Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Cross Out The First 9; The Most Avengery Avenger Is...

Disqualified:
    • Ant-Man (Pym)
    • Hulk
    • Ironman
    • Thor
    • Wasp
    • Captain America
    • Hawkeye
    • Quicksilver
    • Scarlet Withch

With them off the table, which character is most representative of the Avengers, and which is most defined by being an Avenger?

Interesting question but for me the answer is fairly simple. When I think of the Avengers the first character that comes to mind is Vision. Viz is the heart and soul of the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Interesting question but for me the answer is fairly simple. When I think of the Avengers the first character that comes to mind is Vision. Viz is the heart and soul of the Avengers.
    Yeah, off the top of my head it was either going to be Vision or Wonder Man as both of their origins and the majority of their stories revolve around the Avengers. But Vision won out.

Part of me was also going to say Stingray .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Yeah, off the top of my head it was either going to be Vision or Wonder Man as both of their origins and the majority of their stories revolve around the Avengers. But Vision won out .
    QFT

10 char

Extraordinary Member

Leaving Vision aside (I have a feeling he might have been left off the original list by mistake), I'm going to be weird and say the Beast.

Sure, he wasn't an active Avenger for long, but all his teammates were longtime Avengers and he is part of that 1970s era that defined what "classic Avengers" means for a lot of us; there's a reason that in the third issue of JLA/Avengers he's shown as part of a "classic" Avengers lineup before reality starts shifting out of control.

Beast also embodies a number of things I associate with the franchise:

- A character introduced in one comic finds a new life in the Avengers comic;
    - The charming, even comedic tone of the comic that lets a serious character like Beast turn into a comedian; the Avengers are just a fun team to join and it's not quite as angsty as some of the other franchises
    - The writer (Steve Englehart) uses the Avengers comic to wrap up stories he started but didn't finish in another comic (Beast's "Amazing Adventures" series)
    - Characters get time to form friendships and actually have down time together, with Beast and Wonder Man developing a very convincing friendship in Avengers subplots over the years

Black Panther has a longer history with the team, of course, but T'Challa got more development in his own series than as an Avenger. While Hank McCoy was with the team for a shorter time but it was perhaps the best time of his whole long comics career.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I agree, Vision would be my first choice

Black Knight (Dane Whitman) would be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I agree, Vision would be my first choice

Black Knight (Dane Whitman) would be next.
    Bro I was thinking of what my 2nd choice would be an I couldn't choose between Dane and Monica lol.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Vision easily, and he's certainly a more important Avenger than Quicksilver at least.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Vision or Wonder Man. Those two feel like the most quintessential classic Avengers characters. They also have deep ties to the other Avengers and Avengers foes.

There have been other notable Avengers but many of them didn't have as long runs on the team or didn't really make as deep an impact to the Avengers lore.

Wonder Man
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Vision. At one stage, he was the corner box.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Wonder Man
    To the utmost, I agree!

Ultimate Member

I definitely would want to pick someone without a significant presence in non-Avengers teams, and yet also a classic Avenger.

And, eliminating earlier characters like Pym, Janet, Tony, Thor, Wanda, Clint and Cap, I'd absolutely pick Vision. (even ahead of Pietro and Hulk!)

But Wonder Man's right behind him, and even people like Black Panther, Black Widow and Monica Rambeau have some skin in the game (with Panther perhaps being a little too independent, like Namor, to really feel like an Avenger-to-the-core, he's kind of more than 'just' an Avenger, with a lot of his own stuff going on...).

Astonishing Member

Vision, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (Carol), and Wonder Man

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Vision, Black Widow, and Wonder Man