Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tombstone (Lonnie Thompson Lincoln) Thread 2022

First (brief) appearance: Web of Spider-Man #36
    (cover-dated March 1988, on-sale date of November 3, 1987 per the GCD)

And in Spectacular Spider-Man #137 (April 1988):

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I have completely given up hope for the second volume of the Tombstone tpb. Lol.

I like Tombstone. He's a solid character who has fallen into a pattern of being relegated to jobber rather than a real threat. The whispering thing, when used correctly, can be very intimidating.

Early Tombstone really reminds me very much of early Killer Croc (also created by Gerry Conway) in that they're very cold, calculated and ruthless, while also being far more cunning than they're given credit for. Both are skilled at getting people to underestimate them before striking. It's a shame that one way or another both lost their edge over the years to largely become 2nd stringer brutes.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I have completely given up hope for the second volume of the Tombstone tpb. Lol.

I like Tombstone. He's a solid character who has fallen into a pattern of being relegated to jobber rather than a real threat. The whispering thing, when used correctly, can be very intimidating.

Early Tombstone really reminds me very much of early Killer Croc (also created by Gerry Conway) in that they're very cold, calculated and ruthless, while also being far more cunning than they're given credit for. Both are skilled at getting people to underestimate them before striking. It's a shame that one way or another both lost their edge over the years to largely become 2nd stringer brutes.
    As a kid, when I watched The Spectacular Spider-Man, I really liked Tombstone as a villain and thought he was cool. I was disappointed when I started reading the comic and realized that he was not as important a character as he was in the animated series. I hope Tombstone becomes a great antagonist again in Wells' ASM (as in the old stories in the Spectacular comic and in the animated series), he has a lot of potential for that.

Mighty Member

Tombstone is one of those characters where he's either the best thing ever, or just there... For some reason there is never an in between with him. When was the last time he had any interaction with Robbie?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Tombstone is one of those characters where he's either the best thing ever, or just there... For some reason there is never an in between with him. When was the last time he had any interaction with Robbie?
    Spencer's run his spoilers:
    daughter is dating Robbie's son
    end of spoilers

Tombstone is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains. Compared to various other major Spider-Man villains, Tombstone is very underrated. Best depiction of Tombstone thus far is from the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. I've always thought Tombstone was too formidable of an adversary to just be used as a hired hand, he should aspire to be more of a crime boss who rivals Silvermane, Hammerhead, Mr. Negative, Kingpin, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, Tombstone is scheduled to make his presence felt in the upcoming Spider-Man relaunch. I hope they make the most out of it.
    Last edited by Nero; 02-08-2022 at 02:26 PM.

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89 #7 (December 1989),

Reference to his 1st appearance in "Web of Spider-Man #35"would eventually be changed to issue #36 in Tombstone's future Handbook listings.

Astonishing Member

First Tombstone storyline was a banger! Conway did a great job establishing Robbie’s dread. As a kid I thought this was by DeMatteis due to the Sal Buscema artwork, but also the story going pretty deep into Robbie’s psyche and trauma related to his past with Tombstone. Everyone talks about Conway’s ASM run in the 70s, but this Spec run was much more mature writing and gave us one of the greatest characters of this era, one that just appeared in the ‘MJ/Felicia Beyond’ issue, so is still going strong 30 odd years later (plus he’s Beetle’s Daddy).

Any Tombstone fans who didn't read David Walker and Sanford Greene's Power Man and Iron Fist series should really give it a look. Tombstone's inclusion was one of my favorite aspects of the book.

-Pav, who was mostly indifferent to him before that...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

the cartoon show seemed to elevate his profile. Somewhat ironic since the producers of Spectacular didn't have legal access to Kingpin, so Tombstone was used instead.

Hopefully he will be in the live action films someday. I don't know who. It would have to be someone who is roughly the same age as whoever plays Joe Robertson. Hopefully he wouldn't be cast too young (or too old?) since Tombstone has to be a peer of Robbie.

Mighty Member

Funnily I dressed as Tombstone for LA Comic Con last year… there were a few people who knew who I was but a lot of people didn’t haha. It’s funny as he was IN Into the Spiderverse, however his role was so minimal that people didn’t remember him in the movie. I’m surprised this character isn’t higher profiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Funnily I dressed as Tombstone for LA Comic Con last year… there were a few people who knew who I was but a lot of people didn’t haha. It’s funny as he was IN Into the Spiderverse, however his role was so minimal that people didn’t remember him in the movie. I’m surprised this character isn’t higher profiled.
    Waste of Marvin Krondon .

Scorpion probably had it worse though.

Here is the problem with Tombstone.

He is an albino...so prepare for a politically correct nightmare if he ever appears in live action television or movies, and Marvel is all about synergy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest