Page 126 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2009
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    And it's so good.

Cobra Commander is *entertaining*. I actually smiled after reading the latest issue.

Is that too much to ask? To be entertained and enjoy the comic books that we purchase?

I didn't walk away from the latest issue of Cobra Commander complaining about anything.

From some folks you can only be entertained by certain characters because they are "icons".

Others are a different story. Nobody is suppose to be entertained or like certain books.

Yet as we are seeing more and more folks are not just blindly supporting books and unlike here they are not getting lectured over it by others.

So now books that are actually worth reading are slipping in and out of the top 10-100 books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    And it's so good.

Cobra Commander is *entertaining*. I actually smiled after reading the latest issue.

Is that too much to ask? To be entertained and enjoy the comic books that we purchase?

I didn't walk away from the latest issue of Cobra Commander complaining about anything.
    Exactly.

The GI Joe and Transformers relaunch have been fun romps.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here is the thing...

"Let him cook" and give him time and every other excuse has been said about 3 of the last 4 Black Panther books.

It was NOT said in Dr. Ewing's run. Who was not in that run? Other than Okoye?

Why is it when that person is in the book-we see all levels of defending and protecting and excuses made for the book?

Where was that for Dr. Ewing's run?

It is about something else-like claiming that person helps sales. A false narrative already disproven.

The last 9 years have had almost everyone in this book and sales got worst after Coates volume 1.

You can shoehorn her, every black mutant and every black person into this book-as long as T'Challa STAYS disrespected-it's not going to improve sales.

Because folks get tired. Even Batman fans get tired of it.
    Ding ding ding

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I'm sorry but this let them cook stuff ain't flying with me. If people want to let the writers cook all I can say is that's your order so if you are good with how long it takes to get prepared that is fine. Just don't tell me how long I should wait to get my food. I'm not in the business of going to a restaurant and waiting 6 months before my food gets brought to the table.
    Ding ding ding!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ture View Post

We agree, the onus of the narrative belongs to Hill. We can also agree the book is selling well. The title of this well selling comic book that "everyone is buying" carries the name Black Panther and as a consequence of such said comic book should focus and build up on the titular character. People are buying a Black Panther comic book, the Ultimate Black Panther comic book. As writer Hill has an obligation to all those purchasing the book to showcase the king.

Try not to confuse what you call a right to complain with the power to critique. There is a difference.

With regards to Storm, she is inconsequential with respect to writing T'Challa the Black Panther at levels that demonstrate and respect his actualized powers and his exploiting their potential.
    Diiiiiiing ding ding ding!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Right? That's what Panthers Rage had, Killmonger was the big bad but T'Challa fought mini bosses throughout to progress the story.

Priest and Hudlin, each issue moved the story along. No padding issues, just telling good stories
    Exactly!!!!

These post-Hudlin BP series writers (except Redjack) be writing BP series like a weak AF telenovela. Trash!!!

Bryan Hill has repeatedly claimed to be very aware our complaints and demands which is EXACTLY what Ta-Nehisi Craps also claimed at the start of his run and WE ALL KNOW how that turned out.

Mighty Member

Thing is, regarding BP I'm not even Looking at his Killmonger run, I am looking at his BP unchained one shot which was actually pretty solid. It wasn't RJ KiB level good but it was solid nonetheless. He showed that he (seemingly) understood T'Challa. It right now he seems more interested in solidifying Shuri completely stealing T'Challas flow as he has spent 3 issues doing that while giving us nothing but mediocrity from T'Challa.

It's frustrating. I want him to had a good run and elevate T'Challa but so far he hasn't been running for winning formula
    His one shot may have been "good" but the moment i read his rubbish Killmonger mini i instantly knew and prayed he should NEVER write a BP book. Sadly fate had other plans and here we are.

For goodness sake, just compare the first 3 issues of his Blade book with issues 1-3 of this his UBP. The difference is abundantly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Shockingly, yes. Having "fun" is for (ugh) "popular fiction". Comics are all "literary" now...
    Remember when Comics could be both fun AND thought provoking? Pepperidge farms remembers

Remember when Comics could be both fun AND thought provoking? Pepperidge farms remembers
    Yeah. I also remember when a single issue meant something.

