Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Daddy Longlegs is someone i would like to see return.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If this were true it would be such a missed opportunity for adding nuance to black characters in general. There's nothing wrong a bad guy being.....bad! Even if he's a black villain. Why are they not allowed to grand scaled villains.
    Read issues #8 and #9 of the Busiek and Perez run of the Avengers to see an awesome Moses Magnum.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    DC sure is doing it with Black Manta.
    Exactly! I have been reading that mini. His foil, Devil Ray struck me as the weakest link to the whole story. I think they could used someone that was more imposing. Manta was written pretty good in it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    We already have a thread asking for people's favourite black Marvel heroes, so I thought we could do the same for the bad guys! Who are your favourite black super-villains? Which ones do you think deserve more exposure or further development? I expect there may be some overlap between the heroes and villains lists, given some characters flip-flop between both sides...so are there any other black villains you'd like to see work towards redemption?

I noticed with the heroes thread that some people were having trouble remembering all the black heroes when put on the spot, so here's a bunch of options to get everyone started. This is by no means a complete list of all of Marvel's black villains -- its just a sample.

Moses Magnum
    Deadly Nightshade
    Nekra
    Black Talon
    Man-Ape
    Malice (Nakia)
    Killmonger
    Achebe
    Thunderball
    Impulse (from Psionex)
    Frenzy
    Tempo
    Knockout (of the Femme Fatales)
    Cottonmouth
    Centurius
    Beetle (Janice Lincoln)
    Tombstone
    Overdrive
    Rock Python
    Bushmaster
    Cardinal
    Midnight's Fire
    Flying Tiger
    Alex Wilder
    Ms. Quizzler
    Centurius, Moses Magnum and Midnight's Fire are painfully under used.

U forgot.... Midnight Sun (although I think he might be a little redeemable).

Cockroach Hamilton was my favourite. Nekra and Tombstone look whiter than Michael Jackson.

Astonishing Member

Malice (Nakia) was one of my favourite villains from Christopher Priest's BLACK PANTHER run. Ally-turned-enemy villains can be some of the most dangerous, so as an ex-Dora Milaje she had intimate knowledge of T'Challa's weapons, defenses, procedures, allies, etc. Its a shame that she was mostly wasted in limbo after Priest's run ended, and now they've killed her off--presumably to avoid confusion with her popular heroic MCU counterpart. A waste of a good villain.

Nightshade is great, and has developed a lot over the years. I enjoyed her working towards becoming a hero in OCCUPY AVENGERS and wouldn't mind seeing her continue on that path, but she's also great as a villain--and we don't have enough female villains (black or otherwise) who are super-geniuses!

Beetle (Janice Lincoln) has become a favourite of mine in recent years.

I never knew Centurius before his stint in the Thunderbolts, but I came to enjoy him there and would like to see more of him.

I prefer Frenzy as a reformed villain with the X-Men, but she deserves a mention her too. Same with Tempo.

This thread needs more visuals.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Despot.

Oh, wait, you said Marvel villains. Never mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Moses Magnum.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Malice (Nakia) was one of my favourite villains from Christopher Priest's BLACK PANTHER run. Ally-turned-enemy villains can be some of the most dangerous, so as an ex-Dora Milaje she had intimate knowledge of T'Challa's weapons, defenses, procedures, allies, etc. Its a shame that she was mostly wasted in limbo after Priest's run ended, and now they've killed her off--presumably to avoid confusion with her popular heroic MCU counterpart. A waste of a good villain.

Nightshade is great, and has developed a lot over the years. I enjoyed her working towards becoming a hero in OCCUPY AVENGERS and wouldn't mind seeing her continue on that path, but she's also great as a villain--and we don't have enough female villains (black or otherwise) who are super-geniuses!

Beetle (Janice Lincoln) has become a favourite of mine in recent years.

I never knew Centurius before his stint in the Thunderbolts, but I came to enjoy him there and would like to see more of him.

I prefer Frenzy as a reformed villain with the X-Men, but she deserves a mention her too. Same with Tempo.
    Solid roster there, especially Nightshade and the current Beetle, plus Frenzy and Tempo over on the X-side of things.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

One of Punisher's few returning enemies, Barracuda.

He was even used as the bad guy in the comic where Eminem met the Punisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    This thread needs more visuals.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/kraven-...el-1234968326/

EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off her historic win at the SAG Awards on Sunday night, Ariana DeBose has her sights set on her next major project. The Oscar-nominated West Side Story star is set to join Sony Pictures’ Marvel movie Kraven the Hunter, starring Aaron Taylor Johnson in the titular role. Although it’s unconfirmed, sources say DeBose would play Calypso in the movie.

J.C. Chandor is directing the pic with Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach producing. Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk penned the screenplay.

One of Sony Pictures’ universe of Marvel characters, Kraven is among Marvel’s most iconic and notorious antiheroes who has encountered Venom and Black Panther among many others as well as being one of Spider-Man’s best-known and most-formidable enemies. The film will be released theatrically January 13, 2023.
    Unless I'm really surprised by this project, I expect it will be a waste of talent to hire Debose to play Calypso. At worst, it's going to risk some bad 1950s racial "voodoo" tropes. I'd rather see her playing someone else entirely.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Moses Magnum.
    Moses Magnum doesn’t really have one distinct look. I’ve seen him looking different in different books
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

All-New Member Tagak the Leopard Lord's Avatar

Black Mariah
    Mister Fish (2 of them)
    Cheshire Cat

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8