Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks bro. Yeah, the negative aspects are there. Depends on just what you choose to focus on, retain, and change.

Some other random Cap thoughts:

- Watched Winter Soldier with my mom for the first time yesterday. Watching Captain America on July 4th is quite an appropriate way to celebrate! It had been years since I had seen the movie in it's entirety. I kinda forget that there are other scenes besides the elevator fight . Seeing my mom enjoy the film was great too. She enjoyed all of the twists and turns. Definitely was surprised at how the Winter Soldier was Bucky (we had watched First Avenger the night before). Mom enjoyed the insight and ideas I brought to the film.

- Yeah, Coates' run is coming to an end. I need to read it in it's entirety to really digest it. Just wonder who the next writer will be.
    You're welcome, and yeah, The Winter Soldier definitely still holds up today. Aside from the elevator fight scene, epic as that was, what stuck out to me was Steve's determination to live by his principles and ideals even when everyone around him in S.H.I.E.L.D. was asking him to compromise for the sake of "the greater good," and then "the greater good" turned out to be HYDRA's agenda all along --- the willful exchange or surrender of liberty for security, security maintained and enforced by HYDRA murdering anyone who stood in its way. Oh, and his "the price of freedom" speech near the end, when he was rallying the still-loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to fight back against the HYDRA agents that had taken over, that really resonated with me.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The delays?
    Yeah, It's almost like he isn't into writing comics anymore like it was a passing fad.

No other titles I know of are having/had these kind of delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, It's almost like he isn't into writing comics anymore like it was a passing fad.

No other titles I know of are having/had these kind of delays.
    Which is a shame. For what it's worth, his last Captain America issue comes out today.

Which is a shame. For what it's worth, his last Captain America issue comes out today.
    Any word who's coming on after Coates

Yeah, didn't realize it was this was Coates' last issue until I read it. Thought it was a good end. I liked how the confrontation between Captain America and Red Skull wasn't a fist fight. Rather it was an intellectual and ideological one. Steve goaded Red Skull into admitting his true thoughts on his followers. And recorded it. Clever. It reminded me of the plot to an old radio serial featuring Superman vs. the KKK. The leader of the KKK didn't really believe his beliefs, just knew that people were gullible to follow them. Perhaps the mark of all demagogues, right?

Some interesting talking points towards the end of the issue. We like people who "tell it like it is" even if they're leading us to oblivion. A very powerful moment. Aside from that, I wonder if Captain America's future writer (whoever that is) will pick them up?

As for Coates, his final message in the issue seemed genuine enough. He was cordial and thankful to a lot of people who helped him with his comic book career. Ended on a high note.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Yeah, didn't realize it was this was Coates' last issue until I read it. Thought it was a good end. I liked how the confrontation between Captain America and Red Skull wasn't a fist fight. Rather it was an intellectual and ideological one. Steve goaded Red Skull into admitting his true thoughts on his followers. And recorded it. Clever. It reminded me of the plot to an old radio serial featuring Superman vs. the KKK. The leader of the KKK didn't really believe his beliefs, just knew that people were gullible to follow them. Perhaps the mark of all demagogues, right?

Some interesting talking points towards the end of the issue. We like people who "tell it like it is" even if they're leading us to oblivion. A very powerful moment. Aside from that, I wonder if Captain America's future writer (whoever that is) will pick them up?

As for Coates, his final message in the issue seemed genuine enough. He was cordial and thankful to a lot of people who helped him with his comic book career. Ended on a high note.
    What are the chances that this arc will be made into animated form, either a mini series or a two-part cartoon movie? I wish Dwayne McDuffie were here to adapt it for animation.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What are the chances that this arc will be made into animated form, either a mini series or a two-part cartoon movie? I wish Dwayne McDuffie were here to adapt it for animation.
    Same.

Incredible Member

There is no thread about this miniseries?

Marvel reveals its fifth local new Captain America is an active duty military officer

As promised, the current United States of Captain America limited series, which celebrates the star-spangled hero's 80th anniversary, will introduce five new characters inspired directly by the concept of Captain America - and now Marvel has unveiled the fifth and final member of the so-called 'Captains Network.'

The fifth new Captain America, created by series writer Christopher Cantwell and core artist Dale Eaglesham, this time without other co-creators, is Jeremy Merrick, a literal Captain in the United States Air Force who has devoted himself to aiding veterans and active service members.

What's more, Merrick is inspired by a real service member Cantwell met nearly 20 years ago, down to the name 'Jeremy.' Cantwell met the service member, a Staff Sergeant in the US Army, while working as a production assistant on a documentary about the National Guard.

"Meeting these different people, all of whom were serving their communities through wildfires, floods, and natural disasters—while then deploying overseas to Iraq and Afghanistan for additional tours—showed me how myopic my worldview was at the time," Cantwell tells Marvel.com of his experience working alongside National Guard troops.

"There was one Staff Sergeant in particular named Jeremy that I became fast friends with. I really looked up to him," Cantwell continues. "He challenged the idea of what a soldier was in my head and made me completely rethink it. Jeremy Merrick is definitely an echo of him."

In The United States of Captain America, the four modern Captains America - Steve Rogers, John Walker, Bucky Barnes, and Sam Wilson - team up on a road trip adventure across America, in which they meet other heroes from all walks of life, all of whom have been inspired by the collective legacy of Captain America.

Merrick is somewhat unique among the other new members of the 'Captains Network' of local heroes in that he's an active duty service member and a hero who is specifically focused on protecting those who have served in the United States military from exploitation and abandonment by systems that too often let veterans fall through the cracks.

