Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I have been disappointed with Ram's Detective run so he wouldn't really be someone that I'd want to write GL book.

As for the last issue, again some very strong pages with his mom.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I have been disappointed with Ram's Detective run so he wouldn't really be someone that I'd want to write GL book.

As for the last issue, again some very strong pages with his mom.
    Yeah this aspect of John’s character has been a real highlight for me. Not only does it hit home, but I think it gives the character strength and depth that shines throughout the rest of the book on the whole.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah this aspect of John’s character has been a real highlight for me. Not only does it hit home, but I think it gives the character strength and depth that shines throughout the rest of the book on the whole.
    Agreed. Never related to John so much as I did this issue.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't want Ram V or some other new creative team. I'm disappointed about this, because even if we're lucky enough that John may be getting another book, it's a new creative team. And I don't want that. I want PKJ to stay on the book. When you have one of the best John Stewart writers on the book, they leave. That hurts. At least with Geoff Johns, he had over a decade writing Hal. But with John Stewart, you have an ideal John Stewart writer and he leaves merely after a year. And then the next writer comes in and disregards all of that work like they usually do.

I mean, I already knew that it's not an ongoing, but I'm enjoying this series and one of the best John Stewart stories I've ever read. And confirmation about losing this creative talent really hurts, because I'm enjoying this series.
    I definitely agree with you and it's a damn shame because this run is really connecting with me.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

I can't decide if this is wholesome or messed up. Can something be both at the same time? I feel like it will end badly, but damn if it doesn't perfectly convey the depths of John's love for his mother. Totally get why he does it because of my own experience with my grandma. There's no happy ending where dementia is concerned. That moment where he tells Shepherd that heroes are as fragile as the people they protect, and flashes to his mom was so good. This series has done a great job showing John's emotional core beneath his stoic exterior.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don't want Ram V or some other new creative team. I'm disappointed about this, because even if we're lucky enough that John may be getting another book, it's a new creative team. And I don't want that. I want PKJ to stay on the book. When you have one of the best John Stewart writers on the book, they leave. That hurts. At least with Geoff Johns, he had over a decade writing Hal. But with John Stewart, you have an ideal John Stewart writer and he leaves merely after a year. And then the next writer comes in and disregards all of that work like they usually do.

I mean, I already knew that it's not an ongoing, but I'm enjoying this series and one of the best John Stewart stories I've ever read. And confirmation about losing this creative talent really hurts, because I'm enjoying this series.
    Well that's crap. This has been a very good run for John and I'd hate to see all of the work put in this series just go away.

I haven't seen this much John Stewart, the man outside of being a GL, in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I can't decide if this is wholesome or messed up. Can something be both at the same time? I feel like it will end badly, but damn if it doesn't perfectly convey the depths of John's love for his mother. Totally get why he does it because of my own experience with my grandma. There's no happy ending where dementia is concerned. That moment where he tells Shepherd that heroes are as fragile as the people they protect, and flashes to his mom was so good. This series has done a great job showing John's emotional core beneath his stoic exterior.
    Great scene. Got some "WandaVision" finale vibes from it, but still effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wonder if PKJ isn't going to say that John is basically doing here what Radiant Dead is doing? He is obviously nicer and more elegant about all this, but at the end of the day they both are bringing back dead people.

This has been happening a lot lately at DC, it makes me think about stopping reading comics.
    I have a really hard time keeping interest in a book after a run that I consider excellent, even more when the run is interrupted before the writer wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder if PKJ isn't going to say that John is basically doing here what Radiant Dead is doing? He is obviously nicer and more elegant about all this, but at the end of the day they both are bringing back dead people.
    Oh wow good catch! I didn’t even make the connection but you’re right, both John and the Queen are “raising the dead” to serve their own purpose. John obviously has much more benevolent reasons for doing so, and his method doesn’t actually enslave the spirits of the dead, but that does make for an interesting bit of overlap between the two.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I like how both GL comics are using the rings is pretty interesting ways. Over on Hal he's rediscovered the ability to change constructs into different colors and has used it to great effect, while John managed to great a guardian to watch over his mom even while he's a far distance off.

Interestingly both are using their rings to generate people they believe they be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Interestingly both are using their rings to generate people they believe they be dead.
    Seems to be one of the first things on people's minds to do when one has a magic wishing ring and no bureaucratic oversight.

Looks like there's more going on with the Ellie construct.

Also this seems like a similar situation to Geoffrey Thorne's run.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Looks like there's more going on with the Ellie construct.

Also this seems like a similar situation to Geoffrey Thorne's run.
    Thought I recall reading an interview with PKJ saying he talked to Thorne quite a bit for insight.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Damn they just outright spoiled the big reveal in that solicit.