Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    I didn't keep up with the comics for a while after Messiah Complex, but was just thinking about all the drama Cyclops landed himself in after AvX, it just dawned on me that nobody seems to remember that Bishop also killed him a few months before this?

How come nobody ever mentions this? How was he redeemed? Bit strange.
    The turned Bishop into a genocidal maniac who killed more people than anybody can count.

Totally ruined a good character and swept it all under a rug with little repercussions other that damaging him for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I thought in the X-Force that came after AvX it was revealed that he was possessed by Demon Bear?
    He was possessed afterwards. Sometime in the future the Demon Bear took him over.

Incredible Member

What I REALLY want to know is if Bishop's future is still going to come true.

BANNED

The fallout was that Marvel then had him go on to kill try to kill a child with no redemptive out because **** black heroes.

At least nowadays he isn't a villain anymore and has the same empty lip-service status as Storm.

If Bishop looked like Cable or Cyclops there would have been some story where they all go to the future and see that the world would be screwed if he hadn't done what he did or some other kind of story ninjutsu to give him vindication for the villain arc.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    What I REALLY want to know is if Bishop's future is still going to come true.
    Bishop has no future. Not with the X-Men anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The fallout was that Marvel then had him go on to kill try to kill a child with no redemptive out because **** black heroes.

At least nowadays he isn't a villain anymore and has the same empty lip-service status as Storm.

If Bishop looked like Cable or Cyclops there would have been some story where they all go to the future and see that the world would be screwed if he hadn't done what he did or some other kind of story ninjutsu to give him vindication for the villain arc.
    Now that you said it, usually minorities are put as disposable on stories. It's a shame
    Last edited by Rang10; 06-01-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I thought in the X-Force that came after AvX it was revealed that he was possessed by Demon Bear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He was possessed afterwards. Sometime in the future the Demon Bear took him over.

Wait WHAT!?

Now I'm confused I have fuzzy memories of that X-force run but I thought the whole point of that confusing mess was so absolve Bishop of any wrongdoing. Hence the inclusion of the Demon Bear now I'm discovering he did all that in the Cable run of free mind, body, soul? So I guess I agree with the thread started exactly why was he accepted back into the X-men?

They complete and utterly villainized Bishop so that Cable could play the hero in a story involving a Messiah Hope who didn't even live up to the expectations the story originally implied was just a bad choice, made worst by literally everything that came after it, looking at you AvX!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Now that you said it, usually minorities are put as disposable on stories. It's a shame
    That was the underlying ick factor of that entire story.

They really gave that story, that irredeemability, to what was in all practical senses 50% of the commonly known black X-Men and 100% of the known black male X-Men. Absolutely wild!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

They really gave that story, that irredeemability, to what was in all practical senses 50% of the commonly known black X-Men and 100% of the known black male X-Men. Absolutely wild!
    Given how many higher ups who jumped at the chance to say their were basically living vicariously through Cyclops, I'm sure not a single person saw anything wrong with the ONLY black X-man being demonized and villainized. So much so they didn't even care to do anything with him for years afterwards, truly a "lost" era if there ever was one!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Given how many higher ups who jumped at the chance to say their were basically living vicariously through Cyclops, I'm sure not a single person saw anything wrong with the ONLY black X-man being demonized and villainized. So much so they didn't even care to do anything with him for years afterwards, truly a "lost" era if there ever was one!
    Lost is definitely a good word for it!

Wasn’t that also the period where they made Forge a villain? Starting to see a trend.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

In all fairness, the early to mid 2000's was filled with attempts to push the boundaries in comics. Characters acted darker than normal and storylines were usually very serious or dark. It was the thing everyone was doing. Character assassinations were a common consequence. Bishop unfortunately was the only character who could act as a counter to Cable. The biggest problem, was that his side of the story was underdeveloped which left him in an awkward position after the dust settled. In hindsight, it doesn't look very good, but it probably had more to do with popularity than anything. Popular characters get redeemed, others are usually not as lucky and are left in limbo. Although, that definitely doesn't help the situation either when viewed in hindsight.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Wasn’t that also the period where they made Forge a villain? Starting to see a trend.
    Well Sunfire disappear quickly and Thunderbird got killed right away, So yeah franchise really does not have a good track record. I guess we should be worried for Synch and Sunfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Wait WHAT!?

Now I'm confused I have fuzzy memories of that X-force run but I thought the whole point of that confusing mess was so absolve Bishop of any wrongdoing. Hence the inclusion of the Demon Bear now I'm discovering he did all that in the Cable run of free mind, body, soul? So I guess I agree with the thread started exactly why was he accepted back into the X-men?

They complete and utterly villainized Bishop so that Cable could play the hero in a story involving a Messiah Hope who didn't even live up to the expectations the story originally implied was just a bad choice, made worst by literally everything that came after it, looking at you AvX!!
    Yeah I think we all kinda thought the same. I bought X-Force thinking "Sheesh, they could redeem Bishop in a main X-Book instead of this" but no. Why the hell did they do that messy possession story only to reveal he had been possessed after becoming a genocidal maniac? No idea
    The firing Xavier in the head thing is trivial to me. What irks me is what happened afterwards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    In all fairness, the early to mid 2000's was filled with attempts to push the boundaries in comics. Characters acted darker than normal and storylines were usually very serious or dark. It was the thing everyone was doing. Character assassinations were a common consequence. Bishop unfortunately was the only character who could act as a counter to Cable. The biggest problem, was that his side of the story was underdeveloped which left him in an awkward position after the dust settled. In hindsight, it doesn't look very good, but it probably had more to do with popularity than anything. Popular characters get redeemed, others are usually not as lucky and are left in limbo. Although, that definitely doesn't help the situation either when viewed in hindsight.
    Marvel had negative consequences for darker storytelling whereas DC benefitted a lot and they were at their peak.