Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default The New Gods Appreciation 2024

The New Gods Appreciation Thread 2024

Happy New Year to the New Gods in all their Kirby Majesty !

Hoping 2024 will be the year of The New Gods

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

One of the greatest opening pages ever!

We know that Kirby had originally intended for the New Gods to appear after a Ragnarök storyline in Marvel’s Thor comic, so I always thought it was cool that a Thor-like character can been seen in the middle of the page. wearing a winged helmet and holding a hammer.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-02-2024 at 12:40 AM.

The New Gods run by Mark Evanier and Paris Cullins is classic.

Fans of the New Gods need to read Walt Simonson‘s Orion series if you haven’t already. It’s pretty damn amazing. Plus it had backup stories by Frank Miller, Dave Gibbons, Howard Chaykin, Jim Lee, Art Adams, and a number of other creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Fans of the New Gods need to read Walt Simonson‘s Orion series if you haven’t already. It’s pretty damn amazing. Plus it had backup stories by Frank Miller, Dave Gibbons, Howard Chaykin, Jim Lee, Art Adams, and a number of other creators.

And Anti-Life Equation wasn't reduced to a zombie plague as in Final Crisis and DCeased

I think the Anti-Life Equation was represented just fine in Final Crisis.

Darkseid is the god of evil but he also represents totalitarianism and dictatorship as he is obviously inspired by another jackboot wearing fascist despot. He craves absolute power over all living things. The Anti-Life Equation is the loss of free will and all emotion as it makes you a mindless puppet for Darkseid. It’s not death, it’s anti-life.

In DCeased they tried to get the Anti-Life Equation by experimenting on the Black Racer. That character is the grim reaper of the gods so things went sideways and it not only did it make people lose their freewill but become undead monsters.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I realize at this point in DC's editorial regime getting a solid and good proper New Gods series by a writer and artist of the caliber the story deserves probably wont happen but man I sure would love to see someone like Al Ewing, Mike Carey, Si Spurrier maybe even Hickman...DC could have series to rival anything Marvel has done with it's cosmic and mythological runs, but they dont sadly. Keiron Gillen would also be a fantastic choice and now that I think about it...maybe my first choice.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 01-05-2024 at 01:29 PM.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Incredible Member

Currently reading 1 half of Kirby's original run (Jimmy Olsen and New Gods)

My biggest nitpick lately with the 4th World is the constant focus on Apokolips and the negligence of New Genesis (empathise on Smallville, Snyderverse and DCAMU; Young Justice at least showed off New Genesis in their 4th season)

Oh come on Orion. It's not that bad of a face. You look cute.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I read the Orion series by Simonson and I loved it. It is absolutely one of the best books I read ever. Utterly fantastic.

This particular moment where Orion states that the New Gods have no need of worship and that the very act of living is already worship to them is one of the most badass moments ever put to page.

Orion Worship 1.jpg

Orion Worship 2.jpg

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just did a reread of the series and watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy. New Gods does all the same things and still seems wholly original . I said it on another thread, the best cinematic adaptation of the New Gods is Mad Max Fury Road. Mad Max is Mr Miracle and Furiosa is Barda. Darkseid is Immortum Joe and so on! I also feel like Kirby completely changed how Grant Morrison writes Superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just did a reread of the series and watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy. New Gods does all the same things and still seems wholly original . I said it on another thread, the best cinematic adaptation of the New Gods is Mad Max Fury Road. Mad Max is Mr Miracle and Furiosa is Barda. Darkseid is Immortum Joe and so on! I also feel like Kirby completely changed how Grant Morrison writes Superheroes.
    Interesting take, but if Mad Max was Scott Free, he'd have been able to free himself.

Personally, I think the best adaptation of New Gods was "Deadwood"
    -- Darkseid : Al Swearengen (dark lord and master)
    -- Orion : Seth Bullock (hero with a raging temper)
    -- Lightray: Sol Star (light-hearted best friend of said hero)
    -- Kalibak : Dan Dority (merciless thug for the dark lord)
    -- Desaad : EB Farnum (sniveling suck-up)
    -- Big Barda : Calamity Jane (tough as nails lady)
    -- Metron : Doc Cochran (man of knowledge, but his addiction can make him unreliable)
    -- Mantis : Mr Wu (mostly loyal to the dark lord but has his own kingdom and self-interests)
    -- Granny Goodness : Joanie Stubbs (takes care of her stable of girls)
    -- Scott Free : Wyatt Earp (a parallel to Bullock, violent past but honorable - manages to leave Deadwood behind)

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

So, that does kind of work and speaks to the quality of both Deadwood and the New Gods. Great casts in both and Timothy Oliphant is a great Orion analogue.

I got the Absolute New Gods Edition and it has a slipcase that looks like a Mother Box. At that size, a mother box looks like R2D2 from Star Wars. With all the blips and beeps, Mother Boxes had to help inspire the R2 units.