Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

The first issue of Savage Sword of Conan will drop Feb. 24th. Black and white, magazine sized. Among other things, it will feature a Solomon Kane story written and drawn by Pat Zircher.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Very cool! By the way, what are your favs of previous Conan runs? I've enjoyed the Busiek Dark Horse run the most, it really got me into Conan comics. And some of the Thomas Marvel stuff looks cool, and the other Dark Horse stuff. The Cimmerian from Ablaze also looks interesting. And what's your favorite take on Queen of the Black Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Very cool! By the way, what are your favs of previous Conan runs? I've enjoyed the Busiek Dark Horse run the most, it really got me into Conan comics. And some of the Thomas Marvel stuff looks cool, and the other Dark Horse stuff. The Cimmerian from Ablaze also looks interesting. And what's your favorite take on Queen of the Black Coast?
    The Busiek/Nord stuff is awesome.

I also like the Truman/Giorello King Conan stuff from Dark Horse.

The Roy Thomas/Barry Windsor Smith adaptation of Red Nails is also a favorite.

The Thomas/BWS storyline that introduced Red Sonja (late teens/early 20s of the Marvel CTB run).

Thomas/BWS adaptation of Tower of the Elephant.

The Thomas/Buscema run in issues in the 70s and 80s was my intro to Conan as a kid and remains a nostalgic favorite.

Esad Ribic's silent one shot from Marvel is phenomenal

The Jim Zub/Pat Zircher arc on Savage Sword was (along with the above 1-shot) was the best of the second Marvel stint

The Busiek/Kelly Jones/Len Wein Book of Thoth mini is also a great read

I also have a curiosity about the 1950s-60s Conan comic out of Mexico called La Reina de la Costa Negra, but I've never been able to track down a copy...

blonde Conan for the win!

It's based on Queen of the Black Coast. My favorite take is Howard's original story. I've never been completely satisfied with a comic adaptation of it. There's such a time gap in the story and every adaptation tries to fill it in, and none of those attempts have stories that feel like what Howard would have written.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 01-10-2024 at 04:03 PM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Awesome, thanks! I've been meaning to read some of Howard's stuff too. I was thinking I'd try Servants of Bit Yakin (aka Jewels) since it's a shorter one, I have that Conquering Sword of Conan collection with that and Red Nails etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I've been meaning to read some of Howard's stuff too. I was thinking I'd try Servants of Bit Yakin (aka Jewels) since it's a shorter one, I have that Conquering Sword of Conan collection with that and Red Nails etc.
    I'm a huge Howard fan and I like the prose even more than the comics. But if you are looking for other good Howard stories in comics I highly recommend Supernatural Thrillers #3 (with Gil Kane art)

and the Kull stories with art by Mike Ploog or the Severin's.

The adaptation of Almuric by Tim Conrad (originally in Epic Illustated, later collected by Dark Horse) and of the Bran Mak Morn story Worms of the Earth are also worth chcking out.

-M

Right on, cool to hear.

Conan the Barbarian #7 out today. Go get yourself some of the best Conan in years.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Conan the Barbarian #7 out today. Go get yourself some of the best Conan in years.

-M
    This run really is off to a great start with the writing and art. It gives me the vibes of the early SSOC run.