Page 62 of 95 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Sigh...first thing that i thought of was: "Again? Tony is going to lose everything again? Because that's only happened 50 times before lol" Ill give it a shot, but the leash is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman3000 View Post
    Sigh...first thing that i thought of was: "Again? Tony is going to lose everything again? Because that's only happened 50 times before lol" Ill give it a shot, but the leash is short.
    Then you've got more patience than I do. I'm already done with Dugan's run. The stale, stale description is already enough to make me go "nope".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I enjoy Duggan as a writer so having him shepherd Tony could be fun...although losing his wealth, fame, and privilege feels so "been there, done that."
    I see a lot of people in the thread are getting angry about this particular point -- but might Duggan not just be picking up where Cantwell is leaving off? We've already been told in the present arc that Tony's current mission to buy up all these super-weapons is likely going to cost him everything.

It just seems like some people are getting angry at Duggan already when we don't know the context -- and he MIGHT just be building from the status quo that Tony is left with at the end of Cantwell's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I see a lot of people in the thread are getting angry about this particular point -- but might Duggan not just be picking up where Cantwell is leaving off? We've already been told in the present arc that Tony's current mission to buy up all these super-weapons is likely going to cost him everything.

It just seems like some people are getting angry at Duggan already when we don't know the context -- and he MIGHT just be building from the status quo that Tony is left with at the end of Cantwell's run.
    That's fair. I mean, it would be nice for once to see a writer actually carry on from a previous run instead of treating it as a soft reboot like most relaunches are these days, yet is also just feels like it's doubling down on the same things.

Its interesting...i dont know how many of you have read Spider Man And Daredevil over the years, but Tony, Peter and Matt should have their own support group lol. Marvel blows up their lives all the time and all 3 have had to rebuild their lives so many times, it makes me wonder if its just a coincidence, or something Marvel writers actually plan out.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Its interesting...i dont know how many of you have read Spider Man And Daredevil over the years, but Tony, Peter and Matt should have their own support group lol. Marvel blows up their lives all the time and all 3 have had to rebuild their lives so many times, it makes me wonder if its just a coincidence, or something Marvel writers actually plan out.
    That's actually a pretty good idea there. Hell, Peter just got his life blown up (yet) again in the beginning of the post-Beyond run by Zeb Wells, so he and Tony could have a lot to relate on besides being scientific geniuses with snarky senses of humor and massive guilt complexes. And Matt got his life blown up so badly he just gave up being Matt Murdock entirely (not for the first time, if counting the "armored Daredevil" period from the 90s) and embarked on a quest to destroy the Hand for good.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Then you've got more patience than I do. I'm already done with Dugan's run. The stale, stale description is already enough to make me go "nope".
    Stark is getting Parkerized big time

Yeah, we don't need anymore of that. Slott's run may not have been the best but at least he didn't start his run with "Tony's lost everything".

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, we don't need anymore of that. Slott's run may not have been the best but at least he didn't start his run with "Tony's lost everything".
    Besides, Fraction's run on the title pretty much set the benchmark for Tony losing everything stories..."Worlds Most Wanted" will be hard to top.

BANNED

It's a new trope. Just like Asgard getting destroyed every once and a while, Peter and MJ seperating or having an arguement, Aunt May having a new husband/boyfriend only to bury him a couple of years later, Cap's shield getting shattered, Jean and the Phoenix Force having a picnic and others.

It's not even that he suffers loses, but that he mostly loses inanimate THINGS like his company. I just can't care about losing a company. And when he does periodically lose a person, like his fiancee Rumiko, he forgets she ever existed an issue later. He doesn't care, so why should I care? They like to make him suffer losses, but aren't interested in making him suffer long term grief because that gets in the way of them hitting the reset button and moving on to a new storyarc that ignores everything from the last storyarc. This effectively makes him a sociopath, or even a psychopath. Why would I care about what a psychopath loses when they are literally neurologically incapable of caring about those losses themselves?

BANNED

Besides, Fraction's run on the title pretty much set the benchmark for Tony losing everything stories..."Worlds Most Wanted" will be hard to top.
    He had lost everything before World's Most Wanted. His second fall in alcoolism (in which Stane took over Stark International) and he once gave his fortune away when he was developing his SKIN armor and after his brawl with that antagonist who had developed a virtual reality game (who had also stole his then girlfriend Rumiko.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Well, considering Duggan wrote Firestar in this week X-Men issue "forgetting" that she had been a member of the X-Men before, it's quite likely he'll either pretend all these stories in which Tony lost everything never happened or he just hasn't read them. Either way, it's impossible to be optimistic.

Damn! Y’all are getting me depressed already. I’ve never read anything by Duggan. So I am now trepidatious to say the least.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Damn! Y’all are getting me depressed already. I’ve never read anything by Duggan. So I am now trepidatious to say the least.
    Duggan is by no means a complete train wreck like, say, Jason Aaron these days. He has written good stuff, and his X-men book isn't bad, but it's just that he's, say, selective in his characterization, indicating he's either not done his homework or is deliberately ignoring things. His best written character in recent times was Synch, who was essentially a blank state.