Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Anybody else catch issue #4 today? Another solid issue here. Loved that the writer brought up that shared past between Sam and Crossbones. With all of this talk of Sam needing gimmicks, well, that played out in this issue. The Crossbones/Sam fight went differently then the way Steve would have handled it. In this case, Sam couldn't outpunch Crossbones. But Sam handled it his own way. Does he need more in the future? Some additions wouldn't hurt, but what Sam had already makes him unique. And somehow he makes it work.

Aside from that, the read was satisfying. Political and international intrigue, relevant topics concerning the rights and freedoms of others, bad guys conniving against the good guys, just a good Captain America issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think every normal human needs gimmicks. Batman has them. Punisher has them. Highly popular characters near and far have them.

The question, really, is what type of unique gimmicks should Sam have and can they be implemented in a way that enhance the Falcon/Captain America in a cool and credible (i.e., plus suspended disbelief) way?

I, frankly, thought the wings and a suit would have been sufficient. The shield seems superfluous, but I get it. He's carrying a mantle.

I also think that Redwing (the bird, not the drone) could have been augmented in a way as to provide a 3rd signature "gimmick" to aid the Falcon. Not hard to do. Much of America's symbology is based on myth and lore. So why not make Redwing a mythical raptor, one that every summer or so must battle and feast on the flesh of Set, or the Dragon of the Moon or Jörmungandr, or some other seemingly more powerful evil serpent-like entity? In this way Redwing fulfills its mysterious destiny, but also replenishes its own powers. The lowest form of those powers it already shares with the Falcon through their link, like being able to communicate with other avian species and "see" through their eyes. But in addition to that, imagine if Redwing augmented Sam's healing and recovery factor simply by being in his presence. Or increased his vitality and stamina.

Sure, bleeding edge technology is nice, and artists can have a ton of fun conceptualizing, but sometimes the best "gimmicks" are organic in nature.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-29-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think every normal human needs gimmicks. Batman has them. Punisher has them. Highly popular characters near and far have them.

The question, really, is what type of unique gimmicks should Sam have and can they be implemented in a way that enhance the Falcon/Captain America in a cool and credible (i.e., plus suspended disbelief) way?

I, frankly, thought the wings and a suit would have been sufficient. The shield seems superfluous, but I get it. He's carrying a mantle.

I also think that Redwing (the bird, not the drone) could have been augmented in a way as to provide a 3rd signature "gimmick" to aid the Falcon. Not hard to do. Much of America's symbology is based on myth and lore. So why not make Redwing a mythical raptor, one that every summer or so must battle and feast on the flesh of Set, or the Dragon of the Moon or Jörmungandr, or some other seemingly more powerful evil serpent-like entity? In this way Redwing fulfills its mysterious destiny, but also replenishes its own powers. The lowest form of those powers it already shares with the Falcon through their link, like being able to communicate with other avian species and "see" through their eyes. But in addition to that, imagine if Redwing augmented Sam's healing and recovery factor simply by being in his presence. Or increased his vitality and stamina.

Sure, bleeding edge technology is nice, and artists can have a ton of fun conceptualizing, but sometimes the best "gimmicks" are organic in nature.
    Sam's gimmick is his wings...and now a shield of unknown material.

I know Sam is tough and it's his book but there's no way he wins against BP in H2H. He has to use reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I know Sam is tough and it's his book but there's no way he wins against BP in H2H. He has to use reasoning.
    We can never forget that this is comics, where battles don't always go the way that they should go. BP is faster, stronger, a better fighter, a more brilliant tactician, a polymath and wise beyond his years. Yet with all that he has in his favor, I wouldn't be surprised if Sam somehow "wins." Batman beats Superman. Spider-Man defeats a Herald of Galactus. Silver Sable judo tosses Blue Marvel. Crazier, inexplicably nonsensical outcomes have happened.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    We can never forget that this is comics, where battles don't always go the way that they should go. BP is faster, stronger, a better fighter, a more brilliant tactician, a polymath and wise beyond his years. Yet with all that he has in his favor, I wouldn't be surprised if Sam somehow "wins." Batman beats Superman. Spider-Man defeats a Herald of Galactus. Silver Sable judo tosses Blue Marvel. Crazier, inexplicably nonsensical outcomes have happened.
    Also keep in mind that BP is NOT superhuman...but peak human. And there have been abnormally above normal normals who have held their own against peak human types.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 08-30-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Also keep in mind that BP is NOT superhuman...but peal human. And there have been abnormally above normal normals who have held their own against peak human types.
    It's been established that BP is superhuman in his recent solos.

Also keep in mind that BP is NOT superhuman...but peak human. And there have been abnormally above normal normals who have held their own against peak human types.
    I vaguely recall reading somewhere that T'Challa has the cumulative wisdom and strength of all of the previous BPs in addition to his own. If that's still the case, that places him in the superhuman category.

Also, does T'Challa still wear that one kinetic energy absorbing suit? If so, Sam's punches, kicks and other blows likely won't phase BP. Shield or no, it should be a tough out for Sam.

But that said, it's comics and writers pen whatever outcome they want, even if it doesn't make sense.

Mighty Member

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #8
    TOCHI ONYEBUCHI (W) • IG GUARA (A) • COVER BY R.B. SILVA

As Falcon’s condition worsens, Captain America comes face-to-face with the unintended consequences of his escalating conflict with the White Wolf. Nomad is willing to make the compromises necessary to take down the Black Panther’s errant brother, but can Sam Wilson say the same? And what is Sam’s old sparring partner Nightshade doing in Mohannda, anyway?
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 09-19-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    As Falcon’s condition worsens, Captain America comes face-to-face with the unintended consequences of his escalating conflict with the White Wolf. Nomad is willing to make the compromises necessary to take down the Black Panther’s errant brother, but can Sam Wilson say the same? And what is Sam’s old sparring partner Nightshade doing in Mohannda, anyway?
    So is Nightshade a bad guy again or...?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Is Nomad Rikki Barnes? Is there a new Nomad??

edit...per issue 7 synopsis...spoilers:
    Ian Rogers in back
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Chris0013; 09-19-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is Nightshade a bad guy again or...?
    From the synopsis, you can't say what direction Tochi will take Nightshade.

Is Nomad Rikki Barnes? Is there a new Nomad??

edit...per issue 7 synopsis...spoilers:
    Ian Rogers in back
    end of spoilers
    Between him and Nightshade Tochi seem to be making use of characters that we have not seen for a while.

Really enjoyed issue #5. For me, the big theme of the issue was declaration. Sam was very firm in his stance. T'Challa was firm in his. Each declared their truth to one another. Sam's words rang pretty strong. There are differences between him and T'Challa. Sam feels T'Challa and Wakanda could have done more. And I it's safe to say that Sam feels T'Challa and Wakanda are the beneficiaries of a Vibranium meteorite, a privilege that Sam (and others like him) didn't have. In this way, we see echoes of Killmonger from the Black Panther film. At the same time, we see T'Challa counter. Would Sam have done any differently then T'Challa and Wakanda? Fair points from both men.

For me, the series is slowly finding itself. Sam is slowly but surely finding his voice. A good read overall.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."