Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Asian Characters of Marvel Appreciation 2024

Hi all. I thought I'd try something different this year and make a thread to highlight the characters of Asian descent in the Marvel Universe. Over the years, we've seen Asian characters take on more prominent roles in Marvel. There's been a lot of success. It's my hope that more Asian characters will be recognized, acknowledged, and elevated this year.

Now I know there are threads already devoted to individual Asian characters. However, I was hoping to give this space to highlight those who are less recognized. And hey, if any the posters want to recognize the more well know characters in here, no problem. I think there's a lot of latitude in this thread.

In any case, let me get the ball rolling with the Agents of Atlas:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Thought I'd also highlight one of the Agents of Atlas, Amadeus Cho:

"I am a man of peace."

Too bad Auric and Silver never appeared on Krakoa.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

They need to bring back Jimmy Woo and the Agents of Atlas team.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Is Auric still dead? If so he should have been front of the queue for resurrection.

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see the Agents Of Atlas back again this year...including two of their later recruits not shown in the pictures above: Giant-Man (Raz Malhotra) and Protector (Issac Ikeda).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Any interaction between the nation of Krakoa and the nationalist mutant heroes of China (like Collective Man, maybe Jade Dragon, etc.) could have been neat. See the new nation dealing with heroes from a nation that actively recruits and employs its mutant citizens, instead of sending giant purple robots after them. There's bound to be conflict there, as Krakoa is open to all mutants, but MU China has in the past tried to drag back Chinese mutants who attempted to flee national service (as with Auric and Silver, IIRC, although Collective Man opposed that, and is still working for China's super-team, so perhaps that policy has been modified to be less draconian?)...

Plus, obviously, being a great excuse to show some of the Chinese mutants, both those who hang on Krakoa like Nature Girl (Lin Li) and perhaps Sprite (Hua Jiang) and Eosimias (Hong Lianje), and those who may still be working for / living in China (Collective Man, Jade Dragon, Auric, Silver).

Just wanted to give a shout out to some Asian characters out there. Definitely wanted to recognize Aero:

When I first saw here, I thought she was Marvel's version of Red Tornado. Okay, a character that could shoot concussive blasts of wind and fly. However, I was impressed with her powers. She's able to fashion wind into different objects, like swords:

Plus she can sense wind currents and use them to backtrack someone. That's different and pretty cool. Hope to see more of her someday.
    "I am a man of peace."

One of my favorite Amadeus Cho moments:

Seriously, the next big Asian hero that should premiere in the MCU should be Amadeus Cho.
    "I am a man of peace."

Temugin, also a member of the Agents of Atlas for a while.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 02-03-2024 at 09:23 PM.

OG MLF vs Agents of Atlas? Samurai, Dragoness, Kamikaze, and Sumo at least are Asians.

Amadeus was one of my favorites when I first started reading American comics. I'm not fond of him as a Hulk but Pak won me over. I'm hoping his time as the next Prince of Power gets explored further.

Blindspot from Charles Soule's Daredevil is one of my favorite legacies. I'm hoping he gets more of a push in the future.

Tiger Division was some cool new characters. I'm hoping they get another miniseries.

Simu Liu wrote a TV show pitch for Sunfire and I'm hoping it gets made.

I didn't care for Shang-chi till Gene Yang and Greg Pak wrote him. I liked Yang's additions to Shang-Chi's mythos and hope the weapon Houses pop up elsewhere.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-04-2024 at 08:39 AM.

especially as anime and manga have gone mainstream, I think more Asian-inspired characters need to be created and brought into the mainstream 616 world as well as have their own worlds, in comics, cartoons, etc.

Go into more cities-- have a hero for San Francisco, have someone for Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington. There's a substantive Vietnamese-derived presence in cities like New Orleans, Houston, greater Dallas. An author can pick up on those angles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

OG MLF vs Agents of Atlas? Samurai, Dragoness, Kamikaze, and Sumo at least are Asians.
    Did not care for the dudes, but Dragoness was my favorite (well, her and Tempo!). I love that she had a name like 'Dragoness' and her mutant power was electrical bolts from her hands (and, at least at the start, she had mechanical wings on her scaly green suit, perhaps powered by her bio-electricity? Although later she was drawn with actual organic wings, which could suggest a deliberate change, or someone not doing the research...).

At least initially, there really wasn't anything 'dragon-y' about her mutant power, she just really liked dragons, I guess? (Just like how 'Batman' doesn't really have 'bat powers,' ironically, that's *Daredevil!*)

I could see her giving Stryfe an ultimatum. "I'll totally join your Mutant Liberation Front future-guy with advanced super-tech armor! But I want a battlesuit, but it has to look dragon-y! With scales and wings and..." "No fire breath." "Aw, please..." "No, you already have lightning. Stay in your lane!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    especially as anime and manga have gone mainstream, I think more Asian-inspired characters need to be created and brought into the mainstream 616 world as well as have their own worlds, in comics, cartoons, etc.

Go into more cities-- have a hero for San Francisco, have someone for Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington. There's a substantive Vietnamese-derived presence in cities like New Orleans, Houston, greater Dallas. An author can pick up on those angles.
    https://www.thepopverse.com/dc-spiri...egends-dawn-of

Something like DC's We Are Legends would be great.