Wild Cards: New Orleans, Seattle

AFC
    East: New England
    North: Pittsburgh
    South: Indianapolis
    West: Denver
    Wild Cards: New York, San Diego

BANNED

So my Pats traded Mallett. To the Texans. For a conditional pick that "could be as high as 6th round". Awesome. Glad we didn't trade him when we could have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder (before he sucked his way through the preseason). I'll sit down and figure out my picks for division/wildcard winners tomorrow when I have time, but it's way too hard to guess how good/bad teams will be this early (I had WBE Cardinals going 2-14 I think last year).

BANNED

As high as the sixth round...well its better then nothing

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    So my Pats traded Mallett. To the Texans. For a conditional pick that "could be as high as 6th round". Awesome. Glad we didn't trade him when we could have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder (before he sucked his way through the preseason). I'll sit down and figure out my picks for division/wildcard winners tomorrow when I have time, but it's way too hard to guess how good/bad teams will be this early (I had WBE Cardinals going 2-14 I think last year).
    Even I thought the Cardinals would be somewhere betweeen 6-10 and 8-8 last year. The 10-6 record they had surprised everyone.

And hell, how many people looked like geniuses last year after picking the Texans and the Falcosn to win double-digit games? A lot of last year didn't play out like people thought.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In good news for Alex Smith , the Chiefs signed him to a 4 year extension with $45 million guaranteed. The Chiefs however haven't helped Smith this season with OL issues and WR being a major problem. The team needs the young players they have in both positions to step up major or....hope they get a great early round pick next year.
    Not sure if that is good news for Chiefs fans. Alex has clearly established himself as the QB who will play decent when surrounded by a lot of talent, but isn't going to carry a lackluster roster when you need him to. The Chiefs had to essentially pay him though because they'd run the risk of getting someone a lot worse and looking for another franchise QB for who knows how long. $45 million guaranteed is a boatload though for an average QB.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Not sure if that is good news for Chiefs fans. Alex has clearly established himself as the QB who will play decent when surrounded by a lot of talent, but isn't going to carry a lackluster roster when you need him to. The Chiefs had to essentially pay him though because they'd run the risk of getting someone a lot worse and looking for another franchise QB for who knows how long. $45 million guaranteed is a boatload though for an average QB.
    The Chiefs are looking at what he did down that stretch offensively and that Indy playoff game with the same cast he had. Its just they didn't help Smith with that one area of OL.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

WBE Predictions (I'll look back around mid-season).

AFC

AFC EAST:
    1. New England(12-4): As long as Tom Brady and Belicheck are there, and the rest of the division is a mess, in a conference that's got a lot of bottom-feeders... you're going to see the Patriots in the playoffs. Their overall record, and ability to get a 1st round bye depends on if Gronk stays healthy, and if the loss of Logan Mankins proves neglible on their offensive line.
    2. Miami Dolphins (7-9): This team's offense doesn't look so hot, save for the promise shown by QB Ryan Tannehill (Who gets killed behind that line). I just don't believe in their weapons to go into the playoffs, nor do I like a defense that has a scheme where the players don't get to play to their strengths. At least they can't blame this medicore record on bullying being a distraction.
    3. New York Jets (6-10): They're starting Geno Smith, aged players at skill positions, and past a solid front 7, the vaunted Jets defense has a depleted secondary due to injuries and psychological meltdowns. Don't worry, though, Rex Ryan will talk tough through another season, no matter how good they actually are.
    4. Buffalo Bills (5-11): They are starting E.J. Manuel at QB, traded away their best receiver, have the rookie replacing him coming into Week 1 with busted ribs, and lost LB Kiko Alonso to the season. The franchise is also still up for sale, and no one wants to buy it and keep it in Buffalo. The best news this team has had lately is Jim Kelly beat cancer. Don't know if that's going to carry over onto the field, though.

