Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Riri Williams: Ironheart Appreciation 2023

No solo or Champions book yet as far as I know, but she started the year on Iron Man #2.

That cover's a lie. They do argue about her usage of Mandarin's rings, but she never fights him in her armour, instead they work together against Living Laser.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I liked her but she suffered from a bad first impression in CW2. So Bendis did the same trick that he used on Miles but worse. How is her appearance in Wakanda Forever? I'm optimistic as Miles and Kamala are better done in recent adaptations. So her own show and her appearance in Wakanda Forever as well as Armor Wars would help her more than the comics ever could.

I loved Far Sector so it would be cool if NK Jemisin got to write her.

Tanya Spears aka Power Girl and Omni from Catalyst Prime remind me of her.

I thought using AMI as the basis for the MCU ViV but that feels like a rethread of Ultron. I wouldn't mind her meeting Victor Mancha from Runaways and Warlock from the New Mutants.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-20-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Happy New Year to Riri and her fans .

Mighty Member

Looking forward to the up coming tv series later this year and hopefully this would lead at least a mini.

Ultimate Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn-TRCnr9w

Eve Ewing interview and she drops a TON of Riri stuff around 1:15 mark or close to it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked her but she suffered from a bad first impression in CW2. So Bendis did the same trick that he used on Miles but worse. How is her appearance in Wakanda Forever? I'm optimistic as Miles and Kamala are better done in recent adaptations. So her own show and her appearance in Wakanda Forever as well as Armor Wars would help her more than the comics ever could.

I thought using AMI as the basis for the MCU ViV but that feels like a rethread of Ultron. I wouldn't mind her meeting Victor Mancha from Runaways and Warlock from the New Mutants.
    NK Jemisin would be an excellent choice if Eve Ewing isn't coming back to write her.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Looking forward to the up coming tv series later this year and hopefully this would lead at least a mini.
    Would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn-TRCnr9w

Eve Ewing interview and she drops a TON of Riri stuff around 1:15 mark or close to it.
    Thanks.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

She suffered from being black and female. Bendis Miles and Riri is not written any worse than anything else the last 20 years. She's been really well written once Eve Ewing got her hands on her

Yeah, Bendis created her, but Zub in Champions and Eve Ewing in her solo really developed her character.

Her origin was rushed though - Bendis introduces her, supposedly as Tony's new protege, but Civil War II happens almost immediately after they meet and she winds up becoming the lead of the Iron Man book! She spends more time with an AI based on Tony than the real one.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I bought Invincible Iron Man #2 for Riri, but went back to read #1 and she's in that too.

Last edited by davetvs; 01-21-2023 at 04:09 AM.

Yeah, she's part of the main cast for this run. Good thing too, since Champions seems to be gone for good.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm in for the run then. I'm not typically into Big 3 Solos but the first 2 issues have been strong and I want to follow Riri.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    NK Jemisin would be an excellent choice if Eve Ewing isn't coming back to write her.

Would be cool.

Thanks.
    John Ridley or the writer behind Sam Wilson's run could be cool too.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-21-2023 at 06:39 AM.

Ultimate Member

In the interview I listed...

Eve left a ton of Easter Eggs in the background of the book.

Along with one that legally she couldn't but sort of did. A movie poster for Iron Giant.

She also worked with the artist to make sure black folks actually looked like black people.

The scene with Riri and her mother wearing a wrap in one scene took a LONG time to get right because Eve hunted done images of a woman wearing a wrap for the artist to get right. I think it was the 3rd try that it was finally right.

Quote Originally Posted by milesvspeter View Post
    She suffered from being black and female. Bendis Miles and Riri is not written any worse than anything else the last 20 years. She's been really well written once Eve Ewing got her hands on her
    I'm not saying she's badly written although I lost faith in Bendis over at the big two recently. Most of his recent work has good ideas but bad execution. His second volume on Miles is weaker than the the first and his run on Jon Kent was a dud.

So introducing Riri as a replacement was a questionable idea but could've worked better than what we got.

I'm discounting the bigoted attacks because they are too common and not worth talking about.