Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Thank God I read this in the collected edition, not monthly"

Have you ever finished a collected edition(s) of an event or story and thought to yourself "that was good, but man am I glad I was able to read that in a collected edition and didn't have to buy all the individual issues!"

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s kind of the point and the joke, but the Nextwave issue where most of the book is just double page splashes of fighting.

Inhuman versus x-men

Definitely, my choice would be Hawkeye: Freefall (Otto Schmidt & the artwork helped... ):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest. They were great.

Fantastic Member

Inferno Omnibus. Some parts of the story (especially the New Mutants chapters and the point where X-Men fights X-factor) seem to just be dragging the story out. Reads better when you have the whole thing with all the tie-ins.

Mighty Member

Runaways digests. The plot twists and cliffhangers would have killed me!

I'm starting to feel this way in general. I prefer reading the full story at once, after it's available in its entirety. can't really do that with singles....

I'm the same way with any for of serial story-telling - when there's a show I enjoy, I wait til the entire season is out and "binge" rather than watching piecemeal, for the most part.

it's just easier to keep track of what's going on, without needing recaps and the like. when there's a week or a month of real-world time between instalments, the details of the previous entry tend to fade in memory by the time the next entry appears... and so on.
    Last edited by Aarkus; 02-09-2024 at 11:57 PM.

BANNED

Bendis' DD. It was great, but man did it take forever to move the plot along.

Hickman’s Avengers/New Avengers epic is pretty much the definition of “writing for the trades.” Slow-burn pacing, huge cast of characters, complex interwoven storylines, and Hickman’s Big Idea metaphysics. Plus I would have had to buy 2 issues a month. I binged it in trades over a couple months, and it was an awesome experience, but it might have been frustrating if I’d read it as it came out. (In fact, I’ve read comments by multiple readers saying exactly that.)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Hickman’s Avengers/New Avengers epic is pretty much the definition of “writing for the trades.” Slow-burn pacing, huge cast of characters, complex interwoven storylines, and Hickman’s Big Idea metaphysics. Plus I would have had to buy 2 issues a month. I binged it in trades over a couple months, and it was an awesome experience, but it might have been frustrating if I’d read it as it came out. (In fact, I’ve read comments by multiple readers saying exactly that.)
    I was coming here to write this exactly.

I read this after it ended and I cannot even imagine reading this monthly.

The same goes for Hickman's Fantastic Four there is so much nuance and small details that I would have forgotten.

Quoted for truth. I was definitely confused upon reading the issues as they came out. However, reading the run in totality (as well as knowing where the story was going), I could see the story's brilliance.

As for me, I have just read Slott's collected run of Superior Spider-Man. That was fun and quite honestly I'm glad I didn't have to wait weeks or months between issues.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The same goes for Hickman's Fantastic Four there is so much nuance and small details that I would have forgotten.
    This is on my reading shortlist for this year. My library has the whole run in trades (according to the catalog, anyway).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

This is on my reading shortlist for this year. My library has the whole run in trades (according to the catalog, anyway).
    You're in for real treat, it's the run that got me interested in the FF in the first place and it is a great prelude to Hickman's Avengers run.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    You're in for real treat, it's the run that got me interested in the FF in the first place and it is a great prelude to Hickman's Avengers run.
    Yeah, that’s what I’ve always heard. Kind of can’t believe I haven’t read it already.