AFC NORTH:

1. Cincinnatti Bengals (10-6): Andy Dalton got ridiculously paid. I don't believe he's elite, at all. I really think it's more about the fact that he has A.J. Green at WR. With other weapons like Giovanni Bernard, and rookie TE Tyler Eifert, I think the Bengals will rack up some points this year. The defense will need Vontaze Burfict to not lose his damned mind and continue to play smart football. But this division will come down to the wire this season, I'm thinking.
    2. Baltimore Ravens (10-6, Wild Card): I still think Joe Flacco is overpaid (much like all the QBs in this division). But I think after the "Super Bowl hangover" where they lost practially 1/3 of their starters to free agency and retirement... I think the Ravens will already bounce back. It's not like anyone else stepped up too much. Hopefully, everyone stays healthy, and the Ray Rice suspension (only 2 games, the lucky SOB) won't hinder them too much.
    3. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Big Ben is living up to his name. Every year he gets less mobile due to injuries, and a gut that's starting to be a trip hazard. His offensive line has gotten progressively worse since they won the Super Bowl. Their GM has finally started to let the veterans that won them Super Bowls leave via free agency or retirement, but they have a much less athletic Troy Palomalu in the secondary, and Brett Kesel (who has trouble staying healthy) up front. The did draft well, this year, so I don't think they'll be awful... but they're not world beaters.
    4. Cleveland Browns (5-11): They are the BROWNS, for God's sake. They have a QB distraction, regardless of how well Brian Hoyer plays, in the Ego the Living Planet they drafted named Johnny Manziel. And it doesn't matter who lines up behind center... because they lost WR Josh Gordon for the year to suspension, and have signed no noteworthy receivers in free agency, or drafted any, at all. If you love seeing coverage sacks, hope that your team plays the Browns. Their defense doesn't suck, and we'll see if Karlos Dansby continues to drink from the fountain of youth as their new MLB. Or if people are still dumb enough to throw at Joe Hayden.

AFC SOUTH:

1. Indianapolis Colts (13-3): They get 6 easy wins against the rest of their lightweight division and they get 4 more against the NFC East. Seriously, they're some lucky bastards... provided Houston doesn't have their defense ends decapitate QB Andrew Luck and throw all the Colts' best laid plans to have him carry them to the four winds.
    2. Houston Texans (5-11): As mentioned, they have J.J. Watt at one DE, and then they have JaDaveon Clowney at the other. Sweet jesus, any team that plays Houston had better keep in TEs and RBs to block, or someone's gonna die against them. On the other side of the ball, they still have RB Arian Foster, and WR Andre Johnson. However, they're f***ing starting the god-awful Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, so it's not like Andre's getting the ball. Larry Fitzgerald from 4 years ago must have transferred that voodoo curse onto him. It's so bad, the Texans have just traded for Ryan Mallett, already expecting to spend this season trying ANYONE they can find, before they find their franchise QB.
    3. Tennesse Titans (5-11): Your coach is now Ken Whisenhunt. The team is expecting him to develop the injury prone Jake Locker into a franchise QB. HAHAHAHA. God, you're f***ed, Titans. Wait until mid-season when he starts running out your backup, and then even tries Zack Mettenberger in the last few weeks when it's clear you're out of the playoffs. The only thing you've got going for you is your O-Line and D-Line are loaded with high draft picks. We'll see if they pan out, and hide some obvious weaknesses.
    4. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12): Blake Bortles is your potential savior, and honestly, could prove to be the 2nd best QB in this sorry division (provided JJ Watt and Clowney don't make him look like he walked into a wood chipper). You still have Denard Robinson as your "OW", and let's hope someone figures out how to actually use him. There's no MJD to carry the offense, and Justin Blackmon may have also hemped himself out of the NFL. Your defense is forgettable, at best.

AFC WEST:

1. Denver Broncos (13-3): Another top-heavy AFC division winner. Ownership went "all-in" this off-season, bringing in Aqib Talib (still, that secondary has Rahim Moore at safety, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves) and Emmanuel Sanders. Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning, and provided Wes Welker doesn't have to retire from concussions by season's end, they are a favorite to win the AFC in most people's minds. At the very least, this division.
    2. Kansas City Chiefs (8-8, Wild Card): Last year, they really lucked out with a schedule that featured almost no teams that made the playoffs. When they did play teams with winning records, they didn't look quite so badass. I still think Jamaal Charles is quite possibly a Top 3 RB right now... and Alex Smith is a reliable signal caller, but not someone who makes teams quake in their boots. They're all around, though, a solid squad.
    3. San Diego Chargers (8-8): It's a damn good thing that Phillip Rivers is talented, because he is seriously unlikable. Keenan Allen is no longer going to spend the first half of a season flying under anyone's radar, and I can't help but wonder who the hell will actually carry the ball for the Bolts. Their defense is fast, but undersized. That's not good in a division with the Broncos' O-Line, and Kansas City coming at them. Thinking middle of the pack, again.
    4. Oakland Raiders (2-14): Believe it or not, I have them only getting the #2 pick in the draft with a 2-14 record this year. I mean, they have pieced together a squad of names you'll recognize... but it's guys getting one last paycheck. MJD, James Jones, Carlos Rogers, Justin Tuck I'm looking at you. I think LaMarr Woodley, out of any of them, has any gas left in the tank. But most importantly... THEY'RE STARTING MATT SCHAUB. Seriously, it's going to be hard for their defense to be able to win them any ball games when the guy under center spots the other team a TD lead every game he plays. Plus, they have to play the whole NFC West... which thanks to a key injury, might be the one thing keeping them from getting the top draft pick.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.

