Page 404 of 955 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504904 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 14314
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Prep master is crazy hard to put on screen.

The only real instance of it I can think of is the RDJ sherlock movies.

You have to have someone "explain" the prep at some point. That is why Priest used Ross to narrate.

About as much prep you are going to see on film is similar to Tc'halla going "yo turn on the mine train so I can gut this dude"

TBH... warrior-king T'Chadwick was REFRESHING as hell.
    Warrior-king T’Challa is dope. But that’s not all he is lol, the radical reformist king, super-genius, and political mastermind are all relevant aspects of his character and I’d like to think we would’ve seen those other parts if Chadwick had more time. Based off the first film I’m not too sure.

I can give the movies a pass on the planning/strategy stuff because like we said, it’s hard to translate to screen. It’s probably something they would’ve had to build over several movies to really execute well. But I was never gonna be satisfied with just a really nice guy and warrior being king.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Didn't Chadwick lobby to have the Wakandans use African accents instead of British ones? I remember reading that somewhere.
    Yeah he pushed for it otherwise he didn't want the role. I think there was something else too ontop of the turning down endorsements that would have a negative impact on T'Challa image and imagery for young black boys. Maybe he created the Wakanda forever salute?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    You’re describing tactics, not strategy though. Showing ingenuity in the middle of a battle shows T’Challa has a high battle IQ and is a skilled warrior. Strategy is shown through leveraging political and economic resources, using interpersonal communication, contingencies, etc. Drawing out your enemy under the cover of a diplomatic meeting to launch a special strike on a military target thousands of miles away is a strategy, it’s more than just throwing hands. It’s about using your intelligence in areas outside of a fight to misdirect, manipulate, and have a greater effect than just stabbing a guy using tech. T’Challa implanting spies across the world and activating them at a critical moment is a strategy, though obviously in the current books it’s turning out rather poorly.
    We never got to even see it because the movie we would see this in BP 2 T'Challa is gone. The other was in CW deleted scene. I 100% have no doubt we would of see political manipulation through T'Challa. No way they would give that to any other character because you literally can't. The opening Wakanda was stupid to give to Nakia but it atleast somewhat makes sense because she is out in the world and sees all the issues m trying to pretend she would have the political savy to meet with other World leaders over T'Challa would be absolutely stupid because she has trained her entire life to deal with that and T'Challa had. Literally no other character could. That was one core trait of his that was absolutely safe from being given to anyone else to give agency.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

X-Men Red #4. Ewing’s directly shaded BP on two separate occasions in his recent books. Once when he had Doom say to Storm that as Regent of Mars she was finally more than “a king’s wife” and again when in a data page by Abigail Brand she said she was expecting the Queen of Wakanda to be her pawn, not the Queen of the Morlocks. In an interview he basically said Storm was made less than what she was when she was in T’Challa’s book because he’s the star.

He further clarified his “Queen of Wakanda” remarks to say it meant she wouldn’t just rubber stamp what the supposed main character wanted. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder regarding the relationship and now that they’re on the same “level” as cosmic leaders I definitely expect him to have Storm throw it in T’Challa’s face.

On top of that, he’s a continuity junky. In the recent BP books it’s been revealed that her student, Gentle, was a spy for T’Challa. She’s been shown as mad and betrayed at T’Challa’s secrecy. No reason to think that won’t come up, since he’s said in the past he’s aware of the BP office’s plans. The premise of the issue is Storm confronting a Galactic Illuminati. So I suspect T’Challa’s pulling some scheme in space with some cosmic leaders and Storm’s not happy, so she’ll put him in his place and call him out on the BS (bc I guarantee whatever he’s planning won’t be a good idea) Basically a reversal of what T’Challa did when he first got asked to join the Illuminati but with a bit more “I don’t need no man”/“men ain’t shit” energy.

What I’m more worried about is how he handles the empire. He’s not coming at this story from the perspective of elevating T’Challa and if he’s working with Ridley I don’t trust any of them to handle it in a way that doesn’t make T’Challa look bad.

