Page 19 of 136 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

What an absolute waste of Alex Ross covers.

So T'Challa didn't get chumped in his fight, he actually just did well through and through, but it's short, basically what we see in the preview is basically what we get, it ends just a panel or two later. The problem i have is Eve is more interested in world building than trying to actually tell a good super hero story and she just drags her plot along while dumping more meaningless info dumps.

I also don't care for how the last several writers keep writing T'Challa as if he is somehow disconnected from Wakanda, needed to be "humbled" or in this case, he somehow was over reliant on his tech or station to describe who he is. Like none of these writers in the last 8 years appears to have read a single BP book because they don't get him at all. Eves only savings grace is that T'Challa is somewhat more competent. But again, it's clear writing action I st her strong suit. Going ob and on about Whatever world building is what she is interested in, but even then this last issue how she went about it was somewhat convoluted.

I am too old to spend money on "ok" and "good world building."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    So T'Challa didn't get chumped in his fight, he actually just did well through and through, but it's short, basically what we see in the preview is basically what we get, it ends just a panel or two later. The problem i have is Eve is more interested in world building than trying to actually tell a good super hero story and she just drags her plot along while dumping more meaningless info dumps.

I also don't care for how the last several writers keep writing T'Challa as if he is somehow disconnected from Wakanda, needed to be "humbled" or in this case, he somehow was over reliant on his tech or station to describe who he is. Like none of these writers in the last 8 years appears to have read a single BP book because they don't get him at all. Eves only savings grace is that T'Challa is somewhat more competent. But again, it's clear writing action I st her strong suit. Going ob and on about Whatever world building is what she is interested in, but even then this last issue how she went about it was somewhat convoluted.
    Yeah, these "nouveau" writers think that they need to reinvent the wheel with T'Challa and Wakanda.

We don't need the 15th reinterpretation of Black Panther. You are not going to get anyone interested in Tosin or any of these other pet characters by sidelining BP. We don't have time for that.

Everything needs to play off BP and not the other way around.

I liked Eve Ewing's Black Panther #8:

• T'Challa more than held his own against M - was even able to infliect an injury
    • Referenced The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda - planting the seed for a future story - we're going to space!!!
    • Mentioned The Wakandan Nation Rail - Cool!!!
    • Possbile new buddy for future adventures - M said she should owe him if he saves her dad
    • In the letter page - Eve agrees T'Challa is an intellectual powerhouse. Good for the auther to acknowledge what we all know.

And very cool art..

All-New Member

Yeah I thought #8 was great. I didn't see the second half as slow-moving at all... sure, there was some T'Challa voiceover, but it was checking in on other parts of the story and moving those pieces into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, these "nouveau" writers think that they need to reinvent the wheel with T'Challa and Wakanda.

We don't need the 15th reinterpretation of Black Panther. You are not going to get anyone interested in Tosin or any of these other pet characters by sidelining BP. We don't have time for that.

Everything needs to play off BP and not the other way around.
    Exactly, like Honestly? Beisa didn't even need to be in the issue at all, she felt Kinda just there and forced. And the conversation T'Challa has with her wasn't necessary, as again its simply reinforcing the writer doesn't really understand T'Challa or thinks this is somehow new territory for him and clearly hasn't read Liss run. I just don't care about these OCs at all, I don't care about these crime families because this drip feed pacing she does has killed any interest. And I'm starting to lose interest in the big bad because again, Eve is dragging the story instead of actually getting to the point. Maybe here style would work better in a weekly, but it doesn't work here. It's just irritating.

The issue isn't bad, it's decent, like the overall series itself, but "not bad" and "decent" is probably why we are going to see a sharp decline in readership come next month with Ult BP drops. People will likely have a better and more exciting high octane story to read. I actually hope this lights a fire under Marvel to get good writer's on the main title

This might have already been posted here but dang this looks good. I'm liking this new Moon Knight as a villain already.

