Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

I can see what you mean, and for sure that's how it was in the pulps. Though they had no idea what it'd become. For me that's what was creativity interesting about what the Dark Horse run was trying, just an extra something to it. I like episodic tales, but it's that sense of wonder combined with the kind of illusion of authenticity that makes me feel like I'm seeing a life story unfold. I guess since between the different writers and publishers, Conan feels so loose and at times inconsequential anyway, even just that illusary air of something more makes me more engaged with it. But not that everything needs to be a soap opera or anything.

And cool to hear it's all original stories at the moment.

BANNED

I hope we get some more tie-ins to other Howard works. We know how Bran and Kull connect to Conan. Now I want to see how El Borak and Solomon Kane connect more to to Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    I hope we get some more tie-ins to other Howard works. We know how Bran and Kull connect to Conan. Now I want to see how El Borak and Solomon Kane connect more to to Conan.
    I'd love to see more stories of Howard's other characters. I don't need (or even want) to see them connect to Conan. I don't care about a shared Howard universe, I just want good stories in comic form. If they throw in things here and there (like the Black Monolith, or the ring of Toth-Amon) as others have done in prose, I'm fine with that, it's nice to have an Easter egg once in a while, but as a whole I find trying to create a shared universe takes the emphasis of telling good stories and puts it on world-building instead, and frankly, world-building itself in boring and unnecessary unless it is in the service of good stories. What happens to the characters is what is important and will keep readers satisficed, not what happens to the sandbox they play in. If they happen to build up the sandbox as they tell great stories, awesome, but that focus needs to stay on the stories, too often it detracts rather than adds to the storytelling.

If they want to create a "series bible" that creators can reference, all for it, if the stories being printed are intended to build that series bible rather than to tell great stories-I have no interest in paying for or reading that. That series bible should be what's behind the scenes of the product, not the product itself (unless you are creating a ttrpg product for a GM, but that's not comics or storytelling in general).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Thoughts on the first couple of issues of the new Conan series?
    My LCS sold out before they could grab #1 for me, but I just picked up issue #2 and ordered the first issue online, but...HOLY SHIT!
    I absolutely love the art. Roberto De La Torre has channeled John Buscema to a tee.
    This has the look and feel of the Conan I grew up reading.
    I hope it continues, because I was very disappointed in his return at Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Damn, that looks good.

And I forgot to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Damn, that looks good.

And I forgot to order it.
    3rd printing of #1 comes out the same week as #3. You might be able to find a #2 in shops, but a second printing is in the works I believe. And the trades for the first arc have just been solicited, so there's still opportunities to get it if you are interested.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

Don't worry, I will find my copies. I love to hunt ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    …HOLY SHIT!
    I absolutely love the art. Roberto De La Torre has channeled John Buscema to a tee.
    This has the look and feel of the Conan I grew up reading.
    ^^^My thoughts exactly. I was blown away.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Even the lettering looks like it was taken from John Costanza's 1970's style.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

This book is so friggin good right now. I plan on checking out Savage Sword when it comes out but can it be better than this I wonder? It is seriously cranking on all cylinders. I continue to be blown away by the art and layouts in each issue. The seance scene with the skull mask guy in issue #3 was seriously sick. Absolutely love this book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Conan 4.jpg

#4 dropped today and it was amazing. Loved the wrap up to the first arc and loved the coloring technique in the flashback sequences that evoked the look & feel of a newsprint comic. Made it feel like the flashback sequences were being pulled form an existing Bronze Age Conan/Kull comic, but they were brand new pieces.

Looking forward to what the second arc brings and the return of Roberto de la Torre for the 3rd arc.

-M

I'm late to this series but it looks phenomenal! I have issues 3-4 and looking to get reprints of 1 and 2. Definitely has a SSoC feel to it for me.

how long does Titan own the license?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't know if that info has been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Jim Zub has said his run is at least 2 years, but titan doesn't have the license, they are the UK and North American publishing partner of Heroic Signature, the owner of all the REH properties. Heroic Signature is responsible for creating the comics, they're just publishing through Titan in the US and UK currently. They are published elsewhere through other publishers, and in places like France, other people are doing Conan comics outside of Titan and Heroic Signature (the stuff Ablaze is publishing in translated form as the Cimmerian since the original stories are is public domain there).

-M