Still not as bad as what’s gonna happen to T’Challa when he fights Falcon though lol.
    When Doom mentioned Storm being a mere king's wife he was really shading her not T'Challa. Yes he indirectly looked down on T'Challa and Wakanda but given his history with both...that's quintessential Doom.

When Brand calls her Queen of the Morlocks she again is shading Storm not T'Challa, admitting that the Storm she expected would have been "softened" by the throne instead she got "Battle/time-tested Storm".

As for what Ewing will do to/with T'Challa and the relationship in XMR issue 4, all you've stated is pure speculation. As we have no idea what Ewing's Galactic War/Illuminati story entails...tho we do have some idea of the protagonists and villains.
    And I will see your speculation and add my own to say given his history, and the setting, he could quite possibly leave the relationship drama aside and treat both characters respectfully as two Heads of Cosmic State deserve. Even if he does address the relationship status he could do so with respect and professionalism.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-27-2022 at 12:22 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    At some point these writers and editors have to stop and say "okay we gotta do SOMETHING for T'Challa because this hate fest has to lead to something. He can't just take Ls all the time. I hope Ridley pulls his head out of his ass and actually tells a T'Challa story and not a Wakanda/OC story that no one actually cares about. What's so hard about elevating T'Challa?there's tons of stories left to tell Still
    Wakanda versus EVERYBODY...

12 issue event written by a returning Coates.

Wakanda loses and heads off to space and we get this caption...

T'Challa: And the word went forth to every outpost of Wakanda, and they came – the Panther cult, White Gorilla cult, Lion cult and the Crocodile cult. Along with Prodigy, Eli Bradley, Gentle and from the pits of limbo Black Goliath 2, Triad Man and Alex Wilder (go figure?).

In all, two hundred and twenty ships, representing every colony, color and creed in the Kingdom. The Wakanda might have one more chance, but first it would have to survive the alliance, the elements and the unknown dark and sinister threats that would lie ahead.

Fleeing from the tyranny, the last Battlestar Wakanda leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest... a shining planet known as Yautja Prime.

And this Wakanda in space begins.

Prep master is crazy hard to put on screen.

The only real instance of it I can think of is the RDJ sherlock movies.

You have to have someone "explain" the prep at some point. That is why Priest used Ross to narrate.
    You need to watch more heist films. Ocean's 11 did it 4 times. Now You See Me twice.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    You need to watch more heist films. Ocean's 11 did it 4 times. Now You See Me twice.
    Yeah, but those are heist films. Not superhero movies.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-27-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, but those are heist film. Not superhero movies.
    IMO, the best superhero movies have taken elements from other genres. For example, Black Panther had elements of a Bond film, while Civil War was a 70s espionage film.

Heck, Ant Man was a heist film... just not the style I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I really hope we aren't going to get into a new low where frakking FALCON is able to beat T'Challa. It's only going to reinforce that bullshit podcast that claimed Shuri or Storm could outfight T'Challa.

Basically there's no good way for this to end. It's unlikely T'Challa will curbstomp falcon like he should, him stalemating Falcon makes him look bad, and losing makes him look worse. They are slowly turning T'Challa into a chump starting with his series and then this Falcon series. If Ewing chumps him too then the only good showings would be JA... Not a good position to be be in
    T'Challa would whack Storm & Shuri at the same time. GTFO lol. At least he should knowing he's aware of his ex's abilities and has resources to counter it. Shuri would maybe be on Sam's level. Hahaha. What podcast said this??

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Say it again for the folks in the back.

Fans WHINE about events and their favorites being trashed.

Yet show up every Wednesday to buy that book.

And in some case take out their frustrations on Inhumans, Jace Fox (Can't read about Bruce Wayne before Jace has a book), Duke Thomas (ruin Tim Drake), Synch (Stole from Rogue), Teen Lantern (ruined Green Lantern franchise) and anyone else of color for why those crappy things keep happening.

You buy crap-you are going to get CRAP.

