Page 130 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2034

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I'm in my mid 30s so 2 decades younger, I do remember 90-early 00s being good, and yes Anime wise did get a lot of the popular stuff but even then it was still really REALLY good. And wasn't afraid to be.. serious? Treat the audience like they can handle more than just jokes and goofiness? Atleast toonami did that, but it just seems like shows are all about dumb toilet humor, like worse than before
    Well, I started watching anime with Star Blazers in the 1970s, so my metrics are skewed.

I sort of agree with you about the goofiness, though. Consider the TMNT franchise in animation:

IMHO, if you look at cartoons only, it peaked in 2003.
    Last edited by DigiCom; 04-26-2024 at 04:01 AM.

This may sound bias and show my age but I really think the 90s was kinda peak for cartoons on the West atleast, but even then things like the OG DB or DBZ is so much different and had nore weight behind it than say DB super
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Well, I don't know how old you are (I'm in my mid-50s) but I tend to agree about Western animation, although I'd say there were still good cartoons in the 2000s, like JLU and the original Teen Titans.

It feels like sometime around 2012-2013, everybody just shifted three notches into the goofy end of the spectrum.

(It's a little trickier to evaluate anime since most of the stuff we get in the US comes from Weekly Shonen Jump titles. But there's a LOT more out there.)
    I'm in my mid 30s so 2 decades younger, I do remember 90-early 00s being good, and yes Anime wise did get a lot of the popular stuff but even then it was still really REALLY good. And wasn't afraid to be.. serious? Treat the audience like they can handle more than just jokes and goofiness? Atleast toonami did that, but it just seems like shows are all about dumb toilet humor, like worse than before
    I dunno. The 80s cartoon were peak for me (Late 50's by the way). We had Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Blackstar, Dungeon and Dragons, Robotech, Thundar The Barbarian, Silverhawks, G-Force, Battle of the Planets, Voltron and The Smurfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I dunno. The 80s cartoon were peak for me (Late 50's by the way). We had Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Blackstar, Dungeon and Dragons, Robotech, Thundar The Barbarian, Silverhawks, G-Force, Battle of the Planets, Voltron and The Smurfs.
    I'll note that three of the series you named were actually imported anime. And Transformers might as well have been.

Anyway, to drag this back on track... every decade or so, the core style of animation changes. I'm sure that the pendulum will swing again, particularly with the success of things like the Spider-Verse movies. I would love to see a Panther series really lean into the appropriate African art styles, for example.

I'll note that three of the series you named were actually imported anime. And Transformers might as well have been.

Anyway, to drag this back on track... every decade or so, the core style of animation changes. I'm sure that the pendulum will swing again, particularly with the success of things like the Spider-Verse movies. I would love to see a Panther series really lean into the appropriate African art styles, for example.
    There's an animated series on Disney+ with African art. I can't recall the name right now.

There's an animated series on Disney+ with African art. I can't recall the name right now.
    Are you talking about Iwaju?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Are you talking about Iwaju?
    Yeah, that's it.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Companies just have no respect for animations, its just the truth.

The 2010s were pretty bad because Cartoon Network had completely declined as a company by bulldozing every action cartoon they had to overexpose Teen Titans Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Marvel Rising (outside Ultimate Spider-man) was probably the best visually and that's not saying much.
    I remember watching a video about Marvel's Spider-Man's animation and yeah it seems like there was a lot of problems at Marvel Entertainment.

Thank God it finally closed.

Yeah, that's it.
    That's interesting, but it's still the basic Disney style with some design elements slapped on it. There was a Generation Fire project on D+ last year that had potential, but I keep going back to this picture:

While it's a redesign of The Phantom, it's also clearly African.

There was also a pretty great Afrofuturist artist we discussed a few years ago, but I'm blanking on his name.

Mighty Member

Well, I started watching anime with Star Blazers in the 1970s, so my metrics are skewed.

I sort of agree with you about the goofiness, though. Consider the TMNT franchise in animation:

I played sick a couple times so I could watch Star Blazers which aired at 2pm where I grew up. Lol
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

I just miss when stuff had more substance outside of just comedy. You can have a kids show be both and be really good. Take Avatar the last Airbender. It has a good mix of silliness to complement the story and seriousness yet a kid AND adult can enjoy it and be entertained not just by the comedy, but the story and character development, as well as the absolutely stunning fight choreography.

I see you. Raise you some swat cats, freakazoid, x men, rocks modern life, ah real monsters, Gundam wing, DBZ, OG Digimon, Rurouni Kenshin, Static shock, Spiderman, Batman, Tails spin, and gargoyles. Also beast transformers

There was also a pretty great Afrofuturist artist we discussed a few years ago, but I'm blanking on his name.
    I had to go back 8 years to find his name.

Mshindo Kuumba

I would love to see Hudlins animated series updated to 2024 and tell his stories, or Priest even. That would be awesome

That's interesting, but it's still the basic Disney style with some design elements slapped on it. There was a Generation Fire project on D+ last year that had potential, but I keep going back to this picture:

While it's a redesign of The Phantom, it's also clearly African.

You talking about Mshindo l. Kuumba?

Edit: beat me to it lol. I would take some art by the group who made Canon busters as well. Or at least the soundtrack because that was HOT

Niffleheim

I had to go back 8 years to find his name.

Mshindo Kuumba
    these creators just put two words together that would never be used as names and think that nobody in the West is going to know what they mean lol!
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-26-2024 at 07:40 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough