Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    One of the Key Masterminds behind Avengers Dissembles, No More Mutunts, Wanda Smeared and in purgatory for a near decade and we don’t want to many mutants?!

Yea, I say Very Good Riddance, don’t let the door hit you out.
    Yeah this definitely left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. I still blame Bendis the mighty overrated one for most of this damage. Good riddance to both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Quesada's era was the era that got me into comics and for that I'm thankful.

Morrison's X-Men, Whedon's X-Men, Slott's Spidey, and Bendis' New Avengers all couldn't have happened without him.

Quesada took big swings with the direction of a lot of books and some were strait homers and some were misses, but I thank him for his homers.
    I feel like JMS on Spidey was more of a Quesada thing than Slott, although I guess Quesada's hail mary pass that marred JMS' run paved the way for Slott.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He got Priest to do Black Panther and for that I'm thankful.
    Yes!

Quesada's era was the era that got me into comics and for that I'm thankful.

Morrison's X-Men, Whedon's X-Men, Slott's Spidey, and Bendis' New Avengers all couldn't have happened without him.

Quesada took big swings with the direction of a lot of books and some were strait homers and some were misses, but I thank him for his homers.

Yes!

Imo, JQ was the best since Shooter.

Yay!!!!!!! :d

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Very mixed feelings about Quesada.

No particular opinion about his leaving now as his current role wasn't anything I had any visibility on.

Love him as a creator, I fondly remember his Iron Man run as a writer, and as an artist I've been a fan since his X-Factor days - I hope to see some new comics from him soon.

Loved him as an editor, his Marvel Knights comics were always at the top of my reading pile when they first came out.

Very mixed feelings about Joe as EIC. We had some amazing runs under him, and he arguably brought an excitement to Marvel, name creators and newcomers who would go on to become superstars, and just generally he spearheaded some very good comics. But his and Jemas' era was also the era of decompressed storytelling, loss of continuity, history, endless relaunches, and so many negatives that they overshadow the positives for me.

I find one of his greatest (and most overlooked) contributions, in collaboration with Jemas & friends, to be the creation of a regular trade paperback and hardback program the likes of which didn't really exist under previous EIC's. We take it for granted nowadays but comics weren't really regularly collected until Joe came in, and after Marvel started doing it all the other publishers quickly followed suit. So bravo for that.
    I never knew that!

That's amazing that he and others were able to champion collected editions, because that was the #1 way I consumed comics. I used to love going to Barnes & Nobles to see what new TPB's they had in stock for me to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like JMS on Spidey was more of a Quesada thing than Slott, although I guess Quesada's hail mary pass that marred JMS' run paved the way for Slott.
    I personally didn't mind OMD/BND because I'm not that invested in continuity and the controversy really dragged everything down, but Quesada stuck to his guns and Slott was able to pen one of the greatest (and longest) Spidey runs ever.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    If Quesada is completely gone from Marvel, does that mean DC would be more willing to do crossovers again?

Also, make Ash available again in trade or Comixology, never read it before but always liked the character's design
    Not likely, Disney and WB aren’t exactly prone to working together.

I personally didn't mind OMD/BND because I'm not that invested in continuity and the controversy really dragged everything down, but Quesada stuck to his guns and Slott was able to pen one of the greatest (and longest) Spidey runs ever.
    If you're looking for the best character writing for Peter Parker and his family then you can't go wrong with JMS.

Reading that Joe Quesada is leaving Marvel leaves me with many impressions. For me, Quesada was a huge part of my comic book life as an adult. For the past 24 or so years, he's been a part of Marvel and he really ushered in this modern, grown up sensibility to Marvel Comics. I can still remember him and Jimmy Palmiotti spearheading changes to characters through the Marvel Knights line and this "Marvel Knightification" carried over to the mainstream titles. Indeed, just off the top of my head, Marvel Knights, Ultimate Marvel, Sentry, JMS Spider-Man, Morrison X-Men, Avengers Dissembled, New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men, House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, OMD/BND, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, and so many other stories, character changes, creators, and new directions came under that EiC. I still remember his weekly Cup O'Joe interviews on CBR where he'd interact with fans and talk about upcoming this and that.