If this movie turns out to be nothing more than a stealth launch for other folks and it's a hit. Except Black Panther 3 to do the same. Heck we might get Aliens or Predator in that film.
    Yup. Comic fans are so stubborn and it hurts their cause. I won't touch a Black Panther comic until writers get their crap together - and I wouldn't be caught dead in a theater watching a Black Panther film exploit an actor's death while massacring a historic black character's success. Disney has ulterior motives and it ain't good. They are happy to move on and pass the mantle to a black female. Don't get it twisted. Anyways, Long Live the King!! Hope Black Panther 2 does Lightyear numbers. Hahaha.

Ewing has traditional been one of the best T'challa writers the last handful of years.

But any story thta puts Storm and T'challa anywhere near each other has not ended well for T'challa in a very very very very long time.
    There is a constant,underlying premise when Storm and BP are written together:

It's always T'Challa's fault for everything bad that happens. Always.

Warrior-king T’Challa is dope. But that’s not all he is lol, the radical reformist king, super-genius, and political mastermind are all relevant aspects of his character and I’d like to think we would’ve seen those other parts if Chadwick had more time. Based off the first film I’m not too sure.

I can give the movies a pass on the planning/strategy stuff because like we said, it’s hard to translate to screen. It’s probably something they would’ve had to build over several movies to really execute well. But I was never gonna be satisfied with just a really nice guy and warrior being king.
    Ryan coogler didn't even know to add those things. There's a reason he didn't connect with the character because he didn't know anything about the character. One of his first interviews when he was asked to describe what makes black panther black panther he literally described the job title and the costume and that was it

Being a master planner is difficult to show in movies unless a character is either setting a trap for the antagonist or actively working to subvert them. Killmonger came off as more of a chess master (and even he really didn’t embody the trope) because T’Challa was the one maintaining the status quo of isolationism and N’Jadaka was undermining him by using Wakanda’s traditions against itself and infiltrating other groups to get close to the throne.

If T’Challa was going against Namor that could’ve been an opportunity to expand on T’Challa’s strategic skills but it’s entirely possible Coogler would’ve had Nakia or someone else do it. He very much seemed to prefer the straightforward warrior-king T’Challa, Captain America but with the resources of a king. Based off the first movie I don’t know if he would’ve had T’Challa trick Namor into a secret rendezvous to launch an attack on Atlantis like Hickman did. I somewhat doubt he’d do something like have T’Challa let the world think he was a madman or crash the world economy to weaken his enemy’s defenses and outmaneuver them. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t know if Coogler wants or is capable of that kind of writing and that’s where T’Challa shines.
    Villains usually get the role of prep master because the hero has to find some fantastic way to get out some elaborate trap or the hero has to find a way to figure out the villains scheme.

Think Ledgers' Joker in Dark Knight or Hans from Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    When Doom mentioned Storm being a mere king's wife he was really shading her not T'Challa. Yes he indirectly looked down on T'Challa and Wakanda but given his history with both...that's quintessential Doom.

When Brand calls her Queen of the Morlocks she again is shading Storm not T'Challa, admitting that the Storm she expected would have been "softened" by the throne instead she got "Battle/time-tested Storm".

As for what Ewing will do to/with T'Challa and the relationship in XMR issue 4, all you've stated is pure speculation. As we have no idea what Ewing's Galactic War/Illuminati story entails...tho we do have some idea of the protagonists and villains.
    And I will see your speculation and add my own to say given his history, and the setting, he could quite possibly leave the relationship drama aside and treat both characters respectfully as two Heads of Cosmic State deserve. Even if he does address the relationship status he could do so with respect and professionalism.
    Optimism? Here?

That said I have faith Ewing will write T'Challa respectfully. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt him.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    IMO, the best superhero movies have taken elements from other genres. For example, Black Panther had elements of a Bond film, while Civil War was a 70s espionage film.

Heck, Ant Man was a heist film... just not the style I'm talking about.
    Winter Soldier was a rip on Bourne except they did it from another angle. The "villain" (Bucky) was Bourne.