Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
    Amazing Member

What do you thing of the whole "Iron Man is Stark's bodyguard" thing? When did it start? And should it be brought back?

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    What do you thing of the whole "Iron Man is Stark's bodyguard" thing? When did it start? And should it be brought back?
    It was always a dumb idea, and I'm glad that it's gone. The thing is, everyone knew that Stark gave Iron Man his orders, invented his upgrades, and funded both him and the Avengers. In other words, everyone always knew that Stark was at least a Professor X type of superhero. And villains acted on this, attempting to kill or enslave Stark. Regular people also acted on this, going to Stark and requesting that he send Iron Man to save so-and-so.

It was as if one person was both Proff X and Wolverine, but only the Wolverine identity was secret. Why? What's the point?

I love Iron Man being Tony Stark's bodyguard .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It was always a dumb idea, and I'm glad that it's gone. The thing is, everyone knew that Stark gave Iron Man his orders, invented his upgrades, and funded both him and the Avengers. In other words, everyone always knew that Stark was at least a Professor X type of superhero. And villains acted on this, attempting to kill or enslave Stark. Regular people also acted on this, going to Stark and requesting that he send Iron Man to save so-and-so.

It was as if one person was both Proff X and Wolverine, but only the Wolverine identity was secret. Why? What's the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was an interesting twist to the secret identity angle, but ultimately unsustainable for the reasons MichaelC already elaborated upon. Hell, Tony doesn't have that many "normal" people around him that couldn't ably defend themselves in the face of significant injury or death from his numerous enemies, unlike most versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil, which is the main reason a secret identity would be needed in the first place.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think the time has passed for the secret identity angle with Tony. It’ll be hard to put that genie back in the bottle, but quite honestly I don’t want it put back. I remember how Busiek did it with metallo and that involved Stark mind wiping the whole world. I enjoy Tony not having a secret identity. Stark has evolved beyond the secret identity as a character.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I think the time has passed for the secret identity angle with Tony. It’ll be hard to put that genie back in the bottle, but quite honestly I don’t want it put back. I remember how Busiek did it with metallo and that involved Stark mind wiping the whole world. I enjoy Tony not having a secret identity. Stark has evolved beyond the secret identity as a character.
    I like the way it impacted the way the world saw Tony and his relationships, something I feel like we don't get a lot of any more.

He's not the only one. Spider-Man did the same thing, albeit with outside help from Doctor Strange.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Anyone else know that Ryan North (writer of the current Fantastic Four run) is writing the upcoming Iron Man game?

Really looking forward to that, especially knowing a great writer like him is onboard the staff.

I did too. I liked the idea of Tony creating LMDs, carrying his suit in his briefcase, Iron Man being a spokesperson for SI. It was fun.

I like the way it impacted the way the world saw Tony and his relationships, something I feel like we don't get a lot of any more.
    I remember two issues that really stood out about Tony's secret identity.

1. When the Ani-Men were trying to kill Tony and he had no choice but to reveal his identity to save his life. The expression of shock by the Ani-Men was priceless.

2. When Whitney kidnapped Beth and told her that if Tony truly loved Beth like he did her, he would have shared his greatest secret that he was Iron Man. Beth told Whitney that she already knew, that Tony didn't need to tell her. It made Whitney even crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Anyone else know that Ryan North (writer of the current Fantastic Four run) is writing the upcoming Iron Man game?

Really looking forward to that, especially knowing a great writer like him is onboard the staff.
    He writes a fun Tony though I'm really curious what kind of Iron Man game scenario he might come up with.

He writes a fun Tony though I'm really curious what kind of Iron Man game scenario he might come up with.
    That’s great news and it makes my day. Although I was hoping he was going to write Iron Man comic next. Every time he’s written Tony so far has been good to me.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

That’s great news and it makes my day. Although I was hoping he was going to write Iron Man comic next. Every time he’s written Tony so far has been good to me.
    Considering the great job he's done with the Fantastic Four thus far, yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with Iron Man. Maybe the game will be a good preview of that, assuming he isn't writing the comic, too, by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering the great job he's done with the Fantastic Four thus far, yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with Iron Man. Maybe the game will be a good preview of that, assuming he isn't writing the comic, too, by then.
    I’d love to see him get a shot at writing Tony more, but I’m not getting my hopes up. With issue 20 being the last issue of this run we should be getting an announcement soon. I wonder who will be the artist on the next volume?

I’d love to see him get a shot at writing Tony more, but I’m not getting my hopes up. With issue 20 being the last issue of this run we should be getting an announcement soon. I wonder who will be the artist on the next volume?
    Understandable, and I'd be curious about the artist for the next series, too.