So were all of these things good? Depends on who you ask. Like some posters here, I was pissed during Quesada's reign. Or sometimes bored and lacking interest. However, at other times I was intrigued and entertained and found some of those stories really sophisticated. I will say that Quesada was very prophetic. In one of the first interviews for Wizard magazine, back in 2001, the article mentioned how Joe Quesada saw Marvel characters hawking products on billboards. I believe there was something about him seeing characters in movies and TV shows. I always think back to that article whenever I see the latest Marvel Studios movie breaking a new box office record. Or how the Avengers have become mainstay fixtures in pop culture. (Seriously, my mind is blown at how famous the Avengers have become in the last 20 years due in no small part to Quesada).

What's gotten me the most though? Realizing that it's been over 20 years since Quesada has been at Marvel. I remember all of these things, so vividly too. These stories and changes, they were fresh, new, bold, reinvigorating, infuriating, all of that stuff.

And now all of that stuff has passed.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts on the subject.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Reading that Joe Quesada is leaving Marvel leaves me with many impressions. For me, Quesada was a huge part of my comic book life as an adult. For the past 24 or so years, he's been a part of Marvel and he really ushered in this modern, grown up sensibility to Marvel Comics. I can still remember him and Jimmy Palmiotti spearheading changes to characters through the Marvel Knights line and this "Marvel Knightification" carried over to the mainstream titles. Indeed, just off the top of my head, Marvel Knights, Ultimate Marvel, Sentry, JMS Spider-Man, Morrison X-Men, Avengers Dissembled, New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men, House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, OMD/BND, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, and so many other stories, character changes, creators, and new directions came under that EiC. I still remember his weekly Cup O'Joe interviews on CBR where he'd interact with fans and talk about upcoming this and that.

So were all of these things good? Depends on who you ask. Like some posters here, I was pissed during Quesada's reign. Or sometimes bored and lacking interest. However, at other times I was intrigued and entertained and found some of those stories really sophisticated. I will say that Quesada was very prophetic. In one of the first interviews for Wizard magazine, back in 2001, the article mentioned how Joe Quesada saw Marvel characters hawking products on billboards. I believe there was something about him seeing characters in movies and TV shows. I always think back to that article whenever I see the latest Marvel Studios movie breaking a new box office record. Or how the Avengers have become mainstay fixtures in pop culture. (Seriously, my mind is blown at how famous the Avengers have become in the last 20 years due in no small part to Quesada).

What's gotten me the most though? Realizing that it's been over 20 years since Quesada has been at Marvel. I remember all of these things, so vividly too. These stories and changes, they were fresh, new, bold, reinvigorating, infuriating, all of that stuff.

And now all of that stuff has passed.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts on the subject.
    I can agree with a lot of things you posted. Overall I would say that Queseda had a pretty high success rate.

But like many have said, there were some terrible decisions with a few characters that people haven't gotten over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    One of the Key Masterminds behind Avengers Dissembles, No More Mutunts, Wanda Smeared and in purgatory for a near decade and we don’t want to many mutants?!

Yea, I say Very Good Riddance, don’t let the door hit you out.

His days were numbered after Disney bought Fox and the job of Chief Creative Officer was given to Feige. Since then you can see the difference in the comics.

Astonishing Member

Joe Q is the only comic book artist to go on to become EiC, Chief Creative Officer, and Senor Vice President. Joe should have left after Disney took over Marvel.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    His days were numbered after Disney bought Fox and the job of Chief Creative Officer was given to Feige. Since then you can see the difference in the comics.
    Good to hear it started their I hope.

While it is not perfect but nothing is, I have greatly prefered Feige and Disney over his helm with choices he made as I have stated.

As I have read he did good by many fans I am glad he made many happy in those areas, but his wrongs are too great IMO for me to look past or give him an out on.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'll echo what a few others have stated in that the good outweighed the bad and there were some true gems that came under his leadership, although I'm guessing he's been pretty much sidelined for much of the past 3 years.

Not everything he did was perfect or well-received by any means but I liked his forward thinking initiatives and risk taking.

BANNED

Slott was able to pen one of the greatest Spidey runs ever.
    Dan Slott is not spelt JMS or even "Nick Spencer"

And Quesada never really 'stuck' to getting rid of the marriage. Marvel kept publishing stories about it all throughout the 2010s in alternate universes, hell even Taylor's recent mini Dark Ages had them married with a kid.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 06-01-2022 at 03:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I had forgotten he still had a position at Marvel. I don't think he did much since the merger with Disney.
    I know he keep kissing their buts and Disney replies with his kindness by forcing him out. I know from some insiders that he was forced out by making him less powerful in the Company. This had to do with Japanese manga selling better than Marvel.