Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Master Of Kung Fu - Shang-Chi Appreciation 2024

Hi all. It's time for a new appreciation thread for Shang-Chi! Whether you have been a fan since the 1970s or just found out about him through his MCU movie, this is the place to talk about Marvel's Master of Kung Fu!

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Some recent highlights from Shang-Chi:

"I am a man of peace."

Cont'd

"I am a man of peace."

Happy New Year to the Master of Kung-Fu and his fans .

Hi all. Know I haven't posted here for a while, but just wanted to ask if anyone else read Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #2?

The main theme I got out of this was the concept of deception. All the players within the story seemed to out think and figure out the other's deceptive ploys. There were a number of parts that stood out to me were how Shang can be deceptive but he has limits. When all else fails, he relies on his incredible martial arts skills. And that comment about him becoming just like his father....that really gave me pause.

Looking forward to the next issue. Seems like there will be a meeting between Shang and the heroes and possibly a fight between him and Danny Rand.
    "I am a man of peace."

has Shang fought China's Collective Man, with his own self-duplication power? (or is that power gone now?)

Mighty Member

Is anyone a fan of the 10-Rings abilities that Shang has had since the movie was released?

How about the book itself? I picked up the first few issues of the series. Is it worth picking up the trades?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has Shang fought China's Collective Man, with his own self-duplication power? (or is that power gone now?)
    I don't believe he's ever crossed paths with the Collective Man. The self duplication powers are gone. As for dealing with the bigger issues of mainland China right now, I feel Marvel has to tread that very carefully. Tensions between America and China are fairly tense, especially with Taiwan electing a president who is not the friendliest to the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Is anyone a fan of the 10-Rings abilities that Shang has had since the movie was released?

How about the book itself? I picked up the first few issues of the series. Is it worth picking up the trades?
    I'm a fan of the ten rings. I don't mind the power boost that it gives Shang. There's such a variety of abilities offered through the Ten Rings. They can be flexible and independent or unified and strong. It would be cool to see Shang really cut loose with them.

The issue is how he can switch between the ten rings and being street level. I'm still very appreciative of the latter. Sometimes I just want to see Shang with just his Kung Fu skills and nothing else.

As for the trades, I feel they're worth it. Thankfully, Gene Yuen Lang, Dike Ruan, and Marcus To were just very solid creators who offered solid stories. They established a good basis for Shang for the future.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 02-03-2024 at 07:38 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

I prefer Shang just relying on his normal martial arts. He doesn't need the 10 Rings in my opinion.

Mighty Member

Is is me or could Shang use a writer to help make his character a bit more 3 dimensional. He has been written in the past few decades as just the stereotypical stoic Asian martial arts master. Maybe the past series does this? It just seem there is something missing to take him to the next level. I want to see his loves, losses, passions, short comings, personality quirks, etc.

Lunar New Year is coming soon. You could start this thread on the day of lunar New Year instead of the New Year.

Is is me or could Shang use a writer to help make his character a bit more 3 dimensional. He has been written in the past few decades as just the stereotypical stoic Asian martial arts master. Maybe the past series does this? It just seem there is something missing to take him to the next level. I want to see his loves, losses, passions, short comings, personality quirks, etc.
    Before the Ten Rings upgrade, I could have seen Shang as part of Christopher Priest's cast of characters on The Crew series he was writing all those years ago, if it had been allowed to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Lunar New Year is coming soon. You could start this thread on the day of lunar New Year instead of the New Year.
    Ha, well I felt it starting this thread during the western New Year was appropriate since every other Marvel character had a thread during that time.

However, since today is the start of the Lunar New Year (新年快樂 everybody!) I thought the moment was right to discuss Shang-Chi.

Reading his recent appearances, I'm wondering about Shang's future. I'm all for him still being an undisputed master of fighting and a skilled martial artist. Heck, I think there should be more scenes of him wading through hordes of henchmen and ninjas. The other part of me however would like to see exercise leadership. We see that in the Gang War issues but future Shang stories could lean into that a bit more. I envision him being more Kingpin in demeanor. I don't mean become full on villain and crushing people's skulls (though I could see stories dancing around that). Rather, I feel that I could see him sitting at the head of the table in a suit or royal garb, commanding troops and speaking with counsel. Shang could be the next great leader, not necessarily a crime boss per se, but someone who could be in the same room as Magneto, Black Panther, or Dr. Doom.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hi all. Check out the latest preview for Thunderbolts #3, featuring Shang-Chi:

"I am a man of peace."

Cont'd:

I'm liking what I see in this preview. U.S. Agent is being his usual gruff and obstinate self while Shang plays a game of death and deceit. And looking dapper as he does it. Indeed, this was what I was talking about before, Shang appearing as a modern leader who can negotiate and engage in interpersonal detente. Of course, if the need arises, he falls back on his martial arts skills. Overlooking all of this is the Winter Soldier as well. Awesome.

My only gripe? Look at the Chinese characters. They're simplified. That really irks me since Hong Kong still uses traditional.

Aside from that, I'm sold. Really looking forward to this.
    "I am a man of peace."