NFC

NFC EAST:
    1. Philadelphia Eagles (11-5): Chip Kelly picked the perfect time to start coaching in this division. The Giants were aging. The Cowboys had peaked, and then wasted away on the vine with Jerrah running the show. Only the Redskins looked like a threat, until Mike Shanahan broke all of Chainsaw Dan's best toys in one season, because that's what he does. Now, Chip Kelly looks like the smartest guy in the room, because the other guys are morons. That being said... he's still got QB Nick Foles looking like a franchise QB, and even while cutting DeSean Jackson for... dubious reasons... they have LeSean McCoy, Brent Celek, and Zack Ertz with Jeremy Maclin out there. They're pretty loaded on that side of the ball. I like their LB corps and pass rush... but we'll see how they manage in the secondary.
    2. Washington R******s (8-8): I don't think RGIII can really be broken after one year. I'm calling a sophmore slump, since he came back less than 100%, and then played like it, practically wasting all of 2013. Now they've added a true #1 receiver in DeSean Jackson, as well. If their defense can actually get off the field, they might challenge the Eagles... but I really do like how the Eagles looked last year.
    3. New York Giants (6-10): This one's another hard call for me to make. The Giants look older, and the only positions where players are in their prime is some of the WRs. Their RB situation is troubling. They still haven't replaced most of the pass rushers they had when they last won the Super Bowl... and Eli Manning led the NFL in INTs last year with no one to block for him up front. People always say, "This is the year they fire Tom Coughlin," and then, watch, Eli gets his s*** together and they go 10-6. But no, this time, I think it's actually the end, for realsies.
    4. Dallas Cowboys (5-11): Jerry Jones is insane (can't say that enough). Tony Romo is getting older, and Jason Witten's held together with duct tape and spit, at this point. Dez Bryant will probably have a career year, because his rookie contract is coming due. But I know a Cowboys fan who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid... and he's as pessimistic about their defense as I've seen him since I knew him. And when an actually Cowboys fan doesn't think the offense can stay healthy, or the defense can actual stop anyone... that doesn't bode well. (At least your jumbo-tron is huge.)

NFC NORTH:

1. Chicago Bears (11-5): They have talent all over the offensive side of the ball, even though nobody likes Jay Cutler. He's a lot easier to like when in spite of the god-awful wind he'll see at Soldier Field, he throws for 4,000 plus yards because he's got Jeffrey, Marshall, and Forte as weapons out there. The Bears' defense is reasonably solid (provided Jared Allen doesn't just play for sacks every down, like I've seen him do some years in Minnesota)... the only reason I want to say they won't win the division is... they always seem to find a way to choke it away to Green Bay.
    2. Green Bay Packers (10-6, Wild Card): QB Aaron Rodgers. That's really it. Give him another MVP. Because no matter who lines up at receiver, he friggin' makes them look like Pro Bowlers. I don't trust the Packers enough to call them the favorites in the NFC North... because I don't trust their defense. Even the year it won the Super Bowl, it gave up a ton of yards WITH B.J. Raji in the middle, instead just having Charles Woodson hide how statistically mediocre to bad they were by forcing turnovers like a fiend. This year... I think Sam Shields will be lonely on one side of the ball... but I don't trust A.J. Hawk and Clay Matthews to get 3rd down stops when it counts.
    3. Detroit Lions (7-9): Suh plays like a man possessed. I mean that. Seriously, get a young priest, and an old priest, and held that young man before he f***ing kills someone. The Lions, though, are vulnerable in the secondary, when they have to play against Rodgers an Cutler? No bueno. The offense does have a ton of weapons for Matthew Stafford, blowing everyone's mind by drafting a TE they probably didn't need in the first round. Again, though... it's another team that I don't trust to stop anyone. The Lions are going to have pinball game numbers, but still lose.
    4. Minnesota Vikings (6-10): You're starting the season with Matt Cassell. That... does not show much promise to me. I mean, why throw it, when you have Adrian Peterson (Vikings fans must be praying Father Time never catches up to him, as much as other defenders might). Teddy Bridgewater had a hell of a preseason, and for whatever reason (maybe that he's as slight as a plank of wood) will remain the backup. Patterson is f'n scary, as a WR... but we're looking at another "black & blue" division member with big questions on the defensive side of the football. Anthony Barr should help on that front at LB, and with Chad Greenway and Jaspar Brinkley (back from AZ)... well, they'll be better than they were in 2013. Which isn't saying much.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.

