Page 54 of 345 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

If I remember right the writer of the book actually said she's not a fan of T'Challa?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I remember right the writer of the book actually said she's not a fan of T'Challa?
    That explains a lot.

I wonder why so many "modern writers" aren't a fan of the character.

Being a confident, powerful man=/= misogyny.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That explains a lot.

I wonder why so many "modern writers" aren't a fan of the character.

Being a confident, powerful man=/= misogyny.
    king, powerful, confident, black, male with woman bodyguards

I think it was Coates who went "who wouldn't take advantage of that" or some ****

because, you know, even in fantasy there simply can't be good people I guess.

too many of these authors have some deep seated trauma or something and it is like T'challa represents everyone that hurt them in one character.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I believe that's a different writer named Stephanie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I believe that's a different writer named Stephanie.
    It's Stephanie Williams who was talking slick about T'Challa on the For All Nerds podcast last year. She's the one who wrote the first issue of the Wakanda miniseries, which I refused to buy. And I stopped supporting her Nubia work as well. Karama Horne, who wrote the Dora Milaje book, and also will be writing the T'Challa story for Voices this year, was also on that podcast. She took some issue with recasters but later put out an essay that I thought was pretty balanced on the recast issue. I doubt I will buy the Voices issue though because I have little taste to see T'Challa experience yet another "crisis of faith".

As for Stephanie Phillips, can't say how I think she would treat T'Challa, but I think I've read some of her Harley work with Luke Fox and Ben Turner, and I felt she underused Turner while somewhat misusing Fox. It seems like Luke is struggling to find his place, and is making mistakes, a la T'Challa but they aren't as bad as what Ridley did, and Luke's not getting as slammed for them. I'm not blaming her for that because I think DC doesn't know what to do with Luke. I was catching up on some of the Future State stories and the Luke story I read made him more of a villain. I don't think they know what to do with him and have pushed him to the side for Jace. I guess it's just too hard for DC to come up with stories where Jace and Luke can both be heroes in their own right.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 01-20-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Didn't Hudlin or McDuffie have T'Challa put Silver Surfer in an arm bar to take him down?

All Rogue has to do is arm bar T'Challa while Gambit shoots a loaded 8 ball?

Now for someone who has been TRASHED over spying on folks-would T'Challa know how to beat them and not be in that position? Or was that made up to encourage more T'Challa bashing.

That is because the book did not say Black Panther.

They love to chirp but don't show up when someone tries a legit effort to build up a character as themselves.

Not there for Riri, Shuri, Angels, Monica, Vixen, Storm, Green Lantern Jo, Nita Hawes, Goldie Vance, Live Wire, Moon Girl, the black woman in Aliens (Dark Horse version), Han Solo's ex wife and the various black female lead books that do NOT take anything away from a person.

Then want to complain they don't have anything. Folks are doing the work-why are they not showing up.

If WOW and Shuri (a book I supported) were successful. We might have two book one with T'Challa with a backbone and one exploring Wakanda.

But this falls back into the old argument.

Or WHY can't Sam Wilson be Falcon and not Cap America.

Sam Wilson as himself doesn't sell.
    Sam Wilson as CA does.
    Look at the number of solo issues between both identities.

Folks want Wakanda propped up but only want it done in T'Challa's book at his expense.

Batman doesn't do that.
    Excellent breakdown. This reminds me of Roxane Gay's New York Times essay last year in which she argued against recasting T'Challa, while at the same time trying to make an argument for more diversity (of course what was left unsaid was more women of color diversity only). Holding on to a Black male character, even one as historic as T'Challa, didn't fit under expanding diversity I suppose. What Gay didn't take issue with, was at the time the recent axing of the Leslie Grace Batgirl movie, and she also didn't say anything about the purported HBO Max Black Canary film, with Jurnee Smollett. The (Black) feminist focus is so much on taking something away from Black males, of inserting themselves into what they think are Black male/male "spaces" and taking them over, that they ignore a lot of Black female characters already out there. There's been no push to get Monica Rambeau her own movie or to take over from Carol Danvers, even though there's a lot more precedent for that than Shuri as Panther. There's no bombarding DC to get a Vixen film, etc. Where is all the cheerleading for Moon Girl?

No, instead they wait until there's a Black male-led (supposedly) project and then start howling about the lack of female characters and agency. Though Hollywood is usually ahead of them these days by already having feminists as showrunners and writers so it's nothing to have the male character/brand as the hook, but the stories told and characters focused on are female.

Zula Hendricks from the Alien series is a cool character, and it would be cool to see her in live action, so long as they don't give her an ultra-Black feminist makeover.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 01-20-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Jed McKay writing T’Challa in Avengers is a fucking life vest tossed out to BP drowning under all these bad books. Dude is a great writer, I’m confident he at least will write T’Challa well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jed McKay writing T’Challa in Avengers is a fucking life vest tossed out to BP drowning under all these bad books. Dude is a great writer, I’m confident he at least will write T’Challa well.
    Yeah I'm glad there will be at least one book where T'Challa gets treated properly.

If things start looking good for T’Challa finally, I might cry. Was really worried Ridley’s run would have him excluded from the team indefinitely.

I hope the cover is at least somewhat representative of how he'll look in the book. I missed the golden adornments.

Incredible Member

The Star. The Icon. The Witch. The Construct. The God. The Engineer. The King" reads the official description of May's Avengers #1.

I like that Description

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    The Star. The Icon. The Witch. The Construct. The God. The Engineer. The King" reads the official description of May's Avengers #1.

I like that Description
    Looks like Arthur and T’Challa will be each other’s opposites

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post

I hope the cover is at least somewhat representative of how he'll look in the book. I missed the golden adornments.
    I wonder how he managed to talk his way back on the team.

That seems to be the theme of the last two solos.

It must be a prerequisite to be a writer for BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really hope so.