Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Miracleman Appreciation 2022

a new Miracleman Omnibus is being published in May.

MIRACLEMAN OMNIBUS HC DAVIS COVER
    Written by THE ORIGINAL WRITER with MICK ANGLO, CAT YRONWODE, GRANT MORRISON & PETER MILLIGAN
    Penciled by GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, JOHN TOTLEBEN, RICK VEITCH, CHUCK AUSTEN & JOHN RIDGWAY with DON LAWRENCE, STEVE DILLON, PAUL NEARY, RICK BRYANT, JOE QUESADA & MIKE ALLRED
    Covers by ALAN DAVIS, GARRY LEACH & KEVIN NOWLAN
    Middle-aged reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more. When an unexpected series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny, Miracleman is reborn. But Miracleman’s return threatens to unravel Moran’s life. Their connections to Dr. Emil Gargunza and Project Zarathustra bring with them disturbing revelations and trigger the return of a childhood friend who, beneath his sinister smile, has become something terrifying. Pushing the concept of the super hero to its logical conclusion, MIRACLEMAN is nothing short of a revelation. The series reinvented the super hero and 40 years later stands as one of the influential works in the comic book artform. This first-ever Omnibus edition collects MIRACLEMAN BOOKS ONE through THREE, complete with a massive trove of covers, original artwork and rare features. Collecting MIRACLEMAN (1985) #1, #3 and #6-16; MARVELMAN SPECIAL #1 and material from A1 (1989) #1 and WARRIOR #1-18 and #20-21 [as presented in Miracleman (2014) #1-16] — plus ALL-NEW MIRACLEMAN ANNUAL #1.
    760 PGS./RATED MATURE …$100.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-94729-3
    Trim Size: 7-1/4 x 10-7/8
    I see that Issues #2, 4, 5, of the initial Miracleman run are not included with the omnibus. I wonder why that is? Curious.

Hoping 2022 will be AWESOME for Michael Moran

is there any movement on a DTV animated film based on the character? Whether the modern version or the silver age version?

Now that you've reminded me, do we have any more info on what happened with the planned return of the Gaiman & Buckingham Miracleman? I had it on my pull list a few years ago and just before the supposed pub date, the whole thing vanished again. Have there been any murmurs since?

Actually, I just did some more searching and turned up an answer for meself.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...22-take-shape/

Mark Buckingham has completed four new issues of Miracleman, written by Neil Gaiman, taking them up to the conclusion of the Miracleman: The Silver Age storyline and beyond into Miracleman: The Dark Age. And that is why Marvel Comics are confident enough to begin republication of the series in 2022...
    Everyone else knew this already, right? I'm usually behind the curve on comics news.

EDIT: That article also claims there are discussions around a big-screen adaptation of the Alan Moore version, although it cites no sources for that. And also that the character will join the main Marvel continuity, probably with Donny Cates writing. I have mixed feelings about that - the relatively little Cates I've read is okay, but nothing to write home about. (Wait, what's that sound in the distance, roaring across the sky...? Is that Alan Moore's beard catching fire?)
    Last edited by Yohei72; 02-27-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post

Everyone else knew this already, right? I'm usually behind the curve on comics news.

EDIT: That article also claims there are discussions around a big-screen adaptation of the Alan Moore version, although it cites no sources for that. And also that the character will join the main Marvel continuity, probably with Donny Cates writing. I have mixed feelings about that - the relatively little Cates I've read is okay, but nothing to write home about. (Wait, what's that sound in the distance, roaring across the sky...? Is that Alan Moore's beard catching fire?)
    I think that this may work as a film as a standalone-- but maybe just use the silver age version. The really dark, 1980s version, might be better suited for a mini series, rated R. Closer to "the boys" but a serious version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think that this may work as a film as a standalone-- but maybe just use the silver age version. The really dark, 1980s version, might be better suited for a mini series, rated R. Closer to "the boys" but a serious version.
    Can't say I have much interest in a movie of the silver age version, but I agree, a mini series or even an ongoing series of the Moore/Gaiman incarnation would be very welcome.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Great to hear that they are finally moving forward with the new Miracleman stories. Wasn't sure which we'd see first: Shazam join the Justice League in the next live action movie, or Miracleman show up in the MCU.

Can't say I have much interest in a movie of the silver age version, but I agree, a mini series or even an ongoing series of the Moore/Gaiman incarnation would be very welcome.
    One reason why I suggested the silver age version, is that I'm wondering how much of the "rated R" stuff would end up being included; such as Kid Miracleman and the disturbing scene where he's being.... abused... in a lavatory... and that leads to quite a bit of major mayhem..

BANNED

a new Miracleman Omnibus is being published in May.

I see that Issues #2, 4, 5, of the initial Miracleman run are not included with the omnibus. I wonder why that is? Curious.
    Not clear. The guy at Nearly Mint says those missing issues are reprints, but #2 for example has more Moore than others, and that material is included, but disclosed as Warrior #5-8. Why? I guess it has to do with the coloring, which was done anew in 2014. Most material is credited as coming from the Warrior magazine, but then again, the pages from the '85 edition were also re-colored, so there's that. Page count is also really high for the issues covered, which means a lot of old material could be there (everything that made it's way into the 2014 series?).

It's really uncomfortable to buy blind, so I'm sticking to my TPBs. Also, it may be because of habit, but the old coloring appeals more to me. I look forward to the second Omnibus

It's been promised so many times that "seeing is believing" becomes a must in this case. Why did they go for a new reprint instead of picking it up where they left? Suspicious.

The Alan Moore version in the MCU? That'd make no sense. Realism or a shared fictional universe, those are choices, you can't have both.

One reason why I suggested the silver age version, is that I'm wondering how much of the "rated R" stuff would end up being included; such as Kid Miracleman and the disturbing scene where he's being.... abused... in a lavatory... and that leads to quite a bit of major mayhem..
    Fair point, though in the age of Joker and Logan, I think there's a little more room for R-rated superheroes, especially if it's an HBO series.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Spectacular Member

As long as they don't actually cross the character over into the mainstream 616. That would infuriate me. If they absolutely must use the character, build a new Exiles-style team around him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post
    As long as they don't actually cross the character over into the mainstream 616. That would infuriate me. If they absolutely must use the character, build a new Exiles-style team around him.
    Um, you might want check out the Timeless one shot from late last year.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post
    As long as they don't actually cross the character over into the mainstream 616.
    If nothing else, MM's costume and Captain Marvel's costume goes well together. Should make for an awesome "his and hers" cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images