Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Raven Appreciation Thread 2023

Realizing she doesn't have an appreciation thread I decided to correct that oversight. Recently appearing depictions are numerous and include...

My favorite Titan, next to Blue Beetle!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Raven is very complicated for me. I love the character but I'm not a big fan of the constant de-aging or turning into a generic goth teen.

This Raven all day every day

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    My favorite Titan, next to Blue Beetle!
    Not sure I can recall many times they were together in the comics. Though I do recall the Judas Contract scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Raven is very complicated for me. I love the character but I'm not a big fan of the constant de-aging or turning into a generic goth teen.
    Classic Raven was very different then a generic goth girl yes. I felt the DCAMU tried to include at least some aspects of classic Raven in their version. Moreso at least then the comics have. Both Raven and Trigon were far more unique characters in fiction when they arrived on the scene. Both were more influenced by Indian mythology and philosophy then old school Christian.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-17-2023 at 06:54 AM.

I'm still looking for an adaptation that captures whatever aural quality Raven's voice is supposed to have given her unique speech bubbles in comics...

The closest we've gotten to anything specific is the vocal fry that Tara Strong imbued Raven with in the animated series...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

how many siblings does she have now?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    how many siblings does she have now?
    That is an ever-changing feature. Originally, she had none at all. That meant all of Trigon's hopes and dreams for an heir were on her. After he was dead it was explained she had a hundred or so dead siblings that lived on inside her that she could implant to live again.

After they went with the number 6 so they could do the Seven Deadly Sins concept.

They decided in the New 52 era that was too much so they paired it down to three.

They are currently promoting one child as Raven's sibling though it was pretty dodgy in the first place as to if the children were Trigon's or the Lazarus Rain stuff was just making new demons.

My take on the sons of Trigon stuff is by in large it is meant to enhance Raven's story. But, they never put the time in to develop them as more than a short-term feature and they tend to interfere with the interesting features of her classic relationship with Trigon.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-17-2023 at 07:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

This Raven all day every day

Aww, but I love goth Raven! Fans do such a great job of drawing her and I think that’s one of the reasons she’s endured so long! Goth girls are always popular

This picture is what I expect from a DCU Raven!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    My take on the sons of Trigon stuff is by in large it is meant to enhance Raven's story. But, they never put the time in to develop them as more than a short-term feature and they tend to interfere with the interesting features of her classic relationship with Trigon.
    DCUO went with the 7 sins version. although some of them get seen less than others. Although they DID manage to use Lust without re-enacting the Nightwing+Starfire scene IE he manipulates women to fight for him.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    DCUO went with the 7 sins version. although some of them get seen less than others. Although they DID manage to use Lust without re-enacting the Nightwing+Starfire scene IE he manipulates women to fight for him.
    Teen Titans Go went with the New 52 triplets and made them babies.

They were depicted as emotionally not far from that age in the New 52 so it fit.

From the TITANS Appreciation thread...

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Nathan Szerdy Titans #4 exclusive Unknown Comics and The 616 Comics.

Source The 616 Comics facebook
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I have made my distain for the ashen skinned, purple haired teenager somewhat known. I want my 80s Perez version back so bad, but I know she'll never return.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I have made my distain for the ashen skinned, purple haired teenager somewhat known. I want my 80s Perez version back so bad, but I know she'll never return.
    I like when she looked vaguely Indian, and would not have minded at all if she became even *more* Indian-looking (or, avoiding cultural appropriation, made her mom actually from India). But they went with less and less Indian-looking, and paler and paler, until she's kind of an off-putting grey colored, like a dead person.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Depends on the version that appears for the live action movies when they get there. Raven has a real strong story that DC will want to tap sooner or later. If it ends up being a 13-year-old goth girl you have your answer and Raven will likely be de-aged again in the comics. If the character is more the Perez version, then one will see her again in the comics.

If I would have to compare the versions.

Classic: In terms of ethics by Earth standards morally ambiguous even while being a pacifist. She used her powers ruthlessly at moments just ask Kid Flash. Her ethical and worldview system down to her religion was based on her growing up on Azareth. A very spiritual and philosophical version.

Current: Very generic Earth raised superhero morality and ethics the past few years. In the end its often been an attempt to make the character feel 'real to life' to your average teen.

New 52: That was a composite of her being a child of Azareth and Trigon's nightmarish universe.

I would say DC has been struggling for a long time to come up with a story arc for her that isn't a stale copy of other stories. The New 52 stuff was an attempt to invert the Terror of Trigon arc. But, they cut their own story short in the middle. Since then, her story arc has been mostly stagnant.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-20-2023 at 02:19 AM.