NFC SOUTH:

1. New Orleans Saints (13-3): They're going to try and challenge Seattle for home field advantage again. People forgot about them in 2013, because they were average without Sean Payton in 2012 (due to the Bountygate suspension). QB Drew Brees is another one of those guys who defies logic at the position, and no matter who he's throwing to, manages to rack up not just 4,000, but 5,000 yard seasons. It's ridiculous. Jimmy Graham is unhappy about how much he's getting paid, but didn't hold out. And while their defense has Cameron Jordan, Kenny Vaccarro, Broderick Bunkley, and 7 guys you might not trust... they're still coached by Rob Ryan (the Ryan brother who looks more likely to wake up face down on the beach with a hangover). Schematically, they're not complete pushovers, at least.
    2. Carolina Panthers (9-7): Is it just me, or does this team want to just ask the question, "How good is CAM NEWTON, REALLY?" They let Steve Smith go. They let Ted Ginn go. They overpay both their RBs. Their defense is led by Luke Kuechley, who will get like 1,000 tackles this season (okay, I'm exaggerating). The front 7 in Carolina is outstanding, but their top corner is Antoine Cason? Didn't he struggle to fend off Jarrod Powers as Arizona's #2 CB last year? Yeah, he did. So good luck stopping Drew Brees and Matt Ryan from throwing the ball over over you all day, guys... you're a playoff bubble team again, at best, given what's changed from last year to this one.
    3. Atlanta Falcons (7-9): Your coach is still incapable of handling short yardage situations. For a guy named "Matty Ice", your QB sure does fail in the clutch. You have Julio Jones and Roddy White for him to throw to, so don't worry, he'll put up some sickhouse numbers again. You will not be able to get a running game going with an EVEN OLDER Stephen Jackson who was a suspect pickup last year at the position, at the dangerous 30 year old threshold. And the Falcons' defense is still seemingly non-existent. Arena Bowl scores, and a second year in a row where they miss the playoffs (but don't totally suck to stupendous levels, at least).
    4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11): I keep seeing people going, "SLEEPER TEAM!" on the Buccaneers. Yes, you did bring in Lovie Smith, who has finally found a place that will appreciate him, simply because he's got the "tough act to follow" named Greg Schiano, who managed to give away a 2 TD lead in a game last year against Arizona by having rookie QB Mike Glennon throw to Patrick Peterson's side for 2 INTs in the second half, rather than just call plays that would, y'know, chew up some clock... while still ordering his players to ignore all human decency and dive at the knees of opponents in victory formation. Now there are "experts" trying to convince me that Lovie's going to turn water to wine, and with journeyman Josh McCown at QB, with only Vincent Jackson to throw to and Doug Martin in the backfield... these guys are going to get in the playoffs? Are you high? It's the Buccaneers. They are traditionally so terrible that they would need over 8 straight 16-0 seasons just to get back to a .500 record as a franchise. Seriously, unless Lovie Smith has Jesus Christ as an assistant coach on his staff, I don't see that miracle happening.

NFC WEST:

