Page 29 of 283 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Speed having Quicksilver's powers lead to Ultimates
    universe jokes sometimes. And it never made sense that neither twin took after Vision.

He was a part of the spell that created them.
    Yeah, it's like Vision was an afterthought.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, it's like Vision was an afterthought.
    Logically, Tommy should have had Vision's powers, but the Young Avengers series that created him already had a new Vision. So Tommy got Pietro's powers by default.

At least the show is trying to find a way to connect those powers to Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Yeah, I got you. I think the reviews in aggregate are most important. I definitely respect the opinions of the critics, but I pay more attention to what audiences think. Both seem to be ranking WandaVision very highly. And for a kind of unconventional show about superheroes, that's pretty remarkable.

On a much sadder note, I don't think Marvel COMICS will do anything to change Wanda from her current "boogeywoman" status. I think the House of M book just sells too well for them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...r_digital-text

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...r_digital-text

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller..._zg_hrsr_books

I think Wanda only gets to be a hero in the MCU.
    That's been true for each event that was linked to the movies. Infinity Gauntlet, CW did the same. Even Ed Brubaker's Cap run. Plus sites aren't creating rec lists for people that cover all of the show's subject matter. For the most part. There are some but they are few and far between. So the general public doesn't get that there is a lot of the Vision, Vision and Scarlet Witch and perhaps some of Nights of Wundagore in this show.

But hopefully after this is all over and everyone knows what's really going on, the lists will improve.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

I have to say, I'm not looking forward to the new episode, since it seems likely that from SWORD's perspective, Wanda is the bad guy. Jimmy asked "who's doing this to you?" but based on what happened to Monica, she'll be reporting back that Wanda is doing it all herself.

Of course this is misdirection and Wanda won't be the bad guy in the end. But I dislike House of M so much that I don't enjoy the show teasing the idea that she'll be the bad guy.

Unfortunately it will probably take a while before we can actually see this from Wanda's POV.

That's been true for each event that was linked to the movies. Infinity Gauntlet, CW did the same. Even Ed Brubaker's Cap run. Plus sites aren't creating rec lists for people that cover all of the show's subject matter. For the most part. There are some but they are few and far between. So the general public doesn't get that there is a lot of the Vision, Vision and Scarlet Witch and perhaps some of Nights of Wundagore in this show.

But hopefully after this is all over and everyone knows what's really going on, the lists will improve.
    Oh, I thought those were longstanding lists, not current ones. Interesting. I will say that King's Vision is selling VERY well for Marvel on Amazon too. House of M involved Wanda, but wasn't really about her. But the Vision was definitely about him and his family. Kind of makes you wonder why Marvel Comics is ignoring them both so much when they're making them so much money. Because of the "esoteric" nature of WandaVision, I think more people are reading the source material than usual to prep them for this series as opposed to other Marvel projects which are more traditional and straight-forward superhero fare. Rolling Stone compiled an interesting and helpful list of comic book collections for those who want to watch the latest Marvel movies and shows:

https://www.rollingstone.com/product...s-mcu-1116713/
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-28-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Oh, I thought those were longstanding lists, not current ones. Interesting. I will say that King's Vision is selling VERY well for Marvel on Amazon too. House of M involved Wanda, but wasn't really about her. But the Vision was definitely about him and his family. Kind of makes you wonder why Marvel Comics is ignoring them both so much when they're making them so much money. Because of the "esoteric" nature of WandaVision, I think more people are reading the source material than usual to prep them for this series as opposed to other Marvel projects which are more traditional and straight-forward superhero fare. Rolling Stone compiled an interesting and helpful list of comic book collections for those who want to watch the latest Marvel movies and shows:

https://www.rollingstone.com/product...s-mcu-1116713/
    Marvel has been all too happy to reprint things. And has more coming in that avenue. Lots of early years for Wanda and Vision. The problem isn't that, but that they are nowhere new.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I have to say, I'm not looking forward to the new episode, since it seems likely that from SWORD's perspective, Wanda is the bad guy. Jimmy asked "who's doing this to you?" but based on what happened to Monica, she'll be reporting back that Wanda is doing it all herself.

Of course this is misdirection and Wanda won't be the bad guy in the end. But I dislike House of M so much that I don't enjoy the show teasing the idea that she'll be the bad guy.

Unfortunately it will probably take a while before we can actually see this from Wanda's POV.
    I think I would not have had a problem with Wanda becoming the bad guy in comics if it were done right.

My biggest problem with AD/HoM is that she was just a plot device. Not present for most of it. Just her powers at work and we see everything happening to everyone else. Even the reasons why she was doing this was butchered because her past continuity was also butchered.

But here we have Wanda fresh from dealing with loss. And it may have made her vulnerable to manipulation. But we also know she's likely to come out of this a hero since she's supposed to take up the mantle of the Scarlet Witch.

