Page 80 of 131 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Hope the folks at cliffhanger are okay with all these lay offs happening in the video game industry
    I hope they quickly de-confirm the "T'Challa dies and you create a new BlackPanther character" rumor so that I dont activley root for their complete failure and disbanding.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And every time they involve Storm with anything Wakanda based it's almost always to her benefit and at the expense of T'Challa.
    Not disputing the expense of T'Challla but

I don't recollect her benefitting much under Hudlin...a few really good moments but nothing character defining.

Being captured, imprisoned and used as leverage by Doom against T'Challa was certainly not beneficial to her.

Being left behind while T'Challa played Black Devil of Hell's Kitchen wasn't beneficial.

AvsX.

But then Coates made her a Wakandan Goddess to banish an X-Men villain...Yay! Superbeneficialness!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The reality is that Storm isn't the issue. Marvel will not allow a BP solo writer to put T'Challa in a relationship to keep that door open. They keep hinting a some future relationship where T'Challa and Storm have kids and grandkids. Meanwhile the X-office is under no restriction when it comes to having Storm in a relationship with other characters.

I don't have any problem with that. I have an issue with Marvel constantly undercutting and undermining T'Challa at every turn. Can't be king, can't be in a relationship, can't have solid wins. I don't understand why they that think this is a sustainable model for BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    A Nation Under Feet taken in isolation and without any previous context was a good work. What Coates was going for was how the flooding of Wakanda led to divisions in the country. The problem is how he implemented this, he went overboard with the 1:1 analogy of every single African problem. That plus the fact that showing the Midnight Angels as being right for defying their leadership isn't actually a good thing.

I feel Ridley was worse than Coates because his singular goal was to get T'Challa off the throne and he twisted characterization and logic to achieve this.

I mean, Ridley had Wakanda reach out to Namor, the man that almost destroyed them. This is illogical, even if T'Challa had made peace with Namor, there's no way the rest of the country would accept that. That plus almost everything T'Challa did was seen as wrong while Folashade and co were always right, the book somehow blamed T'Challa for Folashade's actions. It was all quite silly.
    Ridley's Tchalla didnt do anything I wouldn't think Coates T'Challa was capable of. His was just a version of Coates twisted version. Coates version is not any type of version of Hudlin's, Priests, or Kirbys. There's a lack of respect there with his direct attack of even widely popular character history moments like changing the nature of T'Challa joining the Avengers to Spy (for his countries sake) into a less responsible and selfish reason like 'wanting to do cool things with white ppl an running from his responsibilities at home'

This is the modern take on the character so it's what people read after that movie btw. Which in my opinion played a part in whose voices we saw championing the removal of the character from the franchise.. people in the same literary circle as Coates.

Comics writers generally try to respect what came before them and coats came in thinking he was above it. Then left all but admitting that he never even understood it when he said he was surprised how personally people took the character (i.e. superheros as a concept).

Spoiler alert for the next nonfiction writer hired. Fans build personal connections with superheroes they like.
    Last edited by Ekie; 02-28-2024 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Not disputing the expense of T'Challla but

I don't recollect her benefitting much under Hudlin...a few really good moments but nothing character defining.

Being captured, imprisoned and used as leverage by Doom against T'Challa was certainly not beneficial to her.

Being left behind while T'Challa played Black Devil of Hell's Kitchen wasn't beneficial.

AvsX.

But then Coates made her a Wakandan Goddess to banish an X-Men villain...Yay! Superbeneficialness!!!

She joined the Avengers AND the Fantastic 4

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The reality is that Storm isn't the issue. Marvel will not allow a BP solo writer to put T'Challa in a relationship to keep that door open. They keep hinting a some future relationship where T'Challa and Storm have kids and grandkids. Meanwhile the X-office is under no restriction when it comes to having Storm in a relationship with other characters.

