Page 325 of 955 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375425825 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 14314

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That won't happen until their corporate overlords at Disney start caring about the comics as anything other than sources for IP. And THAT won't matter until the movies start losing money.

(If Disney cared one whit about the comics, do you think they'd want Stephen Strange DEAD in the MU when his movie came out?)
    Well, that's one time they didn't try to get the comic in synch with the movie.

I can't muster enough energy to wonder why Marvel Comics does what they do anymore. It's like they've pretty much taken comic fans for granted. DC too for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Well, that's one time they didn't try to get the comic in synch with the movie.

I can't muster enough energy to wonder why Marvel Comics does what they do anymore. It's like they've pretty much taken comic fans for granted. DC too for that matter.
    At times like this, I really wish there was a metric to gauge how much the movies drive people to read the comics. My brother and my sister-in-law love the movies, but neither of them have read a comic in their lives. I've come to terms with the synergy, I just wish they were honest about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    At times like this, I really wish there was a metric to gauge how much the movies drive people to read the comics. My brother and my sister-in-law love the movies, but neither of them have read a comic in their lives. I've come to terms with the synergy, I just wish they were honest about it.
    Near as I can figure... they don't. It certainly didn't move the BP needle much.

It makes sense, though. Between impenetrability, discontinuity, and a truly broken ordering system, comics are almost a closed door to new readers. As I've ranted before... consider this:

An eager young reader just saw Cool Superhero. They are told CS comes from a comic, so they want to read more.

They go to a bookstore and see a shelf of graphic novels, almost all labeled by name instead of volume number. They pick the one that looks like an origin.

It's actually a relaunch from 5 years ago. The origin is similar to the movie, but the story is different, and there are other characters. They have some extra pocket money, so they want the next volume. It's a tie-in to a crossover. They don't want to buy all those issues, so they stop.

Or maybe they skip ahead, but now it's a new writer, and the story doesn't look like the movie at all. They see a post on a website that suggests the newest run is "back to basics" and the cover of the first issue has a new costume that looks just like the movie one. So they look for it. The bookstore doesn't have it.

They find a comic-book store in a ratty shopping plaza on the other side of town. They go in, asking about the new run, but all the owner (who is a little scary) has is a variant cover on the wall for $150. He can order it for them, and it'll arrive in a couple of weeks, or they can sign up for it digitally, but they have to use a credit card. There WILL be a trade in 3 months, tho. If they want to get new issues as they arrive, they have to order months in advance, because CS doesn't sell well at his store, so he only buys for subs...

Meanwhile, they can pick up new chapers of My Hero Academia for free online, and the bookstore has all of the trades, nicely numbered. And the TV show, movies, and manga are all in the same continuity...

Near as I can figure... they don't. It certainly didn't move the BP needle much.

It makes sense, though. Between impenetrability, discontinuity, and a truly broken ordering system, comics are almost a closed door to new readers. As I've ranted before... consider this:

An eager young reader just saw Cool Superhero. They are told CS comes from a comic, so they want to read more.

They go to a bookstore and see a shelf of graphic novels, almost all labeled by name instead of volume number. They pick the one that looks like an origin.

It's actually a relaunch from 5 years ago. The origin is similar to the movie, but the story is different, and there are other characters. They have some extra pocket money, so they want the next volume. It's a tie-in to a crossover. They don't want to buy all those issues, so they stop.

Or maybe they skip ahead, but now it's a new writer, and the story doesn't look like the movie at all. They see a post on a website that suggests the newest run is "back to basics" and the cover of the first issue has a new costume that looks just like the movie one. So they look for it. The bookstore doesn't have it.

They find a comic-book store in a ratty shopping plaza on the other side of town. They go in, asking about the new run, but all the owner (who is a little scary) has is a variant cover on the wall for $150. He can order it for them, and it'll arrive in a couple of weeks, or they can sign up for it digitally, but they have to use a credit card. There WILL be a trade in 3 months, tho. If they want to get new issues as they arrive, they have to order months in advance, because CS doesn't sell well at his store, so he only buys for subs...

Meanwhile, they can pick up new chapers of My Hero Academia for free online, and the bookstore has all of the trades, nicely numbered. And the TV show, movies, and manga are all in the same continuity...
    They way they do trades really is baffling.

The only "good" way to read comics is Marvel Unlimited. And its not even good organization wise. But at least it isn't crazy expensive
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I got a heads up that tomorrows issue shows no improvement in writing whatsoever.

Just in case some of you talked yourself into buying it again lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I got a heads up that tomorrows issue shows no improvement in writing whatsoever.

Just in case some of you talked yourself into buying it again lol
    I won’t be buying it definitely. There’s only one thing I was curious about, but I have no hope that Ridley got it right. I hate to do this to anything BP related, but I’m forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I won’t be buying it definitely. There’s only one thing I was curious about, but I have no hope that Ridley got it right. I hate to do this to anything BP related, but I’m forced to.
    Don't feel bad, I tried to give Ridley the benefit of the doubt but I've given up on it.

There's really nothing good to talk about as far as T'Challa goes unless it's to revisit past stories.

It's a sad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Don't feel bad, I tried to give Ridley the benefit of the doubt but I've given up on it.

There's really nothing good to talk about as far as T'Challa goes unless it's to revisit past stories.

It's a sad time.
    I can handle mediocre/meh stories.

I can't handle mediocre/meh stories where the main character sucks lol.

Joe Quesada is leaving Marvel.

Not sure how that effects Panther but everyone in charge over the last 6 years leaving would be a positive gain.

They way they do trades really is baffling.

The only "good" way to read comics is Marvel Unlimited. And its not even good organization wise. But at least it isn't crazy expensive
    If you don't mind waiting 6 months for the latest chapter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post

Not sure how that effects Panther but everyone in charge over the last 6 years leaving would be a positive gain.
    Not much. He hasn't been in a position of power over the comics since 2011. And what little creative input he had was likely erased when Feige abolished the "creative committee".

Lol. You know what I did instead? Bought another copy of Redjack’s King in Black. Because I lost my other paperback copy.

Lol. You know what I did instead? Bought another copy of Redjack’s King in Black. Because I lost my other paperback copy.
    Think ill do that again tomorrow too as a form of protest

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post

I'll still give him credit for getting Priest to do Black Panther.

They more he tells me about the issue, the worse it gets TBH

If you don't mind waiting 6 months for the latest chapter...
    3 months nowactually!

for 60 dollars for the whole year (or 10 dollars a month).

Plus they have reading guides, which could be helpful.

For comics, it is easily the best deal around.

I really don't have any enthusiasm for comics outside of The Star Wars comics.

The Sam Wilson/Cap comic looks promising though.