So it's less like HoM, and more like when other heroes have been possessed or manipulated but then come out of that ok. I'd say it's not that much like HoM at all. Because while yes, it is a created reality separate from the real one, Wanda is the main character here, her story is forefront. This isn't just focused on everyone else but her. The finer details are also different. It's more like she's Virginia in The Vision here to me.

Marvel has been all too happy to reprint things. And has more coming in that avenue. Lots of early years for Wanda and Vision. The problem isn't that, but that they are nowhere new.
    It shouldn't be this way. I hate it when comic book editors play favorites with characters and ignore others they don't prefer. And I feel that they're doing that here. It's like they don't even care what the readers want! Annoying!

A VERY interesting article about how WandaVision is being received:

https://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/di...ept-change.php

I really REALLY hope audiences stay patient enough with this show (because it is surprisingly subtle and nuanced) to see it through to the end. I don't want the MCU to be like the comics when they get stuck doing the same kind of stories over and over again. Yes, people can gripe about the pacing of the series thus far (and it can be a little bit confusing), but it's not like WandaVision is gonna have eight seasons. Viewers just have to wait until March to see how things shake out. Clearly Feige, Shakman and Schaeffer have a lot of trust in the fans. I hope that trust is rewarded.

It shouldn't be this way. I hate it when comic book editors play favorites with characters and ignore others they don't prefer. And I feel that they're doing that here. It's like they don't even care what the readers want! Annoying!
    Them pushing what they want instead of what people would prefer to read have lead to slagging sales even before Covid. But I suspect the reason that continues is because Marvel makes plenty off their IP through other means. Comics are their hobby division.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know (or really care that much) how the slow burn of "WandaVision" is being received, but I do think this is one reason why Feige decided to switch perspective in episode 4 and answer some questions about where Westview is, who the SWORD agents are, what kind of spell the town is under, etc. After two weeks (or three, depending on when they decided to double up the first two episodes) it's time for some answers to make sure people don't tune out, but not enough answers that they'll stop watching.

Feige is very clever about taking risks with the formula but never pushing it farther than the audience will accept. This is his first TV show, and there are no box office numbers, so I don't know (we may never know) how successful it was. But it's still a Kevin Feige MCU production, it's not "Twin Peaks."

That's not a criticism of Feige. He knows how to bend the formula but not break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    What if Darcy is the mastermind and she was just pretending to be stupid all that time in Thor I'd be here for that.
    I thought Darcy and Woo were basically comic relief in their previous movies. I think they will be more serious in this series.

Them pushing what they want instead of what people would prefer to read have lead to slagging sales even before Covid. But I suspect the reason that continues is because Marvel makes plenty off their IP through other means. Comics are their hobby division.
    But for the characters that aren't utilized, that severely limits the amount of material the movies/shows could use for further appearances for those said characters! I think Vision and Quicksilver are close to the finish line now, but I'm not sure if Wanda can last that much longer (besides being a peripheral player in future ensemble movies. Which is something I don't really want to see. She's already been there and done that and I would consider that a MASSIVE step down for her character).
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-28-2021 at 06:18 PM.

I personally don't mind the slow burn. I like mysteries to unravel gradually. But I do understand why some folks are wondering why "nothing is happening". I think Feige and his fellow execs at Marvel Studios are keenly aware of fan sentiment and can sense some people might be losing interest in the series. They might even read these threads! So a change of perspective might give WandaVision a chance to regain some of the momentum it may have lost earlier. I have mixed feelings about this. I liked the show best when it focused on Wanda and Vision, but I guess Darcy, Jimmy and Monica need some screen time too and deserve it as well. WandaVision can't turn into a "Lynchian" production. I don't think MCU audiences would accept it. I just hope the series stays as experimental and avant-garde for as long as possible.

It's not like the folks working on WandaVision aren't aware of fan concerns regarding the show's pace:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...slow-response/

And by the way, I don't mind Wanda being aggressive in defending her family. Some might see that as being "bad", but I think a lot of viewers would be sympathetic about her motives. That's if Olsen shows some nuance and subtlety in her acting (which I believe and am confident that she is fully capable of).
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-28-2021 at 06:55 PM.

But for the characters that aren't utilized, that severely limits the amount of material the movies/shows could use for further appearances for those said characters! I think Vision and Quicksilver are close to the finish line now, but I'm not sure if Wanda can last that much longer (besides being a peripheral player in future ensemble movies. Which is something I don't really want to see. She's already been there and done that and I would consider that a MASSIVE step down for her character).
    Wanda is in thousands of comics over the 55 years of her as a character. So there's a lot to use of her, The Vision and Quicksilver. If they wanted. It only depends on if they want to do that.