Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
Okay i recently read some updated info on shang chi parents in comics.
I posted that his mother was bi-racial in the last Asian marvel characters appreciation thread.

Asian marvel characters-appreciation thread.
https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page20

I was mistaken.

She was white.
His father is all east asian.
So was i right originally.

In recent comics he real found his biological mom who is all east asian.

Note- just because his father was named Fu Manchu,that does not mean he has the same history as the other one.
His name is now Zheng Zu in comics anyway and he was never any verison of Fu Manchu.
Of course that was changed awhile ago.

His father in the canon marvel comic version was never part british,so i was originally right about that one also.
So shang-chi is not bi-racial in canon comics.
That has been retcon.

Why is Shang-Chi losing his biracial heritage? self.CharacterRant
https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRa...cial_heritage/

curious. well, in my case I never really got to read the original series of MOKF. So I had no idea that he was initially half-caucasian for many years of my awareness of the character.

I also wasn't initially aware of the legal connections to the Sax Rohmer estate, creator of Fu Manchu, etc., and the problems that posed in later years.

At this point, I understand the legal and creative imperative to cut off Shang from any connections to the "Fu Manchu" narrative, including distancing Shang from the Yellow Peril tropes of the 20th century.

As far as the white mom, I don't know how often she was used in the comics. Since it appears that she wasn't used that often, I guess Marvel editorial feels safe to retcon it away since the initial reason for it had to do with a certain kind of hyper-assimilation based racism, being "half-caucasian" as making a character more sympathetic to the (presumed) audience of Caucasian comic book buyers (most of whom in the 70s were kids, of course)..

At this point, I don't know if there would ever be a storyline that involves the woman who was ordered or brainwashed to pretend to be Shang's mother is in trouble, and then Shang has to save her (or perhaps he can't save her, dramatic death) and come to terms with what her "deception" means to him at this point in his life.