Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amazon Abilities, Skills, Technology and Weapons

This is a thread to propose your ideas for how you'd depict the Amazons' abilities, skills, weapons and technology.

Which version? If this is for the DC Amazons, shouldn't this be moved to the Wonder Woman forums?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Which version? If this is for the DC Amazons, shouldn't this be moved to the Wonder Woman forums?
    Yeah, I opened this here by accident. I sent a message to a mod to move it to the Wonder Woman forum.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

I was ready to see an Amazon vs FedEx vs UPS vs USPS Battle Royal (Voltron Style)
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    I was ready to see an Amazon vs FedEx vs UPS vs USPS Battle Royal (Voltron Style)
    This board gets weird from time to time.

And yet, totally understandable, toss Canada Post on there! And as much as I hate to say it, Amazon probably wins via speedblitz.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I dunno, there's a reason it's called "Going Postal". USPS can get crazy, and they can be VERY heavily armed.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacular Member

Amazon training grants powers based on the inner self,learned skills and interaction with the universe

Amazons are legendary supernatural hunters

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I feel like Themyscira should be like Wakanda. Ancient civilization to the outside world, advanced technological utopia on the inside. The Purple Ray isn't magic, it's super science. Think something like WW Earth One. They could conquer the world easily if they wanted to. The Amazons are only willing to share their technology with the outside world if it agrees to their loving submission.
    Assassinate Putin!

My take on the Amazons is they live in a paradise as bequeathed to them by the gods, but the haven’t stayed stagnant over the millennia they’ve inhabited the island. They’re more advanced in multiple ways than Patriarch’s World, because of their society. Their technology and culture should have its own principles and style that have grown over time; communications, architecture, transportation, medicine, farming, psychology, fashion, art, science, engineering, etc. Those ideas are something I enjoyed in Morrison’s three books and Rucka’s most recent run.

They’re still a martial, athletic people, and I’d like to see some unique style of Amazon training and fighting style developed. An offensive and defensive style of martial arts that focuses on subduing and incapacitating opponents rather than killing them.

I also see the Amazons as above peak human physical abilities than baseline humans, based on their rebirth by the gods in the Well of Souls and their training on the island. So even the most baseline Amazon generally has more strength, resiliency, faster reflexes, etc. than a human in Patriarch’s World. (That’s something Perez initially played with.) Amazons who’ve trained harder and are more skilled at it may be more powerful than a baseline Amazon (Hippolyta, Philippus, Artemis, and Nubia), with Diana, Donna, Cassie and Yara being far beyond that when they received/accessed their Wonder-abilities.

As far as weapons, I like mixture of them still training with mundane melee weapons (swords, spears, javelins, bows and arrows, etc.) as part of their culture and heritage and the skill it takes to wield them as warriors. But I’d also like to see how they’ve developed new offensive weapons with knowledge, science, technology, etc. they’ve developed over time. Mix in some enchanted weaponry too (Sword of Hephaestus, Gauntlets of Atlas, Bow of Ra, Girdles of Hippolyta and Antiope, etc.) and it starts to be really fun to play around with mythic items they’ve found versus mundane items they’ve created. I mean some Amazon scientist must have a theory on how mystic weapons work.

I say offensive tools, because I don’t think the Themyscirans should ever be looking to kill an opponent if they can subdue them.

It’d also be intriguing to see Amazon scientists and technologists think of ways to combat and protect against things like Power Rings, Omega Beams, Heat Vision, magical energies, etc., as Diana has exposed them to all these things from entering Man’s World.

The biggest thing is Amazon society needs to be reimagined into something more complex and interesting than it is now. It’d give them and Diana the opportunity for more stories with different themes.

I see it as the Amazons originally used swords, shields, spears and the like when fighting. They train hard and are far stronger than the strongest humans. They are experts in the martial arts, including wrestling. They also believe in a strong mind in a strong body and also are interested in the Arts, History, Language, Science and Magic.

Naturally, through the centuries, they developed some unique advances such as energy guns and the Purple Healing Ray, for example. Most Amazons prefer to train in both old tech and new tech. Some only in the old ways, while others only in the new tech. Some devote all of their time being scientists. A rare few dabble in the mystic arts.

Thus, this explains the dichotomy of architecture, culture, history and traditions. The Island contains both old and new ways.

Through the centuries, the Amazons have explored and inhabited Paradise Island. It really is a Paradise with exotic fruits, vegetables, trees, bushes and fauna. Either the Island is much larger than first thought, or through the magic of the gods, the more that is explored, a little more unexplored becomes available. As such, there is still some unexplored areas.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I feel like Themyscira should be like Wakanda. Ancient civilization to the outside world, advanced technological utopia on the inside. The Purple Ray isn't magic, it's super science. Think something like WW Earth One. They could conquer the world easily if they wanted to. The Amazons are only willing to share their technology with the outside world if it agrees to their loving submission.
    I like the Wakanda reference as I agree with much of what you stated. Their "tech" should really make them one of the most powerful nations/societies on Earth, despite their relatively low population.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think from the outside Themyscira should look like the ancient civilization it is but within the walls it is a advanced society surrounded by magic and science.

One aspect that they should've taken from the WW series was Feminum which makes the Amazons very hard to kill.

The Amazons themselves should be superhuman to a degree. At least the strength of 5 men.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

The Amazons should be an advanced society, but they shouldn't be utopian. It should be like Star Trek (original series, I don't know about others), not perfect, but this is what we can achieve if we work together. I would love for Diana's setting to move back to the science-fantasy roots like Marston grounded her in. Abilities: the Amazons can reach peak human performance. They're superhumans, between Spider-Man and Captain America. Diana, however, she's a singularity among the Amazons. Her strength, speed, and intelligence far exceed the others; only a few Amazons can match her.

Technology: I think starting them off above the current level of the man's world, but could reach futuristic levels of technology in the coming years, is the best way. You have room to grow and show the struggle of man and advancing technology. Perez stagnating them was a horrible misstep.

Weapons: if they were to have weapons, they shouldn't be lethal. For example, give them a gun that temporarily paralyzes their enemies rather than kills them. They should have swords and stuff for recreational use only.

Skills: Amazonian wrestling. A wrestling style not used to hurt their opponent but to subdue or make them submit.

There are two main sources of Amazon powers: magic and life force manipulation.

Life force manipulation is equivalent to how manipulation of chi or ki is depicted in certain fiction granting the Amazons superhuman strength, speed, agility, durability and stamina. It can also be used to enhance normal senses and possibly grant the user a "sixth sense". Flight is an advanced skill that can be learned but is also difficult. Another advanced ability is channeling life force through other people and objects through physical contact in order to enhance them. This ability is very useful when fighting with weapons. Life force manipulation is used by Amazon soldiers and martial artists who combine it with their various fighting styles for maximum efficiency.

Amazon magic includes manipulation of elements, invisibility, teleportation, scrying, creating barriers and conjuring objects. The Amazons' magic only includes the elements of fire, air and water as they view the earth as sacred and fear Gaia's fury.

More later.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-26-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think from the outside Themyscira should look like the ancient civilization it is but within the walls it is a advanced society surrounded by magic and science.

One aspect that they should've taken from the WW series was Feminum which makes the Amazons very hard to kill.

The Amazons themselves should be superhuman to a degree. At least the strength of 5 men.

I said this recently on another thread having not seen this one.