I don't have any problem with that. I have an issue with Marvel constantly undercutting and undermining T'Challa at every turn. Can't be king, can't be in a relationship, can't have solid wins. I don't understand why they that think this is a sustainable model for BP.
    Here hoping Hill does some big things and puts respect on T'Challas name and causes a pivot and return to status quo and beyond

Odd, it almost seems to suggest an aversion to see a Black hero win, which is what all heroes are designed to do at some point. Joking aside, are we seeing a display of a lack of cultural awareness to the point of not adding the right amount of nuance for writing an African warrior king, with superior intelligence and highly capable hero. Do we feeling leadership on guiding the main BP book just perpetual victim of a lazy kind of racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Here hoping Hill does some big things and puts respect on T'Challas name and causes a pivot and return to status quo and beyond
    Hill is off to a good start so far. His T'Challa has bass in his voice and is sure of himself. I'm wondering since the marriage with Okoye is ceremonial if T'Challa has an LI that no one knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Odd, it almost seems to suggest an aversion to see a Black hero win, which is what all heroes are designed to do at some point. Joking aside, are we seeing a display of a lack of cultural awareness to the point of not adding the right amount of nuance for writing an African warrior king, with superior intelligence and highly capable hero. Do we feeling leadership on guiding the main BP book just perpetual victim of a lazy kind of racism?
    I don't get what Marvel is trying to accomplish. They have writers that create major social issues in Wakanda where none have existed, declare that the monarchy is all wrong yet we've seen more crime in Wakanda since they became a democracy. All the while, T'Challa is chumped in favor of new characters that no one cares about or will see again. What has T'Challa or any BP fan gained out of this. Nothing.

Hill is off to a good start so far. His T'Challa has bass in his voice and is sure of himself. I'm wondering since the marriage with Okoye is ceremonial if T'Challa has an LI that no one knows about.
    Honestly? I really hope not. The ceremonial marriage is unique that T'Challa outright rejected it in the 616, but here we see he went through with it. It could lead to some interesting developments such as duty vs wants. Tradition vs progression. And I don't hate the idea at all of them developing a relationship that maybe started at a political maneuver, that turns into actual feelings. I don't want T'Challa to be sneaking around or being disloyal, it's not a good look and I don't think it would benefit him at all by doing that. Especially with Storm around

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Honestly? I really hope not. The ceremonial marriage is unique that T'Challa outright rejected it in the 616, but here we see he went through with it. It could lead to some interesting developments such as duty vs wants. Tradition vs progression. And I don't hate the idea at all of them developing a relationship that maybe started at a political maneuver, that turns into actual feelings. I don't want T'Challa to be sneaking around or being disloyal, it's not a good look and I don't think it would benefit him at all by doing that. Especially with Storm around
    Well they better do something. If there are no romantic feelings between T'Challa and Okoye, then he should have somebody. It's not a matter of being disloyal to Okoye if they don't love each other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Monica’s death was an AU

I can’t remember if the Dora comic where Nakia died came out before or after the annual where she was alive. Either way I don’t see her coming back.

Malaika can’t be used due to apparent legal issues with Gillis

NuNakia is dead

In Contest of Champions a line of dialogue from Guillotine could potentially imply that she and T’Challa had a thing when they were young since there was a paused before she could him a friend. It could be simply nothing and I’m not expecting marvel to follow up that unless Al Ewing starts writing BP somewhere again since I think he was writing that CoC series.

Shang-Chi sister is in limbo. Although they were never together I will gladly take the sister introduced by Hudlin at this point.
    Are you sure?
    I was positive Monica Lynn died in 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Are you sure?
    Apparently she died in a Black Panther Annual written by Don McGregor in 2018. There wasn't a mention of it being an alt-universe story.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Are you sure?
    Panther’s Heart an alternate past. So she can still be used just needs an update.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Panther’s Heart an alternate past. So she can still be used just needs an update.

[IMG]https://****************.ru/uploads/manga/black-panther-2016/chapters/Annual-1/02.jpg[/IMG]
    I stand corrected.

I wonder if writers just aren't interested in bringing her back. Maybe they think that there is no interesting reason to bring her back.