1. Seattle Seahawks (13-3): They still are loaded. Pete Carroll still cheats (seriously, get off of Belicheck's nuts already, Pete's had more players busted for PEDs, and more illegal practices fines than any two other coaches the past several years). Russell Wilson plays practical error free football. Marshawn Lynch held out, but his Madden rating for breaking tackles is somehow registered at 126, on a scale of 1 to 99. The Legion of Boom is back (I won't talk about that one guy who Erin Andrews interviewed, at his request) and their pass rush is sickhouse. The only position they aren't utterly dominant is Percy Harvin at WR, and that's only because Harvin is injury prone. They're the favorite to repeat, in spite of refs taking a much closer look at defensive holding penalties, for a reason.
    2. Arizona Cardinals (10-6, Wild Card): They had 10 wins and missed the playoffs last year... this year, I think it's enough to get 'em in. Yes, their defense lost Karlos Dansby to free agency, Darnell Dockett to season ending injury, and Daryl Washington to suspension. That's not exactly got me thinking they'll have the #1 rush defense again this year (seriously, how do you have the #1 rush defense when you have 2 games a year against Marshawn Lynch, and 2 against Frank Gore? That's even more impressive, when you think about it). However, they amped up the secondary, bringing in Antonio Cromartie as a free agent, and drafting Deone Buccannon at safety. This team needs to learn how to defend someone's TE, to improve upon. And hopefully, Todd Bowles' defensive schemes continue to make sacks appear at key times, in spite of a limited pass rush ability of the guys he's got. On the other side of the ball... they upgraded at WR, by bringing in Ted Ginn to be the #3, and drafting John Brown to be #4. Plus, John Carlson is in at TE, and looks like he's got his groove back. As long as Carson Palmer doesn't make the sort of mistakes that make you wish Kimo von Oelhoffen had finished the job in 2005, they should get a Wild Card in football's toughest division.
    3. San Francisco 49ers (9-7): Their defense has been decimated by a combination of injury, suspension, and free agency departures. They added Stevie Johnson on offense, but Colin Kaepernick still doesn't look right as a pocket passer. His QB rating is rather average, and if he didn't have Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Anquan Boldin making him look so good, I don't know that he'd start. That being said, when he's allowed to use his legs, he's friggin' great. With Jim Harbaugh and 49ers management feuding all offseason, I think this is the year they take another step back, and end up missing the playoffs. The front office will use it as an excuse to trade, or fire Harbaugh.
    4. St. Louis Rams (1-15): One of the best front 7s in football. Undoubtedly. But they lost a starting corner for some time to injury and... oh yeah, some guy named Sam Bradford for the season, too. Bradford is one of the highest paid players in the NFL, because of a ridiculous rookie deal, in spite of the fact he's made of tissue paper. He's a starter 50% of the time. And now, the Rams' starter is Shaun Hill. That's who they have to get the ball to Tavon Austin, their only offensive weapon of note. Teams are going to throw the ball all day against their secondary, and their offense is going to be bad enough that their punter will be team MVP, before their owner inevitably decides to move them back to Los Angeles when he uses their super-high draft pick to try and grab the next franchise savior. Seriously, the #1 pick in the draft will come down to them, and Oakland playing in Week 13, I'm betting. They'll go into that game with 4 wins between the two teams, tops.

Then again, last year I thought Jacksonville would get the #1 pick, only to watch teams I thought would compete for playoff spots like Atlanta, Houston, and the Redskins (gave it to the Rams) be the league's worst. So we'll see if I can pick awful teams or not.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-01-2014 at 12:20 PM.

AFC
    East: New England, Miami, New York, Buffalo
    North: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Cleveland
    South: Indianapolis, Tennessee, Houston, Jacksonville
    West: Denver, San Diego, Kansas City, Oakland

NFC
    East: Philadelphia, New York, Washington, Dallas
    North: Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota
    South: New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay
    West: Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona, St. Louis

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    That's a heck of a lot of money to give a QB to just play decent or be the dreaded "game manager". Makes me wonder what soon to be free agent Nick Foles will ask for if he puts up big numbers again for my Eagles this season.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    NFC

NFC EAST:
    4. Dallas Cowboys (5-11): Jerry Jones is insane (can't say that enough). Tony Romo is getting older, and Jason Witten's held together with duct tape and spit, at this point. Dez Bryant will probably have a career year, because his rookie contract is coming due. But I know a Cowboys fan who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid... and he's as pessimistic about their defense as I've seen him since I knew him. And when an actually Cowboys fan doesn't think the offense can stay healthy, or the defense can actually stop anyone... that doesn't bode well. (At least your jumbo-tron is huge.)
    You are so cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You are so cruel.
    It will probably come back to haunt me when Arizona has to travel to Dallas. The Cardinals upset the Cowboys when you don't expect them to, and the rare times they should go there and win, they've managed to choke against guys like Clint Stoerner, Quincy Carter, and an aged Drew Bledsoe (Series edge, all-time, goes 55-30-1, in favor of Dallas. Mostly because of, y'know, the 1990s).

Justice League Reserve Manchuto's Avatar

Even though I'm not a Saints fan I think they are going to make some noise and get in as a wildcard and go deep in the playoffs.
    If the saints defense can get a little better, lookout.
    The Heroic Manchuto Guardian Of The Purple Moon and Protector of Metropolis and Gotham City on DC Universe Online

Hoping my Steelers find some of the old magic, augmented by new blood.