Yeah back in the old thread but still a great trailer to drum up excitement. So far Hill has said all the right things so hopefully he delivers on something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This might have already been posted here but dang this looks good. I'm liking this new Moon Knight as a villain already.

I;m really looking forward to this. If Ultimate Black Panther is half as good as USM, we won't have anything to worry about. I just realized that next month my pulls are going to be all cats. This, Thundercasts, and that Jaguar one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Yeah back in the old thread but still a great trailer to drum up excitement. So far Hill has said all the right things so hopefully he delivers on something special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I;m really looking forward to this. If Ultimate Black Panther is half as good as USM, we won't have anything to worry about. I just realized that next month my pulls are going to be all cats. This, Thundercasts, and that Jaguar one-shot.
    Yeah, fingers crossed that this will be a knockout.

Incredible Member

So they dropping Ultimate Black Panther Issue 1 during Black History Month? Not mad. Just…. Taking notes, lol.
    Last edited by Blanks; 01-18-2024 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Hopefully editorial doesn't get in his way and lets him have more wiggle room to do some positive work on T'Challa.

I really wish we had a different editorial team for BP. Someone who understands T'Challas importance and won't let people drag him through the mud

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Exactly, like Honestly? Beisa didn't even need to be in the issue at all, she felt Kinda just there and forced. And the conversation T'Challa has with her wasn't necessary, as again its simply reinforcing the writer doesn't really understand T'Challa or thinks this is somehow new territory for him and clearly hasn't read Liss run. I just don't care about these OCs at all, I don't care about these crime families because this drip feed pacing she does has killed any interest. And I'm starting to lose interest in the big bad because again, Eve is dragging the story instead of actually getting to the point. Maybe here style would work better in a weekly, but it doesn't work here. It's just irritating.

The issue isn't bad, it's decent, like the overall series itself, but "not bad" and "decent" is probably why we are going to see a sharp decline in readership come next month with Ult BP drops. People will likely have a better and more exciting high octane story to read. I actually hope this lights a fire under Marvel to get good writer's on the main title
    Yeah, Beisa wasn't really necessary this issue. I also didn't care for the conversation where T'Challa talked about being happy to be "humbled". Why does T'Challa even need to be "humbled"? That plays into the idea that he's problematic and needs to "do better" (echoes of the Coates and Ridley eras). One thing I did like that was said in this issue was when Monet told T'Challa he has no skin in the game, and that got me thinking about one of the problems with this run thus far. T'Challa really doesn't have skin in the game. He had no real personal stakes until this issue, and that's when what happened to his friend. I will give Ridley this, he established personal stakes for T'Challa almost right off in his run. Now, I think he could've/should've done more to water those flowers, but he sprouted them. We are eight issues in, and are now just getting personal stakes for the character. And so far, I haven't seen much in this overall story where T'Challa is needed at all. Beisa, or just about any character, could've been in the main character in this arc. What makes T'Challa so necessary here?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    Yeah, Beisa wasn't really necessary this issue. I also didn't care for the conversation where T'Challa talked about being happy to be "humbled". Why does T'Challa even need to be "humbled"? That plays into the idea that he's problematic and needs to "do better" (echoes of the Coates and Ridley eras). One thing I did like that was said in this issue was when Monet told T'Challa he has no skin in the game, and that got me thinking about one of the problems with this run thus far. T'Challa really doesn't have skin in the game. He had no real personal stakes until this issue, and that's when what happened to his friend. I will give Ridley this, he established personal stakes for T'Challa almost right off in his run. Now, I think he could've/should've done more to water those flowers, but he sprouted them. We are eight issues in, and are now just getting personal stakes for the character. And so far, I haven't seen much in this overall story where T'Challa is needed at all. Beisa, or just about any character, could've been in the main character in this arc. What makes T'Challa so necessary here?
    T'Challa has been "humbled" for the last what, 8+ years(?) years in his own solo.

In order to be king/queen/ruler/leader you have to have a little bit of arrogance and a lot of self-confidence to believe that you are the best qualified person to rule. What don't they get about that.