Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Mockingbird's supposed to be a capable scientist, but even on the West Coast Avengers was never really allowed to show her science chops, because Tony was there to suck up every atom of oxygen in that room.)
    I really loved that final line-up of the West Coast Avengers. At first glance, it seemed really weak, but, IMHO, it had so much potential and the team could really push foward and up their game to meet the challenge. Clint was there as Hawkeye in the end, but, considering the lack of heavy duty muscle, I don't see why he couldn't stay as Goliath with a handy Pym Particles shrunken bow and arrow at stand by, for when firepower and skill were needed, instead of muscle power. Wanda was trying out as leader, and her hex power always made her formidable. War Machine and US Agent were both on the verge of reinventing themselves, and there was no reason for that not to happen as members of the WCA (though the War Machine warwear sure deserved a better redesign). Spider Woman was always a strong team member, and perhaps her abilities could have been fleshed out in new and creative manners. And finally, more than as a costumed athlete good at hand to hand combat, Bobbi could have been invaluable as the brains of the outfit, the scientific mind of the group. And the Living Lightning could have always been on stand by, providing the team with extra fire-power and another flyer. IMHO, it could have been great, if they had not decided to end the title and rebrand it as Force Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    For a while most fans here seemed to be against the Yellowjacket identity for Pym, but I think it’s his best look by far.
    I’d love seeing him back and joining a proper Avengers team. Without all this MCU synergy.
    I have nothing against the YJ ID, and, IMHO, it's the ID in which he can best use all his various powers and abilities (Growing, shrinking, flying, fireing energy blasts, using his Pym Particles shrunken arsenal, etc...).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Honestly, I'd kill off any of the current replacements just to have the original product, Hank, back. Even, MCU synergy Scott Lang, and I liked Scott Lang in the old days, before hebecame a "lovable loser" (and you can read that with TONS of sarcasm). I think I've read maybe two or three appereances of that Raz Giant Man, and he caused absolutely no impression on me. Bill Foster was great, and I never saw the reason for him to drop the Black Goliath name (it really was his own, and he WORE black, so it was not about the skin color). I always wanted for them to use him more and for him to go back to his OG identity, sadly, they killed him off. His successor, Tom Foster, fells largely underdeveloped and really hasn't done anything truly worthy of notice. For me, the Avengers always looked better with a towering gigantic guy on the background, and it really should be Hank Pym.

Peace
    I totally agree. How can we have all of the original Avengers still around but no Hank Pym. And to be honest, I really liked Hank as Giant-Man.

One of the best Avengers moments was when he took on the Kree Sentry when they were fighting the Lunatic Legion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I totally agree. How can we have all of the original Avengers still around but no Hank Pym. And to be honest, I really liked Hank as Giant-Man.
    I miss the Marvel Handbook days, when the writers were at least encouraged to consider science, even if they weren't scientists and nobody expected them to get everything exactly right.

For Hank as Giant-Man, growing a normal strength / toughness human to 2x their height would octuple their mass, and they'd collapse under the strain. Since that doesn't happen, and Hank works just fine at 12', his new 'Pym particle-formed' extra mass must be 8x stronger and tougher than human tissue, so that he can function proportionally as strong and capable as he is at normal height.

Square cube law (square the height, cube the weight) means not only 2x height = 8x weight (and therefore strength and toughness required), but 10x height, *1000x weight* (and strength / toughness required!). When he grows to sixty feet in height, he should be as strong as old Marvel Handbook Thor, ~100 *tons* of lift, and have tissue tougher than battleship steel. (And we've seen plenty of indication that this is so, since 60' Pym, or Janet, can fall over and crush buildings and not be hurt at all, just winded or embarrassed, no more injured by the experience than a normal sized person falling down, not one weighing many tons smashing down 40' onto metal and wood and stone.)

Giant-Men are no joke! Unlike Thor and Wonder Man, they can't use that 'class 100' strength in some underground tunnels, or inside a building, or in other confined places, where they can't grow into a 60 foot tall 160,000 lb. form. But Thor and Wonder Man can't shrink, command insects, code AI, do super-science, or use their growth/shrinking abilities on *other people or objects* the way Pym can.