Somewhere , someone has to be whispering to Bryan Hill: "The natives are getting restless!"

If we didn't have the last three solos of Coates, Ridley and Ewing this run wouldn't be judged so harshly. They've pretty much set expectations the the next series would move far away from the crap we've experienced. Hill's run isn't bad by itself. In fact, I think it's pretty good. The issues are good, the supporting cast is good, the plot is good and the villains are very good. What he's setting up can be pretty good if handled correctly. But when you've had crap run after crap run after crap run, sometimes you have to come out of the gate swinging.

The thing going for him for me is that this isn't 616 T'Challa so I wouldn't hold him accountable for past portrayals because this is something different. He's beginning from scratch. Something big is expected to happen in issue #6. I'm willing patient enough to see what he does. If nothing develops, if things don't step up by then, he stands to lose a lot more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Somewhere , someone has to be whispering to Bryan Hill: "The natives are getting restless!"

If we didn't have the last three solos of Coates, Ridley and Ewing this run wouldn't be judged so harshly. They've pretty much set expectations the the next series would move far away from the crap we've experienced. Hill's run isn't bad by itself. In fact, I think it's pretty good. The issues are good, the supporting cast is good, the plot is good and the villains are very good. What he's setting up can be pretty good if handled correctly. But when you've had crap run after crap run after crap run, sometimes you have to come out of the gate swinging.

The thing going for him for me is that this isn't 616 T'Challa so I wouldn't hold him accountable for past portrayals because this is something different. He's beginning from scratch. Something big is expected to happen in issue #6. I'm willing patient enough to see what he does. If nothing develops, if things don't step up by then, he stands to lose a lot more people.

Hmm.... how many drums are the natives up to now?

Amazing Member

Originally Posted by Ture

Letting Hill cook is one thing, but its the ingredients I'm looking at that makes this dish less palatable. As with the three chefs who preceded him, their inclusion of GMOs (democratizing Wakanda), artificial flavoring (meaningless new characters and environs) and preservatives (repeating the deconstruction of T'Challa the Black Panther) were neither healthy nor desired. No doubt Hill is off to a much better start than Coates, Ridley and Ewing. I would thoroughly enjoy his crafting a definitive T'Challa the Black Panther for the Ultimate universe but Hill needs to follow the BP success recipe.

First off, there are rules to this game, rules that should have been observered at the outset. T'Challa the Black Panther is a polymath and strategic master; he is a scientific and technological genius; T'Challa the Black Panther is enhanced supernaturally due to his spiritual connection to his God/goddess and ancestors/ancestresses; he is an unparalleled world class combatant and among the best martial artists on the planet; as much as he is a fighter he is a lover; T'Challa the Black Panther's country is the most advanced nation technologically, militarily and socially on earth. Rules require receipts.

Secondly, selling well is one thing but if what you are providing the customer is subpar made only seemingly better due to the poor product that preceded it, then you are merely servicing a desparate consumer who will eventually fatigue of the purchase. Ultimately Hill has to course correct by centering the Ultimate Black Panther book on the ultimate version of T'Challa the Black Panther. Now why he or any other writer would choose to do otherwise I leave up to the discretion of the reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    He doesn’t have to course correct anything his UBP is actually very good

his UBP Is well
    Received
    I would postulate that Ultimate Black Panther is well received due to a large extent of the purchasers' strong desire to see T'Challa the Black Panther doing what he does best (see second paragraph), absent of such, how long do you think being well received will last?

A better question to ask you is what exactly do you find good about T'Challa the Black Panther in Ultimate Black Panther?

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Insert Kobe and Shaq GIF

Ultimate Member

Quick question about Ultimate BP. Is it possible that he's going to get his power from a different source rather than the heart-shaped herb?

That whole thing about T'Challa "levelling" up to match Khonshu suggests that Ultimate T'Challa could end up very different from the 616 version.

If this is what Hill is going for, then I look forward to it. He just need to hurry it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Yeah. I also remember when a single issue meant something.
    Right? Where each issue felt like it's own one shot? That's what I miss about Priest and Hudlin. Even if you picked up one random issue, you could still enjoy it and drive you to find the rest