Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Not to you specifically (but feel free to answer), what are the criticisms folks have of Simone’s writing? I found her DC runs on BoP, and SS enjoyable but it’s been a WHILE since I read them. Is it just that it’s been so long since she’s had a big hit? Or something about her dialogue or character writing?
    For me, I really hate her humor. Granted, this just came from me reading her Domino series and its annual. The humor just didn't click with me, it felt really forced and annoying. Like that weirdly specific sense of humor a lot of female writers (and Ryan North, to a lesser extent) had during the late 2010's. Where it was trying to be nonchalant and fun, but it really came off as annoying and immature. Domino came off as a bit of an airhead, and it didn't help that the humor made her and her team sound similar at times. And it was jarring to jump between that humor and the serious, grounded story we were getting. Which was a shame, because the first arc's story was really good. And the annual had some bangers in it.

I know humor is subjective. I guess I wasn't the target audience for it. But for me, it killed a lot of my interest in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Avengers is by far the worst thing (and the only bad thing) MacKay ever did. Terrible line-up, and just horribly decompressed fights.
    Now this is a first. MacKay's Avengers run being described as decompressed. If anything it's the opposite of decompressed comics IMHO. Going to have to agree to disagree in that one.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Now that Krakoa is basically done I can maintain that there is no X run that can compare to Claremont's. Now for me that is talking about the Uncanny Run up until the Jim Lee imposed exit. My favorite storyline ever was Mutant Massacre thru the Outback ending in Inferno. If not in charge of the entire X-verse I prefer an X-treme X-men approach; give him some characters to do with what he will, instead of X-Men Forever alt universe type book. At first I was jazzed at the idea of a Claremont return to all the toys in the forever book but then he did stuff like killing Logan which he could/would never so in the "real" continuity and it made it seem all fake. I get the feeling he really would not like to be forced into crossovers with other projects/writers he had no control over. For me ideally an X-book with say Alex, Maddy, Lorna, Bishop, Sage, DeCosta, and Warren (big enough but probably not the top draft pick of the other X-writers) and having access to all the rest without being pulled into crossovers with the rest except on his terms would be ideal for Claremont and I would enjoy the most. Unlike artists who slow down over time, writers in theory can still put out high quality work as they advance in age. 80% Claremont is better than most x-writers since his departure. As always a strong editor would be required so that Claremont in a fit of pique didn't hamstring another title by having Gladiator throw Logan into a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think a case can be made for perhaps giving Claremont a mini, or an ongoing, in his own self-contained universe with a more 'back to basics' approach to the franchise. Something akin to an X-men '92. Recapture the glory years.
    They tried that with Forever, and it didn't work. I even spoke with Lord Claremont about it on Facebook onetime and it seemed he didn't quite accept that Forever was a non-mainline continuity story and somehow still counted the same? (Maybe in terms of it counts for a check in your account, sure, but my liege, come now?)

They broke the streak. It can't be reforged. And it's been like a solid ass 30 years since now. In another dimension, where Chris never got fired, and he kept writing uninterrupted, from 1991 onward to today, that would be interested to see. But in this dimension, that ship sailed long ago.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Avengers is by far the worst thing (and the only bad thing) MacKay ever did. Terrible line-up, and just horribly decompressed fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Now this is a first. MacKay's Avengers run being described as decompressed. If anything it's the opposite of decompressed comics IMHO. Going to have to agree to disagree in that one.
    Definitely agree, MacKay's Avengers isn't decompressed at all. The plot has been moving along pretty well and hasn't been bogged down with subplots. And the line-up is pretty solid.