Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Yes! Let man create. Haters can just ignore and don't read.
    His Gambit mini was cool and I would be happy to read more.

No, his original stuff was great, but he lost his thunder decades ago.

No. Nope. Never again. He's had multiple chances to come back and they have been... not so great.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

No x-men as a concept has evolved beyond cc. This like bringin stan lee or roy thomas back after cc.

Yes please. Bring him back. I loved gambit and new x-treme and i just read the first madripoor knights issue.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Bring him back I say. I'm sure he would accept to write a monthly book (or 3) in a heartbeat. I would love to have him work in tandem with newcomers Simone and MacKay to drive the X-franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No...

An incredibly small slice may have connected with whoever you are talking about.

Let me know when they are stepping over each other to get to X-Treme X-Men.
    X-treme x-men sold better than New X-men and the others at the time. it came out bi monthly and was doing like 60k an issue. It just wasn't getting the hype from the shops new x-men was but it consistently made the numbers even after they dwindled the team and took away the artist.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Let the old man rest please.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.
    What's sad to me about this is that he was unceremoniously fired *because* he kept trying to push the x-men forward from nostaglia from his previous work. Sometimes that was a hot mess, but usually it was amazing and he set the course for so many "best practices" for storytellers.

His gambit mini was rock solid, but honestly the characters are so far removed from his vantage point he probably wouldn't want to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    What's sad to me about this is that he was unceremoniously fired *because* he kept trying to push the x-men forward from nostaglia from his previous work. Sometimes that was a hot mess, but usually it was amazing and he set the course for so many "best practices" for storytellers.

His gambit mini was rock solid, but honestly the characters are so far removed from his vantage point he probably wouldn't want to come back.
    He definitely wants to come back he talks about it all the time.

I don’t think he’s just stuck in the past though, I think he has changed to the point that he would be bad by 1980s standards now. I think somewhere along the way he fundamentally lost touch with what gave his take on the X-Men meaning. Back then his stories were so progressive and interesting and when I read his comments on current mutant politics I feel like he’s lost that. Even his X-Treme was like “mutants are bad and need cops” as its core thesis which felt so different than what he was putting out in the late 80s. And nothing he’s written in the last 10-15 years has been readable.

All he talks about at cons is how he wanted to make Kitty Pryde become magically transformed into a Black woman who is related to Storm and T’Challa. The man is not in a place to write for the modern day.

I'd take Claremont stuff over Gillien any day of the week. I enjoyed gambit and the recent x-treme more than i have a lot of immortal or judgement and so on.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-22-2024 at 07:02 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    No. I'll always love his earlier work, but I haven't liked a single X-book he's written in the past 20 years. Not to mention, he left the books in 91. So I'm not sure how much credit he should get for 90's X-Men nostalgia.
    I feel the way you do. At the time, especially early on Claremont was on his game. But towards the end, his comics were unbearable for me to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Bring him back I say. I'm sure he would accept to write a monthly book (or 3) in a heartbeat. I would love to have him work in tandem with newcomers Simone and MacKay to drive the X-franchise.
    This is how I feel. With the new era of books not being as interconnected as Krakoa's era I think it'd be fun to have him play with a slice of the upcoming status quo.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

If Lord Claremont and Lord Ewing teamed up and took over the franchise, it would be great. But Lord Claremont alone? I do fear he's a bit out of touch with modernity. I still enjoy some of his works(the recent Gambit series was cool), but Marvel dropped the ball with him back in 1991 when they picked Jim Lee over him(and they got what they deserved when Jim left 8 issue later!!!), and I don't think they'll ever be able to recapture that lightning in a bottle again. He had an epic run back in the day, never matched creatively or in terms of financial success. I liked his X-Treme run too, but even there they had moved him to the side and it was Morrison's run that set the tone(though I really thought he did a great job working within that world, and connecting to New X-Men with his plots/etc).

As far as the X-Men have evolved beyond him? I don't see any evidence of that. The franchise literally is still circling the drain in his absence. All his stories, all his characters/characterizations, still form the core of the franchise. Even Morrison's and Hickman's runs are reactions to his. The whole dramatic soap opera that attaches us to these characters is Claremont's work. Take away his characterizations, stories, and themes, and you have almost nothing left. It is completely disrespectful, and delusional, to suggest otherwise.

This modern Krakoa era was intriguing, but it was a mess, and Hickman didn't even finish it. And Duggan and Gillen are certainly not doing a better job. I've completely checked out with their stories at this point, really only interested in Lord Ewing's work, which unfortunately is coming to an end next month. As for what comes next, the previews we have seen so far give me no indication that it will be interesting or even good. So no, if anything, the franchise has devolved in Lord Claremont's absence. The only glimmer of hope of late has been the phenomenal debut of '97, and lo and behold, all the best beats are ripped straight from Lord Claremont's handbook.

The franchise needs writers who are devotees of Lord Claremont, but offer modern, fresh takes in terms of dialog and delivery(like Lord Ewing). But let our Lord Claremont rest. He's done great works, but that period of creativity was decades ago, and marred by a betrayal that is hard, perhaps impossible, to truly overcome. We shall never know its like again. Only a creator-owned book could operate like that in this age.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 03-22-2024 at 07:31 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!