Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133
Results 1,981 to 1,989 of 1989

Eve at the very least wrote T’Challa as competent and you could tell she didn’t hate T’Challa like Coates and Ridley did. Her biggest sin IMO and was that the pacing was glacial.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    I say that it was unimaginative since there were so many things she could’ve done instead but we ended up with a less interesting and good take of Liss’ run but better than the last 2 runs where nearly every issue left me more frustrated than the last while her’s was average
    Yeah, Liss had pretty much covered Urban Black Panther vs crimelord so there was nothing new there. Even adding the mystical aspects didn't do much to move me. I would agree and say it was average at best and would not call Eve's run garbage.

While she did nothing to elevate BP, she didn't trash him like Coates' or Ridley's run did. It wasn't anything that knocked you off your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Kinda harsh. It’s not what I wanted but I wouldn’t call it trash. It was average and derivative but not offensive
    She stripped T'Challa of his intelligence, of his understanding of his people. Apparently cared so little that he let the city named after the person he respects the most become a crime ridden lawless city and didn't bother to check up on it. Needed to be taught that it's not the crown or the tech that makes him great (something he has already known, said, and show as much) and was so incompetent at the end he needed to be saved by the power of friendship instead of using his cast array of skills, abilities, and his mind to win.

Coates and Ridleys bar was set so low that Eve just showing up and not having characters constantly dunk on T'Challa by default made her run better. Still doesn't mean it was good. It was hot garbage, but still an improvement over steaming isht like her predecessors

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    She stripped T'Challa of his intelligence, of his understanding of his people. Apparently cared so little that he let the city named after the person he respects the most become a crime ridden lawless city and didn't bother to check up on it. Needed to be taught that it's not the crown or the tech that makes him great (something he has already known, said, and show as much) and was so incompetent at the end he needed to be saved by the power of friendship instead of using his cast array of skills, abilities, and his mind to win.

Coates and Ridleys bar was set so low that Eve just showing up and not having characters constantly dunk on T'Challa by default made her run better. Still doesn't mean it was good. It was hot garbage, but still an improvement over steaming isht like her predecessors
    This , all of this it would be ok as a BP visits a random neighboring nation story. It still bad be bad to have BP clueless but u could’ve excused as being a place he never been b4 but putting that random trash hemp in Wakanda & naming after his father is nonsense. If u want to right Batman go do that or go write Night Trasher or Moon Knight or something like that. Look sorry short leave BP/Wakanda alone & Spectrum/Photon to while we at it..

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Ewing's issue is that she was way too interested in her own Wakanda lore which knee-capped the story and pacing.

Like compare to Liss' run he manages to quickly establish BP's status in NYC, introduce the main villain in the first issue, and went straight to action.

Ewing by contrast didn't even introduce any of the crime bosses until issue 4 or 5. It was too slow-paced to its detriment. Hell Liss even had a similar character arc of T'Challa trying to find his groove, but at least Liss still wrote him doing fun stuff. Ewing was too obsessed with sightseeing over having T'Challa do anything productive.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; Yesterday at 10:52 AM.

All-New Member

Average, in my opinion, is giving Ewing's run a little too much credit. It truly was absolutely boring and I really resent T'Challa's "arc" being framed like some new revelation for him or some groundbreaking character beat that hasn't been established yet when it's been done to death. It's just that the bar is on the floor when it comes to BP, so seeing T'Challa not get relentlessly dog piled seems like a vast improvement, but overall the plot, the run, the new additions to Wakandan lore, it was all boring.

She fell into the trap that all new BP writers across mediums do, which is falling in love with the idea of Wakanda and its sandbox potential over and above our main hero. I could tell while reading how much she loved coming up with all the new vistas and locals and sub-cultures within Birnin T'Chaka and how much she wanted me to care about it as much as she did. In the end I never did.

All-New Member

There were just a lot of decisions that when I look back at Ewing's run, I genuinely shake my head and don't understand. The whole premise is that T'Challa's exiled and on his own. There's A LOT of story potential and opportunity to showcase what a solo T'Challa can do with his back against the wall, how effective he can be with limited resources etc. What does she do instead? Have him get in contact with Shuri by issue #2 and get Nightshade of all ppl to drop off a tech care package.

Why. Would. You. Do. That. Why? To prove you've read Priest era or something?

Like these writers and/or editorial are soo obsessed with making T'Challa a dependant on everyone else, they'll undercut the stakes and tension of their own plot premise by issue #2 just to show it. You got a super genius, in the most technologically advanced country in the world, and rather than think "Hey, this is a good opportunity to showcase what this character is capable of." you decide we need to spend page real estate on a NIGHTSHADE cameo to help him out. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Orogene80; Yesterday at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orogene80 View Post
    She fell into the trap that all new BP writers across mediums do, which is falling in love with the idea of Wakanda and its sandbox potential over and above our main hero. I could tell while reading how much she loved coming up with all the new vistas and locals and sub-cultures within Birnin T'Chaka and how much she wanted me to care about it as much as she did. In the end I never did.
    At the end of the day, a setting doesn't make a story. PEOPLE do. Otherwise, you have a glorified travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    At the end of the day, a setting doesn't make a story. PEOPLE do. Otherwise, you have a glorified travelogue
    Yet thats who Marvel has been hiring for the book and the main title has suffered, compare that to how is portrayed in the Avengers book and it's night and day. It's almost as if the writers WANT to write T'Challa and aren't forced to take him like he is a add-on to his own title