"Jeremy Merrick is an Air Force intelligence officer serving at NORAD, but previous to that he has done tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan," Cantwell explains. "He's stationed in Colorado and is a single dad raising a young daughter. He's very much about protecting those who serve with and under him, like my friend Jeremy was. He wants to make sure his fellow soldiers and service members are protected and taken care of, and aren't chewed up by the system they've devoted their lives to."

The United States of Captain America #5 is due out in October. Stay tuned to Newsarama for Marvel's full October 2021 solicitations, coming later this month.

Honestly feel like I should've seen a Cap that's actually in the service coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly feel like I should've seen a Cap that's actually in the service coming.
    Same. This sounds really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Maybe it should be. Coates' last arc on Captain America was very under the radar. Granted, Coates had set up a ton of other background story elements that led up to that. (One day, I'll reread Coates' run to get the full gist). At the same time, it dealt with themes of prejudice and media which are very prevalent (and when have they never been prevalent, right) in today's culture. This latest arc gave a strong depiction of the Red Skull and what he can do. He's megalomaniacal sure, but more importantly he's a manipulator. He can manipulate hate as skillfully as Steve channels inspiration. He understands this concept on a very fundamental level. And wields it so casually. That's what I dug about Coates' depiction of Red Skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    I'm appreciative of the new announcement regarding the latest individual inspired by Cap. I'm glad that Cantwell chose a service member. For one thing, I think that would quiet many critics who feel that the series is pushing a certain "anti-" something agenda. The new Cap's are emboldened by Captain America. Yes, that includes homeless LGBTQ people, African-American women, Indigenous peoples, and young AAPI college students. And that also includes dedicated members of the United States armed forces. Furthermore, this new USAF character, Jeremy Merrick, is pointing out flaws in the system that is supposed to take care of the armed service members. That's something that doesn't get attention, regardless of the political party in charge of Congress.

So, I'm very much looking forward to this upcoming miniseries. Think it will be great.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

All-New Member

Steve Rogers is my favorite character in Marvel, period. I'm curious to see who will be taking up the title after Coates. As much as I respect Coates as a writer and intellectual (though I admittedly need to read more of his stuff outside of comics), I thought his run was basically...alright. It had some truly great stuff in it, but I felt like most of it was just OK. I loved the first arc as well as the "Steve goes to prison" arc. Those were excellent.

I also really loved the first issue of The United States Of Captain America. Thought they handled it great. I'm a little nervous about upcoming parts of it (namely the Native American Cap and how that can be preeeeetty messy given the US's treatment of Indigenous folks throughout history) but I am cautiously optimistic for the stories ahead.

Maybe it should be. Coates' last arc on Captain America was very under the radar. Granted, Coates had set up a ton of other background story elements that led up to that. (One day, I'll reread Coates' run to get the full gist). At the same time, it dealt with themes of prejudice and media which are very prevalent (and when have they never been prevalent, right) in today's culture. This latest arc gave a strong depiction of the Red Skull and what he can do. He's megalomaniacal sure, but more importantly he's a manipulator. He can manipulate hate as skillfully as Steve channels inspiration. He understands this concept on a very fundamental level. And wields it so casually. That's what I dug about Coates' depiction of Red Skull.

I'm appreciative of the new announcement regarding the latest individual inspired by Cap. I'm glad that Cantwell chose a service member. For one thing, I think that would quiet many critics who feel that the series is pushing a certain "anti-" something agenda. The new Cap's are emboldened by Captain America. Yes, that includes homeless LGBTQ people, African-American women, Indigenous peoples, and young AAPI college students. And that also includes dedicated members of the United States armed forces. Furthermore, this new USAF character, Jeremy Merrick, is pointing out flaws in the system that is supposed to take care of the armed service members. That's something that doesn't get attention, regardless of the political party in charge of Congress.

So, I'm very much looking forward to this upcoming miniseries. Think it will be great.
    Generally agreed, and I'd say if there's an "anti-" agenda being pushed by The United States of Captain America, it's the same "anti-" agenda Captain America has been pushing since punching out Hitler all the way back in his first appearance --- "anti-bigotry, anti-intolerance, anti-prejudice, anti-xenophobia, anti-hate." The people railing against it/the character(s) because it's willing to tackle ongoing issues stemming from the inability and/or unwillingness of this nation to extend its stated promises and ideals to all people(s) equally will find yet another excuse to hate on it because really, the core concept of The United States of Captain America challenges their presumption that America is for them, or people like them, only.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffinFlop View Post
    Steve Rogers is my favorite character in Marvel, period. I'm curious to see who will be taking up the title after Coates. As much as I respect Coates as a writer and intellectual (though I admittedly need to read more of his stuff outside of comics), I thought his run was basically...alright. It had some truly great stuff in it, but I felt like most of it was just OK. I loved the first arc as well as the "Steve goes to prison" arc. Those were excellent.

I also really loved the first issue of The United States Of Captain America. Thought they handled it great. I'm a little nervous about upcoming parts of it (namely the Native American Cap and how that can be preeeeetty messy given the US's treatment of Indigenous folks throughout history) but I am cautiously optimistic for the stories ahead.
    Generally cosigned. Hoping Cantwell can make something good of it, though.

I am absolutely in love with United States of Cap. Every last page was great and looked great. I am loving the chemistry between the caps.

"i almost peed on gettsyburg.." yes cap it was that funny.

And nichelle wright will definitely be a break out.

usofcap.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Anyone else got satisfaction when Sam threw that racist cop through the glass. Man what a relevant issue this was. though Dean Cain and Fox might complain about this too lol