And there's all sorts of other caveats. The altered distance nerve impulses have to travel might result in a size-changer being *slightly* slower to react at great size, and *slightly* faster reacting at miniscule sizes.

Pym seems quite able to function with his full intelligence when his brain could fit on the head of a pin, suggesting that his organic brain, even when shunted into 'Pym space' as 'Pym particles', can somehow still be accessed and used as if it was physically present in this dimension.

And if that's the case...

Does he get smarter when he grows to sixty feet in height, and his brain is larger than my living room? And is *that* expanded brain and all it's big beefy brain-ness somehow still accessible to him even when he's only six feet tall?

I would find it kind of hilarious if many of Marvel's 'super-geniuses' are cheating. Pym accessing a giant brain's worth of brain. Doom parallel-processing with his dozens of Doombots. Reed 'stretching' his brain's plasticity to give it much more surface area. Stark having co-opted the various nanites and computer chips he's been implanting in his body for various reasons (like to overcome spinal paralysis after being shot by an ex-girlfriend) since the '80s to have a sort of internal AI. People like Banner or Parker, *normally* 'smart' guys are all like, 'HEY! Quit cheating!'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-17-2024 at 11:59 AM.

IMHO, it could have been great, if they had not decided to end the title and rebrand it as Force Works.
    That was done for synergy with the Iron Man cartoon, wasn't it? I wonder why the cartoon didn't call his team the Avengers?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Which is weird cuz when The Avengers appear in other cartoons usually Iron Man was on the roster like in Fantastic Four and Spider-Man.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but none of these characters are Hank Pym.

Scott barely feels relevant any more. I feel like Spencer making him into the underdog losing loser that loses has made him like the least remarkable Ant-Man.
    Exactly

And yes, Scott used to be a lot more interesting. MCU synergy at its best...

Honestly, I'd kill off any of the current replacements just to have the original product, Hank, back. Even, MCU synergy Scott Lang, and I liked Scott Lang in the old days, before hebecame a "lovable loser" (and you can read that with TONS of sarcasm). I think I've read maybe two or three appereances of that Raz Giant Man, and he caused absolutely no impression on me. Bill Foster was great, and I never saw the reason for him to drop the Black Goliath name (it really was his own, and he WORE black, so it was not about the skin color). I always wanted for them to use him more and for him to go back to his OG identity, sadly, they killed him off. His successor, Tom Foster, fells largely underdeveloped and really hasn't done anything truly worthy of notice. For me, the Avengers always looked better with a towering gigantic guy on the background, and it really should be Hank Pym.

Peace
    So would I, honestly. If killing is too radical, send them back to their old life.

That Raz guy... To be fair, I had forgotten he even existed, and I'm pretty surprised he's still around. The few times I read about him, he was so boring and uninteresting to me. I felt he was just a one-dimensional character to fill a suit and check a few diversity boxes at the same time. I wouldn't shed a tear if we never hear from him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    For a while most fans here seemed to be against the Yellowjacket identity for Pym, but I think it’s his best look by far.
    I’d love seeing him back and joining a proper Avengers team. Without all this MCU synergy.
    The YJ identity was good, at the time. But it's been tainted by so many things, starting with the slap... then villains started to use the id for themselves. And the MCU made it clear it was a bad guy's suit. Even in the first season of the What if...?, when Hank was in the YJ suit, he had turned to the dark side. Bringing him back and putting him in the YJ suit again would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Hank's Yellowjacket is pretty cool despite the history. Personally my favorite Hank will always be Giant-Man. As said above, Hank looks amazing on the Avengers when he's the towering powerhouse of a giant on the team, and I always thought his Giant-Man look was top tier. Yellowjacket would be second, I even really like his Wasp look and feel it's underrated. Surprisingly I'm not crazy about his Ant-Man stuff. I'm bias because I like Giant-Man more but of all Hank's identities Ant-Man seemed to feel the least interesting. When he's not Giant-Man my next go to would be Yellowjacket. Might be a hot take, but I feel both Scott and O'Grady were more interesting in the Ant-Man role then Hank. I feel like Yellowjacket was Hank's Ant-Man done better, minus the slap.

