Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    That's not completely true. The New Mutants preceded the New Warriors by almost a decade... and technically the original X-Men team were all teens, so they could be considered the first (preceding the Titans even).
    While the characters in those books did debut as teenagers, the books themselves were not seen as nor marketed as teen superhero books in the way New Warriors and Teen Titans were.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 02-19-2024 at 06:52 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Read the first issue. I actually found myself liking the first 3/4ths of the issue.

In terms of characterization, I liked Dwayne's. Here was a character caught in a crossroads. I liked the tension between his desire and reluctance to leave the past.

The last 1/4th of the issue......
    I share this opinion ^

I saw and read enough good in the first 75% of the story that i'm willing to give the story a chance. As it stands it's only 4 issues (?) so short of something ridiculously off putting i'm willing to invest in the full run even if it's average.

I had a bit of a "side eye moment" when some dialogue by a family member was uttered and after the O.G. reveal but , again, it wasn't enough to completely ruin the issue for me. I'd say it reduced my initial rating by a point .

I will say this - i've never been a fan of title characters getting their butts handed to them by the opposition in a first issue. There's a better way to make the reader view the antagonist as a legitimate threat than to give them a clean victory over the protagonist in issue #1. Oddly enough that, more than the other annoyances pointed out, is what really caused me to turn up my nose. I recall .... The Signal receiving the same treatment.

I look forward to issue #2 .
    Don't complain. Create.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    I share this opinion ^

I saw and read enough good in the first 75% of the story that i'm willing to give the story a chance. As it stands it's only 4 issues (?) so short of something ridiculously off putting i'm willing to invest in the full run even if it's average.

I had a bit of a "side eye moment" when some dialogue by a family member was uttered and after the O.G. reveal but , again, it wasn't enough to completely ruin the issue for me. I'd say it reduced my initial rating by a point .

I will say this - i've never been a fan of title characters getting their butts handed to them by the opposition in a first issue. There's a better way to make the reader view the antagonist as a legitimate threat than to give them a clean victory over the protagonist in issue #1. Oddly enough that, more than the other annoyances pointed out, is what really caused me to turn up my nose. I recall .... The Signal receiving the same treatment.

I look forward to issue #2 .
    I didn't expect that type of beatdown either. Old school Thrash would have had other gear to assist him like some type of tear gas or something similar. I bet this is the reason we get the new armor/new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Not a fan of the O.G. reveal. Also does Sil look different to anyone else?. Always looked more mixed (black/asian with lighter skin).
    She does look less mixed race than previous portrayals...

Though looking back for an example where she was more clearly Asian/Black mix, I'm struggling...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I didn't expect that type of beatdown either. Old school Thrash would have had other gear to assist him like some type of tear gas or something similar. I bet this is the reason we get the new armor/new look.
    I can grudgingly accept the beat down as a plot device. With that said though....and i don't want to come off as being dramatic but....

I just want comic book heroes in the capes genre to kick ass again.

I want to be excited about Marvel and DC characters but FFS do they make it difficult when it absolutely does not need to be.

I buy and read a book like "The Sacrificers" by Rick Remender for different reasons than i buy and read Night Thrasher or Cyborg for example. If one of the core reasons that the capes genre resonates is due to wish fulfillment...then ******* fulfill some wishes LOL. Show cool costumes. Punch some robots. Shoot some lasers. Fight off a horde of villainous troops. Show battle damaged armor.

Just DO something other than stand around or , in Night Thrashers case, get your ass beat.

It's only issue one of Night Thrasher though so the best , i'm sure, is yet to come.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Though looking back for an example where she was more clearly Asian/Black mix, I'm struggling...
    Hmmm yes she's definitely lost her Asian influence from the pics you've posted.

Awful art. Dwayne looks like he's 50, Sil cannot stand like that without her legs braces, and no Asian in the mix in that last picture. Ah, I miss it when editors actually worked on the consistency of the characters.

Peace

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Awful art. Dwayne looks like he's 50, Sil cannot stand like that without her legs braces, and no Asian in the mix in that last picture. Ah, I miss it when editors actually worked on the consistency of the characters.

Peace
    Yes the art is not great. I was a bit worried that Thrash would not get a really good artist. But at least Thrash fans have something to talk about. Finally.

Mighty Member

Here is the preview for issue #2:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nigh...l-new-threads/

They keep those new costumes coming for Dwayne (and his successors as Thrash) but nothing beats the kinetic simplicity of his original design with weaponize sk8 gear. Even something as little as the sleeves being fabric (likely reinforced) instead of fitted armor, makes all the subtle difference.

They keep those new costumes coming for Dwayne (and his successors as Thrash) but nothing beats the kinetic simplicity of his original design with weaponize sk8 gear. Even something as little as the sleeves being fabric (likely reinforced) instead of fitted armor, makes all the subtle difference.

^^^If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, right there.

Thrash had some stones, I tell you!

Nice variant covers conveying Dwayne as almost a peer to Bruce Wayne. Love when they remember to include skateboard details.

Nice!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Read the first issue. I actually found myself liking the first 3/4ths of the issue. Now, I'll be honest, I'm not all that familiar with Night Thrasher's past events and continuity, but I could sense that the writer was using these elements. There was enough to make me want to reread Dwayne's past adventures and find out for myself.

In terms of characterization, I liked Dwayne's. Here was a character caught in a crossroads. I liked the tension between his desire and reluctance to leave the past.

The last 1/4th of the issue, I'll agree with others, I was on the fence. Seeing spoilers:
    Rage
    end of spoilers as the OG made me sigh. Over the past couple of years, this character has been just a punching bag of sorts. He's used to highlight societal issues of the day (indeed, the whole store robbery scene reminds me of these post-Covid reports of increasing crime rates in cities across America.) The character has been used to bring to light relevant themes, but he's always been on the losing end character wise. A couple of months ago, I wrote how I could see this character leaving the past behind, going to ESU or NYU, getting a degree, and becoming a key member of Luke Cage's administration.

What happened in the issue was the complete opposite of that.

I'm still interested in the story though. The OG could be used as a means of redeeming and building Dwayne up. My only hope is that the OG is built up along with him as well. By the end of the series, he should be in a better place characterwise.
    Yeah, the OG is really out of character. Not sure why they would want to go this route with him.