Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time's no longer running out: Ultimate Marvel appreciation 2023

Well, after so many years there are actual and tangible news about the Ultimate Marvel imprint, so it's a good moment to start a well-deserved appreciation thread. Which were your favorite comics and arcs? Do you have any fan-made content you want to share?

I liked Millar's original run on Ultimates. I liked X-men after Ultimatum and wanted to check out All New Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Which were your favorite comics and arcs?

• Favorite Arcs: Reservation X (A.K.A. Utopia)

• Favorite Character: Ultimate Spider-Woman

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-24-2023 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

I loved Millar's run on The Ultimates and despite the massive delays I was always pleased whenever a issue came out. Hawkeye was my favorite character in the UU and that Matrix inspired debut for him and Widow is still badass to this day.

Astonishing Member

I guess they will pick up the previous threads, the Maker's aim to replace the current Marvel Universe with the ruined Ultimate Universe. The tagline of Ultimate Invasion gives it away.

Probably won't happen but I wouldn't mind mishmash of both 616 and 1610 Earths and undoing post Secret Wars Prime Earth(616).

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I guess they will pick up the previous threads, the Maker's aim to replace the current Marvel Universe with the ruined Ultimate Universe. The tagline of Ultimate Invasion gives it away.

Probably won't happen but I wouldn't mind mishmash of both 616 and 1610 Earths and undoing post Secret Wars Prime Earth(616).
    It's that what you really want? Are you sure?

7cfiah.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's that what you really want? Are you sure?

7cfiah.jpg
    It's what everyone needs.

Well, that was explicitly said in Venom #200. The Maker wants to join the Council of Reeds, and to do so he must restore his home universe, and Brock suspects that he will try to do with an invasion.

DC said the same thing in 1985. It's a Pandora's box that has trapped them in a constant state of reboots and retcons ever since. I've always been a big DC fan, and trust me, we're jealous of Marvel's continuity, even though it has its own flaws. Grass is always greener on the other side and all that, but I doubt Marvel would manage the task any better than DC has over the years.

One thing to bring a few elements of Ultimate over to the 616. Quite another to reboot continuity entirely so those handful of elements can pretend they were always there. Didn't this cause some problems with Miles already?

As for the OP, my favorites were the early Spidey and X-Men. First year or two of those books were gold. Tried getting into the Ultimates, and it started good, but it felt like it was trying too hard and I didn't stick with it for long. And Miles' Spidey, I came into that real late, with the Spider-Men mini, but damn that was a good run once I tracked it down.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I wouldn't mind the UU being used like 2099. A seperate imprint with new characters taking over established mantles.

Trying that fixes nothing, and DC itself is evidence of this.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wouldn't mind the UU being used like 2099. A seperate imprint with new characters taking over established mantles.
    I think they kinda tried to do that with the post-Ultimatum setting lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Trying that fixes nothing, and DC itself is evidence of this.

I think they kinda tried to do that with the post-Ultimatum setting lol.
    Oh yeah, i forgot because outside of miles and a few others they were just established characters. I'm hoping they continue that trend and you could use a timeskip to do it.

But that might be better for another imprint.

Very well.

((Temple floor parts to reveal a staff))

Here is. The staff sings of YESTERFUTURE and PRESENTWHEN! It has many owners...but no masters!

But be warned! The more you use it The more powerful it becomes, the more life it will drain from your fandom.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Fantastic Member

Ultimate Spider-Man to this day is still the only Spider Man comics I’ve ever read (and judging by recent news about the “616” spider man comic sounds like i haven’t missed much). I really loved the story arcs introducing Doc Ock and Venom. Also Ultimate Six was awesome and the fact that Spider-Man:No Way Home was based on it was basically nirvana for me.

I also enjoyed Mark Millar and Bryan Hitches run on The Ultimates. I know some parts of it were controversial and perhaps “too edgy/cynical” but it did paint a pretty real picture of the United States at the time unfortunately.

Oh and Ultimate Fantastic Four was good and I’m actually not a fan of Reed Richards becoming evil. It never sat well with me though I do think Hickman made the most of the idea.
    Last edited by Wally West; 02-25-2023 at 03:45 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Well, that was explicitly said in Venom #200. The Maker wants to join the Council of Reeds, and to do so he must restore his home universe, and Brock suspects that he will try to do with an invasion.
    Boy I’ve been out of the loop. I thought the council of reeds was all killed by the end of Hickmans FF run no?