I guess I should mention Goliath. I mean it's just another Giant-Man variant without the ant control. It's fine but something about the red in Hank's Giant-Man suit makes me prefer it.
    It's my favourite ID for him also! I like the design of the suit, and besides Hank himself said once that the id with which he felt the most stable and the most balanced was the Giant-Man id (in Avengers Academy I believe). I would be down with a new suit design if it takes inspiration from the current GM suit, but with colours like the suit he had on in the vol. 3 (blue and silver). I kinda liked those colours for him. But my favourite will always be the red and black one.

Having said that, we're no closer to having him back, so all this is kind of irrelevant...
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

I like that costume with the side-pockets on the pants only because Wasp using to call him 'high pockets' when he was in Giant Man form, even tho he had no pockets at the time. Now he does! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like that costume with the side-pockets on the pants only because Wasp using to call him 'high pockets' when he was in Giant Man form, even tho he had no pockets at the time. Now he does! Ha!
    Thank you 90's .

Hey fellow Hank Pym-anites! I think I've cracked the code on how Hank will get his youth back. And it was Ewing who provided the answer in the Ant-Iversary. Professor Weems the Time Master! In the first issue of the Ant-Iversary Hank is aged up to a 80 year old man by his time gun. He restores his age by changing the setting to making him young again. What if current day Hank does it again and re-ages himself to normal? Ewing might have given us the keys to seeing Hank restored to normal

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Hey fellow Hank Pym-anites! I think I've cracked the code on how Hank will get his youth back. And it was Ewing who provided the answer in the Ant-Iversary. Professor Weems the Time Master! In the first issue of the Ant-Iversary Hank is aged up to a 80 year old man by his time gun. He restores his age by changing the setting to making him young again. What if current day Hank does it again and re-ages himself to normal? Ewing might have given us the keys to seeing Hank restored to normal
    That would be awesome and full-circle .

Issue 5 wraps up the central mysteries neatly and leaves room for future stories.

spoilers:
    I'm hoping we get a sequel miniseries about Pym and his Lethal Legion against Ultron. Vic being Mark 12 was neat and the Ant-vengers became a thing.. lol.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Hank's first ever meeting with his daughter was underwhelming. Feels like it should've taken up a whole issue on its own. And Hank is still old and crazy. Overall, I am disappointed.
    end of spoilers
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

spoilers:
    I feel like Hank and Nadia might have been issue 6 had the book not been axed, so it had to be squeezed into this issue. It was definitely rushed. Nadia commented about having a brother, forgetting that she already has two (one is Ultron, and the other is Tigra's son William).
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    I feel like Hank and Nadia might have been issue 6 had the book not been axed, so it had to be squeezed into this issue. It was definitely rushed. Nadia commented about having a brother, forgetting that she already has two (one is Ultron, and the other is Tigra's son William).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Would she consider Ultron a brother and has she actually met William?
    end of spoilers

Marvel do you want my money? Do. You. Want. My. Money? Then make it a reality! Make my team come true.

spoilers:
    Ant-Vengers! They assembled at last! It might have been short but damn it what a feeling it was to see. Cassie making the battle cry and reigniting her old rivalry with O'Grady! That's what I want to see in my Ant-Vengers team! I'm gonna say it, this is what Avengers Inc should have been! Ant-Vengers! Size-changing Pym legacy heroes saving the day and restoring Hank to normal.

Speaking of Hank he finally met Nadia and it was...very underwhelming. I actually think Nadia meeting the fake Hank Pym in the 2018 Ant-Man and Wasp book was more emotional and telling. This one was really rushed for obvious reasons. And Hank is still in Michael Douglas mode. Booooo! That's why Ant-Vengers needs to continue. It can never stop until Hank is back to normal as the patriarch of the team.

As rushed as this was it was my favorite issue. Mainly because it had Cassie and Ant-Vengers in it so I'm super biased regardless of how obviously rushed it was. Like seriously we waited for Hank and Nadia to meet and that's the best they can do? Ant-Vengers can totally fix that!
    end of spoilers