Mighty Member

Default Samuel Wilson: Captain America / Falcon Appreciation 2023

Previous Appreciation Thread:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2019
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2020
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2022

Notable relationships:
    Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, Misty Knight, Sharon Carter, Gideon and Sarah Wilson, Redwing
    Legacies:
    Falcon (Joaquin Torres), Patriot (Rayshaun Lucas)

Recommended Reading: credit to Psycwave
    Captain America v.1 #117 (first appearance)-222
    Avengers v.1 #183-196
    Falcon v.1 #1-4
    Captain America and The Falcon v.1 #1-14
    Captain America v.5 #1-14, 31-50, 600-601
    Heroes for Hire v.4 #1-12
    Mighty Avengers v.2 #1-14
    Captain America and the Falcon One-shot
    Captain America v.7 #16-25
    All New Captain America #1-6
    Captain America & The Mighty Avengers v.1 #1-9
    Sam Wilson: Captain America #1-24
    Secret Empire #1-10
    Falcon v.2 #1-7
    Falcon & Winter Soldier v.1 #1-5

Mighty Member

Upcoming Event 2023
    Captain America: Cold War

Happy New Year to Sam and his fans .

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Upcoming Event 2023
    Captain America: Cold War
    Looking forward to this. I hope that Sam gets new villains created strictly for him.

Extraordinary Member

Not counting Red Skull, who would you call Sam’s arch enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Hydra Cap?

Invincible Member

Sam and Steve sorta share rogues. There's probably a few old school villains who could be repurposed to be more Sam specific...Nightshade ( I know she reformed but I like her better as a villian), Fastus, Ghost, etc....

Has Sam been quietly retconned to have southern roots, maybe his grandparents? Since the MCU Falcon is from Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sam and Steve sorta share rogues. There's probably a few old school villains who could be repurposed to be more Sam specific...Nightshade ( I know she reformed but I like her better as a villian), Fastus, Ghost, etc....
    Fully agree there .

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Maybe Crossbones?

who were some of the Harlem gangsters that were active in the 70s era that Sam went up against?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who were some of the Harlem gangsters that were active in the 70s era that Sam went up against?
    I remember one story where he fought one but the name escapes me.

Fantastic Member

I've come around to Wilson slowly over the years. He had to have been the first Black superhero I ever saw on a comic book cover, but I never really warmed to him until reading some of Nick Spencer's Captain America run and then some of Rodney Barnes's Falcon run. I'm subscribed to Tochi Onyebuchi's current run, but I've gotten behind. I have gone back and read Christopher Priest's Captain America and Falcon run and I appreciated Priest's take on the character for the most part.

From the current run, I do like the use of the White Wolf (even though it he should be more in the Black Panther comic, and I wish that Marvel was doing more to tie Wilson and Black Panther together than they have thus far as long as the White Wolf arc lasts). I would like to see Wilson get more original villains, but also using some of the ones that aren't getting much attention in the Rogers books. I think Crossbones and Batroc are good fits, as is Sin, and I could see the Grand Director playing a role as a nice big bad. David Liss's American Panther could also be brought back. Someone mentioned Nightshade and I think she would work too.

I am behind on the current run, but hopefully Wilson's love life is getting attention as well. It's something that's very lacking in the MCU, though I would not be surprised if Wilson ends up with Sharon in Captain America 4.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 01-05-2023 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I've come around to Wilson slowly over the years. He had to have been the first Black superhero I ever saw on a comic book cover, but I never really warmed to him until reading some of Nick Spencer's Captain America run and then some of Rodney Barnes's Falcon run. I'm subscribed to Tochi Onyebuchi's current run, but I've gotten behind. I have gone back and read Christopher Priest's Captain America and Falcon run and I appreciated Priest's take on the character for the most part.

From the current run, I do like the use of the White Wolf (even though it he should be more in the Black Panther comic, and I wish that Marvel was doing more to tie Wilson and Black Panther together than they have thus far as long as the White Wolf arc lasts). I would like to see Wilson get more original villains, but also using some of the ones that aren't getting much attention in the Rogers books. I think Crossbones and Batroc are good fits, as is Sin, and I could see the Grand Director playing a role as a nice big bad. David Liss's American Panther could also be brought back. Someone mentioned Nightshade and I think she would work too.

I am behind on the current run, but hopefully Wilson's love life is getting attention as well. It's something that's very lacking in the MCU, though I would not be surprised if Wilson ends up with Sharon in Captain America 4.
    I think that was basically killed by the Power Broker thing.

There might be a chance he ends up with Sabra.

Sabra could be cool but I'm hoping for Misty Knight.

I agree with Emperorjones, Sam should get his own villians at some point.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-05-2023 at 08:27 AM.