Page 76 of 131 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1964
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I forget, Tetu was the nature shaman rebel villain from the start of the Coates run right?

Talked a lot rhetoric about "the people" but was still willing to stoop low enough to sell out his country to foreign powers in exchange for extra firepower?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I forget, Tetu was the nature shaman rebel villain from the start of the Coates run right?

Talked a lot rhetoric about "the people" but was still willing to stoop low enough to sell out his country to foreign powers in exchange for extra firepower?
    That's the one. Coates got a lot of positive feedback about him by throwing in a scene of him doing some sort of druidic tai chi while quoting a poem by HenriyDumas.

(And crediting Dumas at the end of the indica, which meant a lot of folks thought HE wrote it.)
    Last edited by DigiCom; 02-26-2024 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I will simply note that Tetu's arguably most memorable scene was essentially scripted by someone else.
    Who was that? I don't even remember now, he was so forgettable and completely ass

Pretty sure Tetu's people were raping people too if memory serves me right

and not just any foregin powers... literal nazis lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Who was that? I don't even remember now, he was so forgettable and completely ass
    Issue #3, the whole "When I was a tree" bit.

Ultimate Member

Yes, it turned out he was a piece of crap.

He was working with Stane and some other foreign scumbags,

Coates wanted to make an ass-character into a revolutionary.

I remember this, all the literay folks were slobbering over "coates prose" that issue and completely missed he didn't even write it.

It was sadly hilarious.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I remember this, all the literay folks were slobbering over "coates prose" that issue and completely missed he didn't even write it.

It was sadly hilarious.
    Yeah, because NOBODY reads the indica.

Right yeah. But remember, this is the difference between Coates and the others. He was breaking ground! His run is more deep and complex than the others!

Fantastic Member

A few things about the shaman in my opinion:
    -I also think his people were abusing women. It's implied, far as I'm concerned, in a conversation where the Midnight Angels demand that he put a stop to his people's excesses. It's not spelled out, but I'm assuming sexual abuse was one of those excesses.
    -I don't think Coates was setting him up to be a revolutionary. I think he depicted the character pretty early on as willing to manipulate Wakandans to get what he wanted, and to be in league with Stane and other villains. I think Coates was casting doubt on people who might clothe themselves as advocates of the people, much like he also was despairing the entrenched power of the Wakandan throne. If there was one true hero of Coates's first two arcs, to me, it would be Changamire. I felt he was Coates's self-insert character, but he didn't spare Changamire from also doubting himself. Coates's writing and ruminations on the nature of power were much more nuanced than Ridley who basically said the prime minister and Tosin were right and T'Challa was wrong. What little hints Dr. Ewing gave in her run also depicted a more nuanced take on the nature of power, but unfortunately, she focused more on her supernatural story.
    -I thought the shaman had a great chance to stand out as a villain, but Coates didn't really do enough to get him there. He came off like a less fun Achebe. Further, I don't think his powers were well-defined, and I think Coates seemed more interested in Zenzi than him. I did like his look with the face paint and wished they had kept that look throughout.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 02-26-2024 at 10:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    What’s the point? She won’t matter after the series just like the Catwoman rip off won’t matter after Ewing’s run. Just like the Midnight Angels haven’t mattered since Coates. The BP IP is past the point of needing new major supporting characters. It would be ridiculous to introduce a new protege now when T’Challa still needs to be rehabilitated and you got guys like Vibraxas sitting in limbo. Introducing new side characters is a red flag for a BP title nowadays, it’s almost a guarantee the book will be slow and unfocused.
    I don’t mind NEW villains, as long as they give T’Challa a challenge and added to his rogues gallery.

Imagine an arc where Achebe and Tetu are secretly teamed up and manipulating Tosin and the Wakanda government behind the scenes. T’Challa gets wind of us and it’s up to him to put a stop to it, with the Wakanda government throwing all kinds of adversaries against him and until he exposes Achebe and Tetu. And Tosin and the government are like “Holy $^%#”
    Last edited by Will Evans; 02-26-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I don’t mind NEW villains, as long as they give T’Challa a challenge and added to his rogues gallery.

Imagine an arc where Achebe and Tetu are secretly teamed up and manipulating Tosin and the Wakanda government behind the scenes. T’Challa gets wind of us and it’s up to him to put a stop to it, with the Wakanda government throwing all kinds of adversaries against him and until he exposes Achebe and Tetu. And Tosin and the government are like “Holy $^%#”
    Who is going to use them again???

If Tosin was all that why have we NOT seen him since the book ended? Not even in Marvel Voices or the Infinity books?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    A few things about the shaman in my opinion:
    -I also think his people were abusing women. It's implied, far as I'm concerned, in a conversation where the Midnight Angels demand that he put a stop to his people's excesses. It's not spelled out, but I'm assuming sexual abuse was one of those excesses.
    -I don't think Coates was setting him up to be a revolutionary. I think he depicted the character pretty early on as willing to manipulate Wakandans to get what he wanted, and to be in league with Stane and other villains. I think Coates was casting doubt on people who might clothe themselves as advocates of the people, much like he also was despairing the entrenched power of the Wakandan throne. If there was one true hero of Coates's first two arcs, to me, it would be Changamire. I felt he was Coates's self-insert character, but he didn't spare Changamire from also doubting himself. Coates's writing and ruminations on the nature of power were much more nuanced than Ridley who basically said the prime minister and Tosin were right and T'Challa was wrong. What little hints Dr. Ewing gave in her run also depicted a more nuanced take on the nature of power, but unfortunately, she focused more on her supernatural story.
    -I thought the shaman had a great chance to stand out as a villain, but Coates didn't really do enough to get him there. He came off like a less fun Achebe. Further, I don't think his powers were well-defined, and I think Coates seemed more interested in Zenzi than him. I did like his look with the face paint and wished they had kept that look throughout.
    Everyone in Coates story was a hypocrite. Tetu and the people, The MA, changamire, Zenzi, hell even bast. But the only one who took any sort of blame was T'Challa.

The MA got what they wanted, so did changamire, Zenzi became the new Avatar of Bast despite not being Wakandan, killing Wakandans, allying with Nazis, and being a terrorist and enemy of the state. And her heel turn against Njadaka was as nonsensical as T'Challa building a whole ass statue of Nakia despite them being in the middle of an invasion. Then he killed Tetu and punked symbiotemonger to the point where T'Challas win looked less like overcoming a great adversary and more like putting down a sick animal

Zenzi’s whole character makes no sense. Killmonger experiments on her people and kills the ones he deems failures including her so in her grand scheme for revenge she allies with nazis to gentrify Harlem? Followed by joining Tetu to star a revolution in Wakanda instead of fixing her own country because? But when Tetu loses she goes back to working with the nazis and Klaw and then frees Tetu because they’re friends? Then they help symbiote NuKillmonger fuse with OG Killmonger they help revive and summons his entire army to Wakanda despite their whole thing before being down with the monarchy. Then in a “shocking twist” its revealed that she hates OG Killmonger and wants him dead despite him already being dead and she just helped him come back and made him even more powerful and gets to become the new Bast in the end because reasons?

When Coates said that he didn’t have a plan past 10 issues it shows