia line of books. He being ok with LGBT now still won't make up for diversity.

I would go hire some black talent and diverse talent, it's so hard find black people editing comics.

Black man being straight is really threatening. Just see the crying from some people because netflix launched 2 movies pairing white women with Black men.
    Modern comics suck now, and have done so for a good 20 years, or so. I appreciate the attempts at modern diversity, but the lack of emphasis on character development & consistency is glaring. I'm not sure why both can't exist simultaneously. The lack of editorial oversight is very telling.

Editors are supposed to ask if the direction the writer wants to go is good for the book, or a particular character long term. I bring up Jim, because it was him that declared punishment on Phoenix after her cosmic kill spree. Claremont was gonna give her a happy ending. Part of that shows that consequences have to take place, but also to give writers pause before they get too crazy with a story. Editors may catch hate, but it is their job to protect characters.

So much fail has happened at Marvel over the last 20 years due to editors sleeping at the wheel, allowing shock value to compensate for true character arcs.

An editor should have stepped in before the decision was made to have Bishop go heel, or at least to have a well-thought out plan to make him an effective one. An editor should be asking why Bishop is serving Kate tea. An editor should be asking why Bishop was not more of an active participant during XOS. Bishop looks like a total token, right now.

Characters switch motivations and allegiances faster than pro-wrestlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I really don't get that. Bishop is the next in line to make decisions, not Beast
    The reality is pretty much how you called it, dealing with assertive straight black males is scary for most writers. Which is exactly why we're seeing a great Captain being a subordinate to kitty AND Beast. Once again....so far Bishop has been set up to be a paper tiger, and it's crazy to expect that the people writing X-Men are exempt from the same bias and prejudice in our culture right now. I'm sure Duggan sees nothing wrong with his simpish portrayals of Bishop.

Like I said, he's a do-boy. Can't make any decisions on his own without permission. Has to get orders all the time.

He's led his own team, has the power and skills to be a major player but he's gotta be kept in check.

I don't care how much people rag on Jason Aaron over in Avengers. At least he's got T'Challa doing big things. And Miles is handling things in his own solo.

Bishop needs to get out of the suppressive shadow of the X-Men.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 02-04-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Didn't read the issue and not going to but based off what I have read Bishop is basically being setup to be Beast's "fall guy". Can't believe Bishop was brought back to step n fetch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Didn't read the issue and not going to but based off what I have read Bishop is basically being setup to be Beast's "fall guy". Can't believe Bishop was brought back to step n fetch like this.
    I guess no one else was available who fit the "type".

Astonishing Member

I would like to see Bishop on the Hellions but he might be redundant with Greycrow on the team, though Bishop is a much better character. He would be better served on the best X-book out there right now than where he is now.

Bishop just needs to be in a book where everyone in creative gets the character and is invested in developing that character. Where he's at now just isn't it. The Great Captain is nothing more than an errand boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Modern comics suck now, and have done so for a good 20 years, or so. I appreciate the attempts at modern diversity, but the lack of emphasis on character development & consistency is glaring. I'm not sure why both can't exist simultaneously. The lack of editorial oversight is very telling.

Editors are supposed to ask if the direction the writer wants to go is good for the book, or a particular character long term. I bring up Jim, because it was him that declared punishment on Phoenix after her cosmic kill spree. Claremont was gonna give her a happy ending. Part of that shows that consequences have to take place, but also to give writers pause before they get too crazy with a story. Editors may catch hate, but it is their job to protect characters.

So much fail has happened at Marvel over the last 20 years due to editors sleeping at the wheel, allowing shock value to compensate for true character arcs.

An editor should have stepped in before the decision was made to have Bishop go heel, or at least to have a well-thought out plan to make him an effective one. An editor should be asking why Bishop is serving Kate tea. An editor should be asking why Bishop was not more of an active participant during XOS. Bishop looks like a total token, right now.

Characters switch motivations and allegiances faster than pro-wrestlers.
    THIS GUY gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Like I said, he's a do-boy. Can't make any decisions on his own without permission. Has to get orders all the time.

He's led his own team, has the power and skills to be a major player but he's gotta be kept in check.

I don't care how much people rag on Jason Aaron over in Avengers. At least he's got T'Challa doing big things. And Miles is handling things in his own solo.

Bishop needs to get out of the suppressive shadow of the X-Men.
    Can't agree more bro, and glad that you brought Aaron up. His Avengers as an Avengers book is terrible but the man has done right by BP and Blade and I enjoy it every month. I honestly hope Bishop pulls a Sunspot and take his talents to the Avengers office where he might get a shot at being respected.

Incredible Member

The biggest issue I had with Bishop's heel turn is that they had him murder an entire timeline. That literally puts his kill count at 7 billion. The only X-Men characters who have a higher kill count are Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse. They honestly shouldn't have done that and should have had that timeline slowly turn to shit on its own, as a consequence of Hope's absence in the first hundred years. It could've had a lot of character progression for Bishop too. And while I love Messiah War, let's face it, they made him a dumbass in it by having him ally with Stryfe. Bishop before that would've known that was the absolute stupidest thing he could do.